How to maintain a vertical fall

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How to maintain a vertical fall

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Today I was casting and pitching my Sweet Beaver into pockets that formed among dense vegetation that nearly mats on the surface. I was trying to maintain a vertical fall so that the lure fell directly into the hole. What's the best way to achieve this? Stripping line by hand immediately after the lure hits the water? Or letting the lure free fall allowing the weight of the lure peel line off? Thanks. :)

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How to maintain a vertical fall

Post by JayInGrapevine » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:11 am

Put a little arch on your pitch so it's heading down as it hits. In matted stuff like that, you can make a splash and not spook fish as badly. I actually think it gets their attention in those conditions. Anyway, put arch on it so it has some slack to start down with, then start stripping right away, at least one or two swings worth.

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:44 am

easiest solution would be to flip instead of pitch.
If you must pitch for distance, just manually let out line with your fingers once the bait hits the water. It's not a perfect solution, but it works.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:01 am

make sure when you finish the pitching motion to end up with your rod tip as high as you can. Once the lure hits the water lower your rod tip quickly.
If you need more line you can feed line from the reel.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I have been getting my Fat Ikas pounded by Bass this season so far but for the life of me they wont take my Beavers. I dont know whats going on.. I agree with the side cast though it seems like they fall slower the lower the line is to the water on the cast, but you want them to land on the belly when it touches the water for the most hang-time. This is what ive noticed.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:30 pm

Best option is an oversized spinning reel. Otherwise, I just hand strip...make sure to watch out the the unexpected hit on the fall though.

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:I have been getting my Fat Ikas pounded by Bass this season so far but for the life of me they wont take my Beavers.
Well the bass out in st.clair are eating the beavers up.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:59 pm

I had a Smallie Beaver California 420 next to a crayfish in one of the local ponds this past Sunday...and the color between the two were VERY SIMILAR!!

BTW...the California Smallie Beaver on a 3/16oz Owner Ultrahead Bullet Weight is killer for cruisers here in our clearer water ponds.