US Reels spinning reels?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

US Reels spinning reels?

Post by Questor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:33 am

I'm in the market for a new spinning reel and am considering the US Reels spinning reels. One in a smaller size suitable for small fresh water fish like largemouth bass.

Have you got one? Are they any good? Have you tried it with braid? Thanks.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: US Reels spinning reels?

Post by ultralight » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 am

I had a few and found them OK. However, using Fireline and other braided line, I did not find longer casting distances. I had extensive conversation with one of the higher up guys on the company and he agreed as much with braided lines.

For the $, it's functional but there are smoother reels if that's one of your criteria. One of the big plus for me is that they are an American company and used to make the reels in the USA but I'm not sure if they still do.

BPS has similar in house branded reel.

UL

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks. Smoothness is very important to me.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:05 pm

You should be able to find some interesting notes on the US Reel if you do a search.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:17 am

If smoothness is your thing and you want an 100% American made product.

Go here.

http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/products/ ... ?prodId=44

IT's about a 2500 in size.

I've been using this reel for 6 months to put through the ringer (ie try to break it and drive it in the ground). It's been handling great and it also handles fluorocarbon exceptionally well.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

gooter4
Angler
Angler

Post by gooter4 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 am

ultralight wrote:I had a few and found them OK. However, using Fireline and other braided line, I did not find longer casting distances. I had extensive conversation with one of the higher up guys on the company and he agreed as much with braided lines.

For the $, it's functional but there are smoother reels if that's one of your criteria. One of the big plus for me is that they are an American company and used to make the reels in the USA but I'm not sure if they still do.

BPS has similar in house branded reel.

UL
I have a U.S. reel supercaster and love it. However, I also have the new BPS Pro Qualifier PQ4000B and in my opinion is alot smoother and cast just as well as my U.S. reel. Also cost half the price. Braid works good on both reels but I lose a little distance with lighter lures. Good luck, JG
JG

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:25 pm

I have a U.S. reel supercaster and love it. However, I also have the new BPS Pro Qualifier PQ4000B and in my opinion is alot smoother and cast just as well as my U.S. reel. Also cost half the price
Is it just me, or is there something about this statement that doesn't make sense?
I mean whey would you "love" a reel that isn't smooth and cost twice as much as a reel that is?

mikey
Angler
Angler

Post by mikey » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:55 pm

I have the US Reel Supercaster 225 ( first model made).
I am not impressed with the drag. It goes from slight to lock down with little adjustment. In the upper range, smooth it is not.
I used 20# Power Pro and it worked OK fishing weightless tubes.
mikey

arley
Angler
Angler

Post by arley » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:44 am

If you check Cabelas bargain cave in Hamburg there are 3 or 4 U.S. Reels that were returns or exchanges or faulty. They are marked as is. makes me wonder.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:19 pm

I was just looking at my new BASS mag and the US reels had 2 page layout and they are made here in STL MO right by me so I might have to go check them out. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Phnd
Angler
Angler

Post by Phnd » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:03 pm

Putting a larger spool on a rod with to small guides causes excess drag on the line and would lose distance rather than gain. Reel sizes and diameter of the spools have been standardized and rods are mas-marketed accordingly. In order to get the casting distance that's claimed you'd have to use a rod with the proper sized (larger) guides which pretty much means a custom built rod.

Note: Guide #1 is approx. 1/2 the diameter of the spool.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Phnd,

Conventional wisdom is indeed that the 1st guide should be 1/2 size of spool. However, it depends on line. With very fine braided lines in the 4 lb test range, I've found no discernible difference. In fact, a cheapie Spincast reel with is very restrictive cover still casts amazingly far with some braided lines. This is due to the slick nature and almost memoryless nature of braided.

UL