Daiwa Millionaire cvz253a question

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
NBS
Angler
Angler

Daiwa Millionaire cvz253a question

Post by NBS » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:27 pm

I have always been a shimano person, but right now have the opportunity to pick up a millionaire cvz253a for an amazing price. I searched and didn't find much on this reel. Anyone here ever used one? How do they hold up, any help would be appreciated. Even though the price is great , if it doesnt hold up, it wont be worth it. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Schuler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Daiwa Millionaire cvz253a question

Post by Schuler » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:26 pm

I love my cvx-253a's...and the cvz's are smoother. They and the pflueger trion (round version) are the only reels I've had stand up to the muskie fishing abuse

NBS
Angler
Angler

Post by NBS » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:53 pm

thanks for the info. I decided to pick it up. Brand new in the box for a whopping 35 bucks. How could I pass that up.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Even @ $150.00, that reel is still a bargain...too bad I missed the $99 sale a few years ago @ Cabelas...

BTW, the 203A was used for small-med Tarpon as a promo when it came out...no probs.

Great round reel, very sturdy, great casting, exceptionally strong/rigid frame, smoother than Calcutta A series, nicely machined and cleanly detailed.

Just change out drag to Carbontex and it'll become one of your go to round reels.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:50 am

I use mine for casting to Chinnook salmon paired with a Fenwick heavy action rod and 50lb braid. I throw glow spoons at night so the thick line does not matter and the hookup and fight is exceptional. The drag on the CVZ is Smooth and it casts well too. In terms of comparison it's on par with the Calcutta TE. Truth be tols I like a Daiwa Advantage for this application even more than the CVZ however as it's pretty much the same inside but has the external cast control and it's low profile. Thge Advantage is also a good Bass reel. The old original Advantage even held as much line as the CVZ 203LA I own. Still for $35 it's a completre no brainer. I'm jealous for sure. snidley