Line on Reels 0n Airplanes ????

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Line on Reels 0n Airplanes ????

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:35 pm

Heading to Canada in Sept and I always carry my reels with me on the plane, and always has line on them. My friend thinks that is a no no, reels with line, and security will make me take off the line ???????????????

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Line on Reels 0n Airplanes ????

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:50 pm

HUH!? :? Why?
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

venomous grin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by venomous grin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:51 pm

i'm guessing a strangle hazard?
Made In The U.S.A.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:55 pm

RWSCHMITZ wrote:...that is a no no, reels with line, and security will make me take off the line ???????????????
They're afraid you will use it for a garrote?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Just don't try to carry your reels on. If you check them in your luggage, they may inspect it but I really don't imagine TSA would strip the line off your reels. Might not hurt to carry a few spools of line just in case though. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:19 pm

mhood wrote:Just don't try to carry your reels on. If you check them in your luggage, they may inspect it but I really don't imagine TSA would strip the line off your reels. Might not hurt to carry a few spools of line just in case though. ;)
"mhood"...it's even worse than you might imagine: I tried it - reels as a "carry on". The TSA official called a Houston Cop to inspect the reels and I was then subjected to the most mundane of fishing stories about how he and his brother had just "nailed them in East Bay" in the "Old Days".

The horror....

Rojo

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Arrrrgh!!! Idle conversation with the TSA. I forgot to pull my plastic bag with my 3 oz. of hair spray and my little tube of Crest out of my carry on last trip out of DFW. I thought for a second it was going to be a full body cavity search but it turned out the TSA guy was a good egg...I don't know how he got his job. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:37 pm

RojoKayako wrote:
mhood wrote:Just don't try to carry your reels on. If you check them in your luggage, they may inspect it but I really don't imagine TSA would strip the line off your reels. Might not hurt to carry a few spools of line just in case though. ;)
"mhood"...it's even worse than you might imagine: I tried it - reels as a "carry on". The TSA official called a Houston Cop to inspect the reels and I was then subjected to the most mundane of fishing stories about how he and his brother had just "nailed them in East Bay" in the "Old Days".

The horror....

Rojo
Hahaha.. Gotta be the funniest thing I've read all day.. Kindda sad now that I think about it.. :oops:

DougSmith
Angler
Angler

Post by DougSmith » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:47 pm

DO NOT CARRY REELS IN A CARRY ON BAG!!!!

You can put them in your regular luggage with little problems, but if you try to carry them on, then they will make them be stripped of line.

Also, carry no lures with hooks on them or any sharp edges.

This is what we have to do as americans, so no further airplanes can be hijacketed with any fluorocarbon lines. :D

greatbarracuda
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by greatbarracuda » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:56 pm

I've flown from within Canada with reels with line on them before. Out of four such flights, was told that line normally wasn't supposed to be permitted once but was always allowed to pass without hassle. Your results may vary.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:25 am

In Europe and Africa (Egypt) I've taken reels with line in my carry-on, never a problem. On my last trip to Norway I had to unpack it but that time I had 4 big reels, camera, binoculars, phone etc in there so it looked a bit of a mess on the x-ray ;)

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 am

can you imagine the damage you can do to someone with 80 lb Power Pro! :shock:

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:53 am

I travel a lot with reels to conduct seminars. I have been hassled before saying that you can strangle someone. I just put the reels in my check on bag now.

Usually they don't hassle you but its not worth it to strip off a bunch of fresh line to carry the reel on.

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 am

My recent experience has been that it's best to ask. Last time I flew a couple of weeks ago I boarded the plane with a couple of knives in my pocket, but the TSA confiscated my sunscreen.

halibaitor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by halibaitor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Questor wrote:Last time I flew a couple of weeks ago I boarded the plane with a couple of knives in my pocket, but the TSA confiscated my sunscreen.
That sure makes me feel a lot safer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing worse than being hijacked by a terrorist armed with that deadly sunscreen. :shock: