Need a new Jig rod

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need a new Jig rod

Post by JustinNJ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:33 am

My choices
Gloomis MBR844C glx
Gloomis BCR854 glx
Daiwa Steez Compile-X STZ 711HFBA
Megabass Bearing Down F5-66X
St. Croix Legend Elite EC68MXF

other recommendations please.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need a new Jig rod

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:42 am

The Bearing down is hands down one of the best jig rods made, but if you need a stout longer rod def go with the Compile X for fishing heavier cover. I lpve the bearing down and Im looking at getting the compile X for worms since I want a longer rod for deeper water. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

ZPIfan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ZPIfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:54 am

I can't see why one would spend up to nearly 3 x as much for a rod that has hardly any performance upgrade when compared to a Powell. Take a look at the link below and find the one that suits your requirement. If you're looking for an all-around jig rod, the 703 CEF is the one!

www.powellco.com/trj.php
Sunline, Powell Rods, Team Daiwa, NoSweat Mist, Kaenon, Pepper Custom Lures, Ichiban Minnow & ZPI

JustinNJ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JustinNJ » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:58 am

i have looked at the powells, but are they as sensitive as the ones i have listed?

ZPIfan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ZPIfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:01 am

I have not seen ANY loss of sensitivity in the Powells whatsoever. For the price, they are AMAZING!!!
Sunline, Powell Rods, Team Daiwa, NoSweat Mist, Kaenon, Pepper Custom Lures, Ichiban Minnow & ZPI

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:12 am

And your sponsored by them right?? ;) :roll: With the GLX and Powells they feel like they are going to turn over when setting the hook and fighting the fish, with the Bearing and compile there is no twisting in the blanks. I love my powell dont get me wrong and its great for the $$$, but he seems to be looking for a "higher" end rod and for that Id go with the Bearing Down for jigs.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

ZPIfan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ZPIfan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 am

Skeeter, yes I am sponsored by them as my signature states. The only thing that the Megabass has is fancy proprietary colored Fuji parts that DO NOT aid in the sensitivity while fishing a jig when compared to any other rod. Do a search on here and see what kind of customer service you'll get from Megabass USA if you happen to break that Bearing Down. The GLX series of rod's used to be king, no question, but that was about 6-7 years ago. Now all the other companies have caught up with quite a few even surpassing them, yet some of these companies are half the sticker price.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:54 am

I'm assuming the bearing down rod is a spiral rod. If your rod is turning over while fighting a bass I would call your local doctor as you might have a case of arthritis. Tuna fishing yeah, but not bass fishing. I have over 8 years of fishing and building spiral wrap rods and I have found that there is pretty much zero advantages to them. I will also say there is zero disadvantages to them as well.

Since we are pimping sponsors I'd highly reccomend the Dobyns Jig rod. It's much more balanced than the Powell not to mention purtier than all the rods listed above (not sure about the Steez or the Megabas but certainly cheaper) . The 765flip or 766 flip is what I would reccomend for a flipper depending on jig size. For a casting jig rod I would choose the 764C. Best warranty in the business.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am

T Mike wrote:I'm assuming the bearing down rod is a spiral rod.
Nope... it's a conventionally wrapped rod.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 am

Cal, Whats the reasoning for naming a rod "bearing down"?? Just a curious :).

But regaurdless if it's spiral wrap or whatever a rod twisting is a minimal issue in bass fishing. It does have a cool look to it tho.

Mike

OK I'll shut up now :)
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:56 am

My Bass tournament fishing neighbor finally got me to sell him my 7', 6" Extra Heavy Kistler LTA Helium rod. He wanted it strictly for pitching jigs. He told me two days ago, he's won a little over $4,000 in tournament winnings using that rod..... Rods don't come any lighter in weight or as sensitive as a LTA Helium if those qualities are important to you Justin.

Dan

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:25 pm

What about the LTX?? :thinking: All rods mentioned are great jig rods and it pretty much comes down to buying all of them haha.. :P
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:52 pm

Justin,

That list is a wide variate of rods. The St Croix 68MXF should be removed from the list. It is a nice rod but not designed for jigs.(no backbone). I had one, good rod but not heavy enough for jigs.

What length rods do you like fishing with? Your list is a bit wide.

For heavy cover I use a Dobyns 736C Champion. 14-25, 3/8-2 Heavy Flip, Ex-Fast. I have a Calcutta 200GTB mounted on it. One sweet setup. For any jig fishing other than heavy cover I use a DX734C 10-20, 1/4-1, heavy, fast action.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:33 pm

I Would also go with a Dobyns here, as I have heard all good stuff from friends who has them. My next stick is definitely going to be a Dobyns, except if someone decides to sell their Diablo SB
(hint, hint).. hehe.. Ironic thing is, didnt Mr. Dobyns design the Powell max rods then split shortly thereafter??

ZPIfan wrote:Do a search on here and see what kind of customer service you'll get from Megabass USA if you happen to break that Bearing Down.
A good friend of mine just had a nightmare experience with Powells Cust. sErvice / warranty. From this standpoint, theyre not looking any better than MB-USA.. :cry:

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:52 pm

I've been using my Powell 764 all year since I've been too lazy to trade my Loomis 844 in. I really like the 764. I believe it was designed by Gary Dobyns while he was with them. Its comparable to the 844 however I really like using as long a rod I can get away with for better hook sets. The rod has handled 7 and 8lb fish very well in all types of situations. I don't know about the rod turning as I've never experienced it. Also I can't comment on the other rods you've mentioned as I've never used them.

good luck.