Cutting braided line

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Cutting braided line

Post by bmckenney » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:03 pm

This must have been asked many times before, but there doesn't seem to be a thread searching tool so I'm posting this question.

I've tried various tools and none of them work worth a darn. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Bryan

Basshunter0135
Angler
Angler

Re: Cutting braided line

Post by Basshunter0135 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:23 pm

These are what I use. They work fine for cutting 30/8 braided line. http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/ ... 334a.shtml

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:29 pm

bmckenney wrote:but there doesn't seem to be a thread searching tool
Top of the forum in light blue lettering:

FAQ : Search : Memberlist : etc...
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Thanks...

Post by bmckenney » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Found the search page, and some posts on the subject as well.

Bryan

bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bmckenney » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:16 pm

The scissors seem like a nice affordable tool. I would like some way of keeping the blades locked though because they will be hanging off my wading belt and I'd like a way to prevent them from opening up and cutting a hole in my waders. Any suggestions besides duct tape (just kidding, I think)?

Bryan

kripsak
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by kripsak » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:25 am

I've got some fiskar scissors, and its for gardening, very sharp pair of scissors. I also use a lighter to burn the cut ends, since braid will always fray when its cut.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:24 am

If you can't find the Rapala, look for a similar Gerber scissors. Most of the so-called braid scissors found in BPS and Academy don't work. Go with quality.

TB

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:30 am

Some of the Fiskar scissors (for school children) are cheaper and come with round tips.
Also the smallest swiss army knife has baby scissors that works very well as long as you freshen up the cutting edge now and then. Very small, the blade and toothpick(!) come in handy too ;)

bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bmckenney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:00 am

All of the stores around here are out of the Rapala super line scissors. I'll see if I can find some Gerbers. One guy said the Rapala are serrated and I could just look for some small serrated scissors at a sewing supply store or WalMart or whatever. The quest continues, and I need something by Weds.

With all of the people using braided line, you'd think there would be more tools out there.

Bryan

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:23 am

bmckenney wrote:...With all of the people using braided line, you'd think there would be more tools out there.
you dont need fancy scissors... braid just needs to be pulled taut when you snip it.

loose braid is very tough to cut, but take the slack out beforehand and its very vulnerable to sharp edges (i.e. rocks, shellfish beds). in a pinch i've used a not-too-sharp pocketknife blade, a fillet knife, and razor blade... ;)

fitterdavis1942
Angler
Angler

Post by fitterdavis1942 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:24 am

kenny: if you get those rapala scissors or any with rounded tips simply wrap a rubber band high on the blades, still allows you to uses them and they always stay closed. works for me.

bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bmckenney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:39 pm

fitterdavis1942 wrote:kenny: if you get those rapala scissors or any with rounded tips simply wrap a rubber band high on the blades, still allows you to uses them and they always stay closed. works for me.
Thanks for that trick! Great solution.

Bryan

dhuie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dhuie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:39 pm

Here's what works for me. At home I use the Fiskars, while fishing I use Owner's Braid Scissors - small, with a neoprene sheath, a securing ring, real comfortable for the shirt pocket.
"What!!??...How Much!!??...But I Only Want One!!!"

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:42 pm

I use a Power Zap 2, 2400deg heat cutting tool. Go to: panfishpro.com click on power zap, GREAT TOOL for cutting braid. U will never go back to scissors!!!!!!!

bmckenney
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bmckenney » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:34 pm

For those of us who still haven't got with it and have a heat cutting tool and are still using scissors and find they have to pull the braided line before cutting, there is a scissor that will cut the line when it's limp. Thank god. I hated having to do that. At Walmart in Canada in the drug/pharmacy/etc area in the aisle with hair brushes and combs I found some hair cutting scissors that work like a charm. There were two types, one serrated and one not. The non-serrated scissors, at $13, are awesome scissors and will cut the braid like butter, first time and every time, without having to hold it. It cuts it as if it were mono.

I now have my rod, my reel, my line and my scissors and I'm set for my coho trip up in Kitimat. Thanks for all the help boys!

Bryan