Daiwa samurai braided line – short review

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:50 am

Being both, Daiwa and braid fan, I had to buy this line to try it out. Bought 18lb and was intrigued if line would overtest, like most of North American lines, or break just at 18lb, like IGFA standards.

To start on a positive note, I have never handled braided line so silky smooth. With its 8 strand braiding, it is incredibly soft and smooth. Silent too – almost like mono. The knots were easy to tie, and there was no sign of weakness or any indication of possible knot slippage (Double Palomar, Blood, Double Uni). The 18lb strength line diameter is advertised as 0.22mm which should be comparable to 20lb strength of SufixPB and 023mm diameter. According to the charts, the diameter difference should be 1/100 of one mm. The Daiwa diameter actually looks and feels 30% thinner than SPB. (we really need some standardized way for measuring braided diameters – maybe photomeasurements under 5,10 and 20lb strain)

Went fishing a couple of times, and the line casts great. It seems that I was gaining a couple of meters when casting DSB. Have not had (fortunately:) any decent fish, except 1-2lb dinks, so I can not comment fighting abilities or abrasion.

On the negative side:
- when I got airknot (2 or 3 times) it was impossible to untangle the line. I had to cut it every time. The soft nature of line creates incredible mess that is virtually impossible to take apart. (With other lines, specifically SPB, the air knots were rare and I am 80-90% of the time successful in untangling the knot)
- since I did not get lucky with decent fish and did not snag on the water, I decided to test it at home with my 5lb dumbbell weights. I should mention that I was using Double Palomar knot and I was attempting to lift the weight with super slow motion to avoid any shocks. Line never broke at the knot – always 5-6 inches above the knot.
18lb DSB test
20lb – line breaks in no time
15lb – ditto
10lb – line breaks before I can clear the floor
5lb – I can clear the floor, but when I just slightly (less than ½”) shook my hand line broke easily (small single shake)

As you can tell, I was more than disappointed with the breaking strength – can’t believe I was casting spoons for salmon the other day. If I got decent King on the hook the line would snap in no time.

This line is off the spool for remainder of the season (steelheads & kings) and I might use it next year for small bass on small ponds, maybe. I have another spool (30lb) on the way, but now I am hesitant to even put it on a spool.

Just my 2c, and if anybody else did any test on other diameters – please keep us posted.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa samurai braided line – short review

Post by phatbass » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:32 am

I have been using the 4/20 on my spinning reel with no problems at all,casts great,no wind knots,quiet.this is is the best braid I have ever used.jeff

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:18 am

phatbass wrote:I have been using the 4/20 on my spinning reel with no problems at all,casts great,no wind knots,quiet.this is is the best braid I have ever used.jeff
I love the feel of the line, but breaking was huge disappointment – it has strength of the 4-5lb mono.
Would you mind testing your 20lb line for the breaking strength? I am still hoping that I just got lemon spool…

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:57 am

I will test it out and let you know.jeff

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:52 am

I had to tie a shoe lace around the dumbell and then tie the line to the shoe lace ,using a trilene knot it broke at the knot lifting 1 side of the weight off the floor.but I still feel this line will perform on the water for what I will be using it for.so far its only on my spinning reel,I like flourocarbon on my casting reels.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:04 am

Phatbass

Thanks. What was the weight of your dumbbell?

Anybody else who is using DSB, please chime in. if you can spare a couple of minutes for breaking test, it would be greatly appreciated.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:36 pm

the dumbell I used was 10LB. JEFF

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:34 pm

neither ways tested gives a good idea as to the braking strenght of the line, what you should do is try it on a machine that is designed to test the breaking strength of braided lines.

this will give you a better result.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:37 pm

yeah lifting drumbells is no way to test line breakage. i been using the 20/4 for a month and i havnt had a single break and there are alot of big pikes here in minnesota where i laned a few 4'+ ones. I had a few line tangles such as accidentally hitting my brothers rod while i was casting and had a birds nest, but i could still untangle it. There was no tangle i could not untie so i dont know why you had to cut your line on every time.

the line just feels so smooth, soft and quiet so i will be using it for a while.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:25 pm

The dumbbell test isn't completely invalid. Sure, it isn't the same methodology used by the companies, but it isn't too terribly different. If he is going very slowly, he is not imparting too much kinetic force. Furthermore, line usage in the field rarely involves the static force generated by the testing machines, especially with a hard-fighting fish, although the rod does absorb much of that shock. Not to say that the results should be considered typical, as there was only one sample. That is the main problem with the methodology that I see, although I really wouldn't expect him to gather the number of spools needed to constitute a significant sample size.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 pm

And I did not mention, the samples of 20lb SPB and 20lb PP DID lift the 4 dumbbells, that totals 20lb.
Do not take me wrong, I actually want the Daiwa SB to come on top just because of incredible softness and smoothness, but I learned from my day work to trust the numbers…

I used to be ultra light fisherman (2-4lb lines) and I know I can land big fish with thin line, because I did it many times. There is no confidence issues with me. I am just trying to figure out if this “18lb” line is equal 4lb mono or 20 lb or 30lb or 18lb what says on the label….

bladeduffer
Angler
Angler

Post by bladeduffer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:10 pm

shtuka,

I'd suggest sending Daiwa, North America a letter detailing your experience so far. I've purchased 30 and 55 for my saltwater rigs that I'll use with a FC topshot and am interested to see how others fare with it.

bd

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:25 pm

Well I was going to post my acct of this line in a few weeks but I actually liked it. I liked it just as much if not more then my Sufix PBraid. I dont understand why so many are getting premature braid breakoffs. I have, can, and do put some extremely heavy loads on my braid when I use it and it has never failed me in the impact department, through out the fight, or at the knot, ever. When fishing braid you should always be aware of its non existant abrasion resistant properties and retie accordingly. So many line mistakes can be avoided if anglers just check their line real quick with their eyes and run their finger tips down it to the knot.

The only downside is this line is never going to make it main stream or stay around. Daiwa has a proven track record of not keeping lines around very long. Some were never worth it but some have been imo and this braids one of them. I do feel the price is a tad bit off for sure but, if you add to the fact it wont be into existance long I guess the price may warrant itself for some.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:51 pm

bladeduffer wrote:shtuka,
I'd suggest sending Daiwa, North America a letter detailing your experience so far. I've purchased 30 and 55 for my saltwater rigs that I'll use with a FC topshot and am interested to see how others fare with it.
bd
That is actually what I am planning to do. I am just waiting to receive 30lb line and maybe test it for breaking points as well.

Blade, have you maybe tested your DSB lines? If you did, can you share results with us?

bladeduffer
Angler
Angler

Post by bladeduffer » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:43 pm

>>> Blade, have you maybe tested your DSB lines? If you did, can you share results with us? <<<

I tried to last week but beyond what others have mentioned about it being limp, slick, and smooth through the guides, there is nothing else I can add. I put 300 yd of the 55lbs on one of my Saltiga 30L but I've got over 100 yd of fluoro topshot. When I took this rig out for yellowtail I got one that pulled line but not enough to touch the braid.

bd