Gulp panfish: passed second test

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Gulp panfish: passed second test

Post by Questor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:54 am

A couple of weeks ago I posted a message about how I tried the Gulp panfish chartreuse maggots and couldn't catch any bluegills with them. The goal was to find a compact artificial bait I could carry in my tacklebox for use in cases when I didn't have live bait.

When I bought the maggots I also bought some of the natural color earthworm Gulp panfish bait.

This works very well if the scent is fresh. I tried it and started catching fish immediately at almost the same rate I would catch them with night crawler parts. So far, I still consider live bait better, but also believe it is worth keeping some of the Gulp baits for convenience.

My rig was a plain hook below a slip bobber and splitshot. The fish definitely hold the bait and carry it away, rather than spitting it out immediately.

I think I'll give the Gulp night crawlers a try.