Circle hooks and Kahle hooks for panfish: Not too good.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Circle hooks and Kahle hooks for panfish: Not too good.

Post by Questor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:08 am

I tried Gamakatsu #8 and #6 octopus circle hooks and Laser Sharp #12 Kahle hooks for use on bluegills. My experience is consistent with the fisheries research that has been done on these when used with bluegills when fishing with nightcrawler parts:

1) The goal was to reduce deep hooking. The result was that deep hooking increased when compared to a #4 light wire Aberdeen hook. In the case of the circle hooks, I think this is attributable to the need to wait longer before starting to reel in the circle hooks. The fish have more opportunity to swallow the hook. I don't know what it's getting hooked on down there, but about half the fish hooked with circle hooks were hooked deep.

All of the fish hooked on the Kahle hooks were hooked deep.

2) Many of the fish hooked with the larger circle hook were hooked through the eye, allowing the release of a blinded fish.

3) The hooking percentage with the smaller #8 circle hook was very low. Hooking percentage with the larger #6 circle hook was much better. Hooking percentage with the Kahle was excellent, and comparable to the results with the #4 Aberdeens.

Conclusion: Keep using the Aberdeens. Or use a jig to reduce deep hooking. If I strike immediately I can usually hook the fish before it takes the hook deep into its gullet.

Zest
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Circle hooks and Kahle hooks for panfish: Not too good.

Post by Zest » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am

great info,i always have an impression a circle hooks have higher hook rate. my best bottom fishing hooks are regular octopus hook though.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:29 pm

I've found great use for circle hooks in the salt.

For freshwater, if i'm not keeping the fish, ALL my barbs get crimped. That allows easier removal just in case a fish is deeply hooked.

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Two important factors were not identified in the study I think you refer to, Questor: 1 - Did the circle hooks used have any kind of offset? People don't always pay attention to this, but a kirbed circle hook is not much better than any old hook at preventing deep hooking. 2 - Without specific instructions NOT to set the hook, an angler will automatically set it, thereby preventing proper hooking. If memory serves (big "if" :oops:), the study used experienced anglers as participants, didn't it?
Considering these aspects, the jury's still out for circle hooks as far as I'm concerned.
P.S. My granddaughters demonstrate to me how well circle hooks work every other weekend; of course, it may be something in their genes :laugh1:

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:47 pm

FishingElbow:

These were Gamakatsu hooks without an offset. My hook sets used the circle hook technique of starting to set the hook. No snap for a hook set. Night crawler part was hooked once in such a way as to not bunch up on the hook.

What kind of a rig do you use?