Best Baitcaster around 60 dollars

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
John/IN
Angler
Angler

Best Baitcaster around 60 dollars

Post by John/IN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:43 pm

I have played with a lot of baitcasters in the past few years. Recently, I am looking for a baitcaster reel that will enable me to use it with SB. I want something reliable and smooth. I know 60 dollars isn't much for a baitcaster reel. But I know a lot of reels on sale now are at that price range. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Baitcaster around 60 dollars

Post by Charlie Tuna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:22 am

I think Cabelas has the Daiwa Advantage on sale for 69

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:39 am

A shimano cruxis can be had on ebay for around 30-40 bucks... very nice reel, check out the reviews in this forum!

Ryan
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Questor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Questor » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:02 am

Look at the Ambassadeurs, particularly the narrow spoon C4 with thumb bar. If you're on a budget, get one of those and it will last for many years. The cheapo reels from other manufacturers will last perhaps three years if you're lucky.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:18 am

You looking for a lefty or righty? :lol: Cruxis is a great reel for the money along with if you can find one a citica 100 for that price.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:47 am

Thanks for answering my question. You guys are great!
I am looking for a right handed reel. I had a Cruxis before and returned it because it is too big. I have been looking at the Advantage reel. It is sold out now. But Cabela's has a Prodigy reel that is similar to Advantage. I am not sure of its quality. Cabela's also has Revo SC on sale. But it is too small. I really like Citica 100 model. The only problem is that it has a small diamter spool, which I don't like. Am I too picky?

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:02 am

The Prodigy is an Advantage. It is made by Daiwa, it is written on the side of the reel "Engineered by Daiwa".

I had one, they are solid reels. I am not familiar with the other reels you all are talking about, but you just can't go wrong with a Daiwa or Shimano.

CT

Charlie Tuna
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Charlie Tuna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:06 am

Questor wrote: The cheapo reels from other manufacturers will last perhaps three years if you're lucky.
I agree with this statement 100%. BPS & the non-Daiwa Cabelas reels are great out of the box, but fish with them for a year or two, they fall apart(in my experience).

CT

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:33 am

If being small in hand is not an issue, will Revo SC from Cabela's a good reel instead of Prodigy? I have had quite a few BPS reels in the past. None of them lasted more then half a year. Maybe the ones I had were under 100 dollars was the reason. I love the new Centrifugal/Megnitic brake system. I can use the reel with centrifigal brake very well. But still, the new system works perfect. BPS has reels with that system. Pfluger has a Supreme reel that comes with that system. But it is way too expensive for the reel. You guys give very good advice. I really appreciate it.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:56 am

How about the new Daiwa Megaforce?

Are those in stores yet?

I have a buddy that has a few of 'em already, and they look and feel pretty sweet for such a low price tag.

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:25 am

I had a Diawa Magforce before. It was too small and with a lot of plastics.

Cotay
Angler
Angler

Post by Cotay » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:19 pm

John/IN wrote:Thanks for answering my question. You guys are great!
I am looking for a right handed reel. I had a Cruxis before and returned it because it is too big. I have been looking at the Advantage reel. It is sold out now. But Cabela's has a Prodigy reel that is similar to Advantage. I am not sure of its quality. Cabela's also has Revo SC on sale. But it is too small. I really like Citica 100 model. The only problem is that it has a small diamter spool, which I don't like. Am I too picky?
I have both the Citica 100 and the Revo SC and the size difference is minimal to me. Either one are a good choice however. Have you looked at the Daiwa Procaster SE at Cabelas?

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:53 pm

John/IN wrote:I had a Diawa Magforce before. It was too small and with a lot of plastics.
There's a new 2008 model called Megaforce that's coming out. The Advantage should be the best bang for the buck though, IMO. I have the standard and supertuned models myself. Too bad they were all snatched up when they went on sale. But, there's hope. There's another new model, possibly even better than the Megaforce, it's the Exceler. It's not a proven reel yet but the spinning model is popular so this one is perhaps going to be good, too. And it should be around your budget of 60 bucks.

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:13 pm

I have had a Diawa Procaster before but did not like it that much. I can't wait for the new Diawa reels to come out. By the way, I was told the Abu Revo has a great drag, 20 lb. pressure. Has anyone used one for a large fish? Thanks for your advice again.

By the way, there are so many hits on this question. It looks like a lot of people are interested in buying a great reel for about 60 dollars.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:09 pm

knowing this board, it may also be that there are a lot of people interested in YOU getting the best reel for $60.00. :big grin:

welcome to the boards.