Does sinking line make a difference?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Does sinking line make a difference?

Post by T Mike » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:16 pm

Working a Topwater with fluorocarbon IS NOT an instance subwalker IF you don't give the fluorocarbon time to sink. Ie start your cadence immediately. Been doing it for years. A pool is one thing viewing it from above the water. Try looking at your line on a tank. Your lures will get deeper with the fluorocarbon. There is an arch in your line but you can't see it from above the water.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Does sinking line make a difference?

Post by dustlane » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 pm

T Mike wrote:Working a Topwater with fluorocarbon IS NOT an instance subwalker IF you don't give the fluorocarbon time to sink. Ie start your cadence immediately. Been doing it for years. A pool is one thing viewing it from above the water. Try looking at your line on a tank. Your lures will get deeper with the fluorocarbon. There is an arch in your line but you can't see it from above the water.

Mike
Wouldn't the line from the lure to the rod tip be straight in both instances when the weight of the lure is pulling it? If not, does the fluorocarbon sink fast enough to make that much of a difference? I have used fluoro in the past, but I really never had the confidence in it that everyone else does. I guess Berkley Vanish makes me gun shy. I most recently used Seaguar Carbon Pro and it was okay but I couldn't see enough benefit to justify the expense. It was really stretchy and somewhat stiff in 15lb. If I could find a fluoro that stretches substantially less than mono, I would definitely be interested. But braid doesn't stretch enough. Man, who would ever have thought that finding a good fishing line would be so complicated. I have to say that even thought it may not be the best line, Berkley Big Game has done the job well for a really long time. I am just always open to something better.