What is your favorite??????

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is your favorite??????

Post by tonym » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Right now it's a TD-S 103HL mounted to a G-Blanks 7' MH(Batson ISB843) spiral wrapped Ti guides. Sweet reel, but soon to be upgraded to a TD-Z 105HL. 8-)

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:39 pm

up till now:

2 Shimano 1000mg's (souped up!) / Kistler Helium LTA He70MHC's

Also my newest combo: Daiwa Pixy (red) / Custom made 7'0 Shikari SHX bulit on a spinning blank. (total weight under 9 ozs.!)

BUT! Always looking for better! 8-)

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 pm

I did have a separate rod/reel combo for both both flippin and pitchi, but lately I go mostly to my Crucial CRCX72H and the Quantum Tour Edition PT burner.
A bit heavy, but I just enjoy using it for this vs the others.
DaleO

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Either an Ito on my MB Bearing Down or an Antares AR on my Kistler 7/6, Heavy LTA Helium with 12 or 15# test fluro.

Dan

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:07 pm

I love my TDZ 103H on an LE 7'0" MF...if I had an extra Steez 100H to commit to this technique, I think that would be even better.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:14 am

For light pitching around docks, seawalls, etc., I love my custom 2-pc St. Croix LE 5C68MXF (Otterods) paired with a TD Sol. I pitch weightless Dingers and Senkos. (If it's windy, I use 1/8 to 1/4 bullet weights to keep the lure in the bottom.)

Planning to put together a setup for heavier pitching/flipping using a TD-Z105HL and a still unknown rod. Also have a MBR783-2C (GLX)/TD Zillion (SLHA) but I haven't been using it much for anything and I think I'm gonna dedicate to spinnerbait duty now.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:28 am

mhood wrote:Pixilla with #20 PPro on a Megabass F7-711X.
hate to drag you back into this, but pitching is my passion, and I have been following this thread keenly to upgrade my game. I am about 5'8", and was wondering how such a long rod can be wielded from a boat easily, not to mention weight of rod. I would be slapping something on my boat every time. That seems much more like a flipping stick.

Also, Cal, would love to know yours, if you can.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:22 pm

You know, I've always been more of a short rod guy...6' - 6'6"...and still favor a short rod but the 7-11 is a very unique stick. It has enough of a quick tip to be a fine 1-1.5 oz. caster...is a gr8 frog rod. I'm not the best at pitchin' by a mile and I really don't fish with the 7-11 as much as I do my lighter rigs but the OP asked about "flippin and pitching" reels and rods.

My boat has high sides (Tracker DeepV17) and I'm 6'2" tall. I have no problem being a mediocre pitcher with the combo. It's light and balanced and really doesn't fish like an 8' rod at all. Of course the Pixilla is a monster pitchin' reel...hands down my favorite...especially since I discovered the Daiwa auto clutch trick.

Honestly though, I pitch much more with my Daiko Burroughs BRSC-68M/Conquest 50/Yozuri Soft 10# combo and my best performing pitchin' combo (no flippin' at all with this rig) is my stock Pixy with 2/10# PowerPro on a GLoomis CR721 IMX 6' stick....I can pitch a whisper 50' with this rig, so IMHO you do have something there with the short stick for pitchin'. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

olds350ho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by olds350ho » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:06 pm

My favorite is my Zillion 7.1:1 on my 7'6 Team Daiwa Cielo.... But hopefully soon I wll get the new Steez flippin stick :D

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks Mhood, that 721 must be nice, I see it come up alot around here. I had a good conversation with Matt at Otterods and he is making me a St. Croix Legend Tournament 6'3" MXF with a 2 power spin blank for a Pixy/ light rig combo. We talked and came to the conclusion a shorter rod is probably better for me. I am hoping to pitch a slight cough 50' nicely. I would like to try that Daiko, it got such a good review, and I'm itching to try a couple JDM rods for heavier rigs. If they are that much better than the Croix's, I might buy my monkey some premium monkey chow. :D
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau