Casting Distance (reels, methods, and conditions)

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
John/IN
Angler
Angler

Casting Distance (reels, methods, and conditions)

Post by John/IN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 am

I would like to ask everyone here the intricate question of how to cast for a long distance. I know the answer to this question involves many things, especially the reels we use, the ways to cast, and the win condition. For the past few years, I have been experimenting with all kinds of reels and methods in different conditions with one object to see how it works. I have accumulated a lot of experience. Up to now, I still maintain a strong interest in this topic. I hope to get you guys to discuss this so that I can learn from you.

Thank you all in advance!

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Casting Distance (reels, methods, and conditions)

Post by zenbassr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:15 am

John/IN wrote:... For the past few years, I have been experimenting with all kinds of reels and methods in different conditions with one object to see how it works. I have accumulated a lot of experience.
how's about you get things started w/ sharing your experiences over the past few years? i'd be interested in reading about your observations & results from your experimentation... :thinking:

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:17 pm

Also. Why are you trying to get distance over accuracy? Fishing from shore? Competition?
What species are you after?
I know there's a lot of "emptying the spool" type talk, but I'll take an accurate cast over a distance cast anytime. ;)
Now if your into competition casting... That's a whole different animal. 8-)

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:08 pm

I do practicing casting for accuracy. Because I don't fish from a boat, distance is important to me. I practice for long distance casting with accuracy. I believe one needs to practice both. I know people with boat don't have to worry much about the distance. It is easy to get close to a spot. Actually, fishing from a boat and without a boat is very different. Almost all the discussions about fishing out there is for those who fish from a boat. I nornally fish in neighborhood lakes or ponds, and catch a lot of fish every year. I am after bass, crappie, and occasionally sun fish (with fly rod). I used to be a fly fisherman but got interested in every kind of fishing method after that. I do have my views on almost everything related to fishing but would prefer to hear from you guys because most of you have more experiences than I do.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:28 pm

John/IN wrote: I know the answer to this question involves many things,

Thank you all in advance!
MUCH MORE THAN CAN JUST BE DIGUISED IN A POST. 8-)

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:53 pm

This subject was discussed as to braking systems a few weeks ago:
T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=21387&highlight=
and as you can see from the posts, fishermen can't even agree on which braking system produces the best results.

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:44 pm

[quote="Reel Old Geezer"]This subject was discussed as to braking systems a few weeks ago. [/quote]

That is exactly what I found out about this subject. I hope to stir up some conversations here.

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:25 pm

John, I'm curious what your findings are or are you keeping your findings a secret? :)

I'm wondering what lure weight you cast and whether you think spin or casting reels cast further?

I think spin cast further in 1/8 and lighter but don't know for sure as I don't use casting reels. Load line to the spool, use thinnest line possible, use as 'long stroke' spool as possible.

UL

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Ultralight,

You are very good with knowing people. I did find a lot of things about casting. I practiced with spin cast reel too. It is good for 6 lb. line. It will take a long time to lay out what I found out about casting for distance. Many people here have pointed out that this is a really big topic. Maybe I shall leave it to the experts to voice their opinions.

Silv3Rz
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Silv3Rz » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:20 am

hehe you forgot to mention line :)

Fishingelbow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishingelbow » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:45 pm

John, being shore bound too, I've done lots of experimenting with casting for distance over the years. The reel you use comes in a poor second to the rod in terms of its impact on distance. A long, moderate action rod will cast great distances even with a so-so reel. Casting from shore often makes it possible to use something similar to the exaggerated two-handed casting motion that distance casters use; of course, you can't even think of doing it from a boat ! :roll:

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:27 pm

You might check out Shimanos website and the research they did when redesigning their spinning reels. If you are talking casting reels, I find the greater the line compacity, the farther I can cast when all else is equal. I can outcast most of my freinds with a large spool spinning reel (Daiwa 1600 SS) with 10# fireline/ 10# leader and a 7' medium rod. It definately helps to have a rod with a slightly more moderate action than a super fast action. The rod will load so much more. I also have been able to pull in everything from 10# pike to 5 lb. bass on the outfit from moderate cover.

With all of that distance casting, I see why you call yourself fishermanelbow. :lol:

ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ultralight » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:50 pm

That's my question. I've always thought that more moderate actions will cast further. However, do not competitive distance casters casting hundreds of yards use fast action rods rather than moderate?

It seems if one flicks the cast very very fast, a fast action rod's tip will be travelling just as fast as a moderate rode - maybe faster?

UL

Shortlite
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Shortlite » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Yes, but the energy stored will not be the same. The faster action rods used competitively recover faster, and transfer the energy quickly and effectively to the weight.

The faster whipping action of the cast causes more moderate actioned rods to oscillate excessively after release. I'm sure you'll also have noticed that a slower more deliberate stroke suits moderate actions better.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:30 am

ultralight wrote: I've always thought that more moderate actions will cast further. However, do not competitive distance casters casting hundreds of yards use fast action rods rather than moderate?

It seems if one flicks the cast very very fast, a fast action rod's tip will be travelling just as fast as a moderate rode - maybe faster?

Most competitive casters are using really long rods. They are fast action rods due to the definition of rod flex being in the first 1/3 of the length. Even the first 1/3 of those rods is longer than most moderate action rods anglers use.

I suspect that with those overall lengths, a moderate action rod would over flex while casting. You might even have a full wave length of flex in a rod while casting.

I think there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to rod length/action for distance casting.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods