Line diameter on baitcasters

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Line diameter on baitcasters

Post by jholton » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:32 am

I tried using the search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.
I know line diameter has an effect on spinning distances, but does it have as much of an effect on baitcasters?? Not counting limpness.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line diameter on baitcasters

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:20 am

It does have somewhat of an effect, but I don't see it as much as a spinning outfit. The only problem I find with smaller diameter line on baitcasters is that the line will dig up on itself and backlash. When you get a backlash with 10lb test on a baitcaster, it's one hell of a headache to pick out.

meumpactumdictum
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meumpactumdictum » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:07 am

You bet line diameter has an effect on BC and conventional reels. I wouldn't worry about smaller line digging into itself or causing too much problems with backlashes. If you are truly worried, I guess you can try some of KVD Magic spray stuff. J/K.

I believe line dia are more affected in BC reels than spinning reels. Try to throw a light weight lure on a 8# line and the same lure on a 15# line and you'll definitely see a difference. Action and feel of the lure is also affected when using heavier stuff.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:25 am

A small diameter line would cut easier through the air than a thicker one so I would say it can add to your casting distance. On the other hand, the more 'small diameter' line you will put on your spool, the heavier it will be and this can degrade casting distance especially with light lures.

I'm using 6/20lb Power Pro on my TD Sol right now. When I'm ready to replace it, I'm going to try 4/15lb Tuf Line. I find it easier to untangle even a somewhat serious backlash with braid than with mono.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:33 am

On the other hand, the more 'small diameter' line you will put on your spool, the heavier it will be and this can degrade casting distance especially with light lures.
I'm not sure this is correct. The larger diameter line would weigh more than the smaller diameter line, so maybe it evens out.

There is a simple solution, however; just go out and buy a Conquest 50S and then you can only fit about 60 yards of 10/2 braid on it.

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 am

Right now I have 6/20 SPB on my Pixy. I was just curious about the line diameters.
On a side note. I spooled some #4 Gamma coply in the never ending search for something better. All of my casts went to the left of where I was aiming by quite a bit. Any clue what that's about? I put the 6/20 back on, and was right back on target. Weird?!

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:43 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:
On the other hand, the more 'small diameter' line you will put on your spool, the heavier it will be and this can degrade casting distance especially with light lures.
I'm not sure this is correct. The larger diameter line would weigh more than the smaller diameter line, so maybe it evens out...
I think you're right, ROG :D

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:19 am

The overall weight of the spool decrease faster during the cast with a heavy line Vs finesse line. So if the spool gets ligter and ligter I guess you can get more distance.
To answer the original question, IMHO within reasonnable line diameter it has a lot less importance than on a spinning reel!

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:39 am

Just an observation...nothing scientific, but several years ago with my brand new Calcutta DC100, I quickly learned that by dropping from 15# Yozuri line to 10# I increased casting distance with a 1/4oz. Trap.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:58 am

I have bad results with braid less that 20 lbs in bc, it just dig in too much.
I'm not convinced that line diameter affect casting distance that much, lure weight it is much more important factor ( as well as rod and reel ). You can cast a 4.5oz swimbait a long way in a 25 lbs line as long as you have the proper tackle.

promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by promax » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:47 am

Actaully it dont matter what line you use take mono for example 10 pound line vs 15 ya its heavier per inch but bigger line also has more voids (airspace) in it on a spool and add this with how much less line u can get on a spoool compared to smaller stuff i think its actaully lighter after the fact

Vladimir_Kazan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Vladimir_Kazan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:00 am

A spool holds less quantity of thick line and though each layer of a line is more weighty (a step of cross winding is the same), the number of layers is less.
I have tested the weights of identical mono lines (i.e. - of really round one) of different diameters, spooled up to a normal level. The difference no more than 0.2 grammes (in this or that party).

Meumpactumdictum,

Imo what you speak about is coupled first of all to friction of a line about air (to an air resistance). In much smaller degree it is coupled to friction of a line about a rings (the smaller rings, the more friction; the more rings, the more friction).
Though the line from a baitcasting reel leaves almost straightened, its frictional force about air is rather essential. The more diameter, the more friction. If the line is "shaggy", the friction essentially increases.
If you want to clear up this problem little bit deeper, can see this article: Spool and Distance of casting. Here you'll found and some arguments about more hard influence of line dia for spinning reels.
I bring apologies for very poor translation. By the way, if somebody will help with good translation, I shall be grateful.

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:29 pm

I've noticed a big difference in casting distance with different lines, specially with light lures. I like to throw a Norman Deep Tiny N crankbait, which is pretty small. One day I tied it on one of my Loomis CBR843/Chronarch MG50 combo's and I had 20lb Seaguar fluoro on it where I'd been using it to throw Balsa B 2's in heavy cover. I usually throw the DTN on 10-12lb Seaguar. With the 20 lb., I couldn't throw the DTN very far at all. I took it off, tied it on my other CBR843/MG50 with smaller Seaguar and it was back to business as usual.

Now on a heavier lure, I really don't think it would make much of a difference but I can tell a huge difference when throwing lighter baits. This is just a thought, but I'm guessing that on a larger lure most of the drag is coming from wind resistance on the lure itself and not the line, so any drag from the heavier line still isn't as much as what the lure itself is creating; on a smaller/lighter lure I think you see less drag created from the lure and more from the line, so it won't allow the lure to travel as far. Hope that makes since, thats just the observations I've noticed while fishing.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:01 pm

This afternoon I put a Conquest 50 with 30 pound PP on a rod and cast it quite a few times with a 1/4 oz casting weight. I then pulled all the line off and replaced it with 15 pound PP. Both lines were used and well broken in. I had to add backing to the 15 pound line to fill the spool, and used some old 15 pound PP for this backing. I put the reel back on the rod with the same casting plug. The reel was not adjusted in any manner between tests.

The first thing I noticed was that the spool ran much faster with the 15 pound line. Perhaps this is due to Vadimir's point that the spool stays heavier because the line is thinner and more stays on the spool. After lots of thumbing and one great backlash, I tightened down the cast control one click and got the spool under control. The reel cast easier with the 15 pound line and distance was increased a few yards. I have left the 15 pound line on the reel and intend to use it tomorrow on my soft jerkbait rod. That will be a true test.