New St Croix Avid

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
intuldt
Angler
Angler

New St Croix Avid

Post by intuldt » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:53 am

I guess I went about this a little backwards. I purchased a St Croix Avid spinning rod (AS59MXF) because the rod was deeply on sale and because I liked the feel of it. The problem is ... what is a little 5'9" spinning rod suited for? I got it thinking skipping baits under docks and other heavy cover. Anyone have any experience with one of these. Thanks.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: New St Croix Avid

Post by Mattman » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:01 am

Those shorter rods excel for really vertical work (jigging right under the boat), for highly accurate work, and for tight quarters work.

Dock skipping is an excellent use for that rod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:48 am

Mattman wrote:Those shorter rods excel for really vertical work (jigging right under the boat), for highly accurate work, and for tight quarters work.

Dock skipping is an excellent use for that rod.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods
I agree. 5'9" in a spinning rod is a great length for dock skipping and an excellent tactic for pressured fish.
I like to use mine for skipping weightless wacky worms and small jigs in tight quarters.

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:39 am

Go tie on some Fat Ikas riged backwards on your favorite 4 odd hook if you dont fish jigs much. You get the same effect, I promise.