poor man's Shimano Stradic FI Review.

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

poor man's Shimano Stradic FI Review.

Post by sony » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Reel: New 2008 Shimano Stradic 2500.
Rod: Medium Fenwick Techna AV
Line: 8# Bass Pro Shops Excel
bait: 1/8oz. Owner Ultra Bullet head with a 4" Yum Dinger
Trial: One day on the water finessin' Bass.

Yes, I know it was only one day, but damn I'm impressed. I would close the spool as many times as I could remember using the handle as opposed to my hand on the bail to give the line management a fair test. I had not one line mess with the spool filled to capacity. I attribute this to the bail design and S-Cam. I also tried some funky retrieves to try to get a mess with no luck. I should also give the Excel line some credit too. The reel casted my bait just as far as my Daiwa Exceler 3000 which is impressive considering the size of the spools.

Con: Price----The darn thing put me 160 bucks back, but thus far- it is well worth it.

Comparison:

Compared to my Daiwa Capricorn, I give the Stradic a tremendous advantage in line management. As far as price, and drag are concerned, I give it to the Capricorn.

Both the Capricorn and the Stradic are identical in smoothness......Yes, smooth as your bubba's cheeks.

durability: To soon to tell. (I must say my Capricorn has taken the abuse well.)

Because of the price, I can't give it my patented :roll: Best buy, but if you want great line management, this is your reel! For what its worth...

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: poor man's Shimano Stradic FI Review.

Post by brokeneye » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:09 pm

good review.

have often wondered why daiwa discontinued the capricorn...have never fished one but, the friends i have that have fished both, gave the capricorn the better nod.

instead of moving on, should daiwa have stood its ground over time with the better reel?

or did they simply miss their price points on a branded named reel?

have often wondered that.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Sweet sony.
I knew if it was anything like the years past Stradics it would be a winner. Plus it has the SR treatments. 8-)

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 pm

Nice intro review on the Stradic. I'm still waiting for Cabela's to stock it in their retail stores so I can play with it. I'm not ready to order off their website just yet.

It would be sweet to see the 08' Advantage vs. 08' Stradic go head-to-head in a shootout. They seem to be in the same price range.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

ksdog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ksdog » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:41 am

There are a couple of guys on another forum that had probs with the bail closing during the cast. Hope you continue to have good luck with that reel cause I am seriously considering getting one. In the meantime, the two daiwa excellers I have, merit the best buy award for $54.95.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:21 am

Rotor brakes will eventually make their way onto most mid-high level spinners I hope as it is a GREAT design feature.

SouthFLAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by SouthFLAngler » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:51 am

I have the stradic 2500fi and it is really sweet. I have to agree that the reel cast very far. I also have not had any line twist-ups. I also checked out the advantage in a local shop it was very nice reel.

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 am

So far so good with the new Stradic 3000FI. No windknot and I spooled it to the max with very thin Samurai braid 18lb test. The tapered spool lipped seems to feather the line lightly as it is being casted but with very little friction.

I checked out the new Sustain FE also. Not worth it IMHO. I thought it would use the same rigid support drag found in the Stella and Japanese Twinpower. They stuck a bearing under the spool for the price increase. Drag seems the same as the Stradic FI, loud and not as refined as the Twinpower.

spiderman8403
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderman8403 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:33 am

Got to love the new line management system. I cast to death for a full day and line twist/wind knots are no where to be found....on the 1000 size reel. Kudos to Shimano for releasing Stradic MG 1000....about freaking time lol