What would you fish from a Kayak?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What would you fish from a Kayak?

Post by ferrysj » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:50 pm

I recently paddled a great section of the Nolan River in a yak and casually fished along the way. Landed several rainbow trout on a Super Duper. :lol:

I know I will be doing this again and was wondering what an appropriate set-up would be. In yak forums, most people go with spinning. I would like to take a Pixy. Note to self . . . do not drop it in the water :shock:

Is rod length subjective to user? Shorter rods better for transport/accuracy? Eggless more durable than graphite? what would you take?

BTW, I was using a Shakesphere micro underspin. :-$

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What would you fish from a Kayak?

Post by deepsessions » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:24 pm

I've been in and out of a float tube the last 15 years or so. I like to use the longer rods for a better set 7' and higher. With a kayak I'd think a 6'6 med action rod would be best for versatility. You can throw everthing form soft plastics,cranks,topwater,and smaller blades on it. My rod of choice would be one that's light and doesn't sink too fast :lol: good luck!

sarcastic
Angler
Angler

Post by sarcastic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:29 am

Kayak rod choices are dependant on a few criteria.
1. Kayak length, will my rod allow me to play the fish if it decides to circle around the bow of my 'yak? On a very short 'yak 6'6" is ok. On a longer 'yak 7' to 7'6" would be better. You don't want to be cut off on your hull.
2. Will I need to stow my rods inside for a surf launch? Like we "Left Coasters" do.
3.Does the rod have the strength to cope with a fish going under the 'yak if I can't persuade the fish around the bow? Even small fish can slowly spin your 'yak.
4. Will "But I need a new kayak specific rod now" pass the WAF?

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:28 am

ferrysj wrote: I know I will be doing this again and was wondering what an appropriate set-up would be. In yak forums, most people go with spinning. I would like to take a Pixy. Note to self . . . do not drop it in the water :shock:

Is rod length subjective to user? Shorter rods better for transport/accuracy? Eggless more durable than graphite? what would you take?

I know plenty of yakers that take casting gear with them. That's all up to you.

I also know plenty of yakers that use graphite rods. The vast majority of them really.

Yakers tend to like a bit shorter rod than guys that fish from boats. 6'6" is typically a long rod.

The bigger thing is rods with short handles. While sitting and wearing a PFD, most factory rod handles are too long. I've done a number of custom rods for this reason alone. And I know a number of guys that cut the handles on their factory rods.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Otterods - High performance hand crafted fishing rods

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:02 am

Mattman wrote what I was going to say. Try to get shorter rod handles.
I would lean toward longer rods for distance since you're lower on the water than someone in a boat.

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:48 am

Thanks all for the quick responses.

The handle WAS a problem as I was sitting below the waterline a bit and it was a bit awkward to throw. At the time I did not realize what it was. Thanks for the heads up.

New yak; I am going for a sit-on-top version that is about 14' more suited for an angler. I tested a friend's and could actually stand up if need be. With my long arms, a 7' short handle should serve me well and allow me to get around the bow/stern during a fight.

Crank-B8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crank-B8 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:47 am

I fish out of the yak almost exclusively down here on the Texas Coast.

You've got some great advice so far. I take all casting gear with me. Same stuff I use in the boat really.

Where we have an advantage down here on the coast is that kayak fishing and wade fishing are so popular, a lot of the manufacturers build their rods with shorter handles for this market.

So, if you're looking for some rods with shorter handles you might take a look at some coastal models. I'm not sure how well some of the actions on these rods will translate to the fishing you're trying to do but it's worth a shot.

Shimano has some coastal offerings with shorter handles. I use their Calcutta and Crucial Drop Shot series in the kayak and don't have too many problems. Their Cantar series are built with extra short handles as well. American Rodsmiths also has a "kayak series" rod with a shortened handle.

I wrote an article at InshoreFan.com about kayak fishing for redfish and I talk about rod selection and some of the issues I consider. Maybe it'll help ya', maybe not.

Here it is:
http://inshorefan.com/news_article.asp?id=2162

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:52 am

I fish out of a LL Mantaray 12 and like at least 6'6" to be able to get across the bow if need be. I actually prefer the longer, say 9", grips because I run 2 flushmount holders on the back and feel they're more secure. I use a piece of PVC with some cuts to hold a small fly rod; ideally I like to carry a MH b-caster, a Med Spin rig, and a 3-weight. That covers me, I also swap out the fly rig for a 7' UL spinning rig too.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:02 am

spinning gear, and nothing longer than 6'6" rods. :o)

Choupique
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Choupique » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:18 am

I take all casting gear too:

One rod settup with a gig,
One with a topwater,
One with either a crank/suspending bait.

I have a short handle rod for my gig set-up, but if you end up catching a lot of fish it can really take a toll on you not to have a long handle to brace against your forearm. A lot of the time we are catching 30-60 speckled trout, and with the short rod I have to grip it harder than the long handle rod and as a result my rod trigger started to cut into between my fingers.

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:42 am

You should go to http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ What TackleTour is to fishing gear, they are to kayak fishing!

ferrysj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ferrysj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:53 am

jholton wrote:You should go to http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ What TackleTour is to fishing gear, they are to kayak fishing!
That's were it all got started for me. Tried it in someone else's kayak and now the Float Monkey is nagging me. I definitely have more opportunities to launch and fish with a Yak than I do my boat and I want more access than the shore provides. Decent water for my boat is at least a 1.5 hour tow. There's lots of 5 -10 acre ponds with no pressure close by and a few regulated HP lakes.

Crank-B8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crank-B8 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 am

jholton wrote:You should go to http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ What TackleTour is to fishing gear, they are to kayak fishing!
KFS is a cool site. Recently under new management as I understand it.

I help to run a kayak fishing site as well. http://www.CoastalKayakAngler.com

buckmaidt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by buckmaidt » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:06 pm

I fish from a kayak for smallmouth. I usually take 3 rods 2 casting and 1 spinning (but I am a tackle junkie) I like 6'6" length for my boat. All my rods are custom made by TT member drinva. I had the handles all made 6" from back of reel seat to end of handle so as not to be a problem from a seated position. My casting reels are my Pixy and my Alphas F. Sometimes I also take my Presso and its custom rod, but those are really my wade fishing gear. Here is one of my kayak rods:

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:22 pm

kayaks are great for trolling crankbaits, and fishing saltwater.
but so are float tubes.