spinnerbait reels any suggestions

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
tonyfish
Angler
Angler

spinnerbait reels any suggestions

Post by tonyfish » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:26 am

ive nailed it down to 4 but your opinion is welcome

abu garcia revo stx daiwa fuego shimano curado 200 dhsv tda 153 hsta

im a fresh water angler what would u choose
Last edited by tonyfish on Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: spinnerbait reels any suggestions

Post by Nitroman77 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:18 am

Daiwa Fuego is a great SB reel. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:03 am

out of those 4 choices, the Fuego.

I'd have to say a better one, if a little weight is no issue, would be a 2005-2006 model Metanium XT. GREAT reel for horizontal baits! 8-)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 am

What size SBs and what size/configuration of blades? Also, speed and depth presentation are to be considered as well.

I use four diff BCs for various SB situations as I feel each one (along with the rod) matches up best under certain criteria.

Overall flexible MG reel: TDZ-103P-it has enough line capacity, can be used for slow-rolling to fast presentations, excellent cranking power, very light, overall excellent reel for SBs. Weakness is the drag needs upgrade to be as smooth as it should be for this calibre reel. For more line capacity, stronger frame and drag but with penalty of heavier weight: Calais 200APV.

Lightweight MG reel with awesome casting/precision: Steez 103H-Excellent for all SBs presentations including slow-rolling. The only thing I don't like is that the Steez will strain more on SBs with blades in the 5.0size or bigger in Willow, let alone Indiana, Colorado, Tortoise shell or Oklahoma. A more advanced, lighter, better built, casting and stronger/smoother drag designed TD-Z.

Any SB from 1/4-1oz + for every presentation/blade combo aside from pure "burning": Calcutta 100DC. Only slight weakness is weight vs MG reels and also it is very finicky when casting into head-on winds and against strong cross winds.

Overall best balanced LP open water reel: Calais 100A/Antares AR. Only weakness I can find is that line capacity for say 15lb+ test line will be limited as will purely slow-rolling 1oz+ SBs in deep water. Otherwise, this is a do-it-all SB reel.

Other options: Metanium XT/Zillion (burner edtn for obvious reasons) for non-MG and if MG with power gearing, right now, the Met MG series/Cores series kinda has the market to itself.

If you don't care for the HEG/over-sized main gear as in Zillion/Newer Shimanos/Revos and are open to other round reels, then it can really get detailed.

Hope this helps to confuse you some more. ;)
Last edited by dragon1 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:23 am

If I had to choose between those 4 options, I'd go STX...but I agree with PumaJeff about the Metanium XT...it's an excellent reel for SBs and it costs about the same as the others mentioned. Throw a Calais 4-bearing handle on it and that is one smooth-operatin', smooth-crankin', powerful SB reel..

Justin

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:42 am

Of the ones you mention I will go with the Revo STX-HS if you fish righty, give you the the choice of burning the SB easier. The Fuego is also close by.
I use mostly the Zillion SHLA.

The Curado 200DHSV ? A 9.8 oz reel for $ 200....it is not my cup of tea, lets say that.

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:00 am

I use the revo-stx hs w/ a crucial mh 610 rod w/ xfast tip and really like it. This is a dedicated set up which Casts 1/2 oz spinnerbaits lures easilyand at great distances.

tonyfish
Angler
Angler

Post by tonyfish » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:03 am

dragon1 wrote:What size SBs and what size/configuration of blades? Also, speed and depth presentation are to be considered as well.

I use four diff BCs for various SB situations as I feel each one (along with the rod) matches up best under certain criteria.

Overall flexible MG reel: TDZ-103P-it has enough line capacity, can be used for slow-rolling to fast presentations, excellent cranking power, very light, overall excellent reel for SBs. Weakness is the drag needs upgrade to be as smooth as it should be for this calibre reel. For more line capacity, stronger frame and drag but with penalty of heavier weight: Calais 200APV.

Lightweight MG reel with awesome casting/precision: Steez 103H-Excellent for all SBs presentations including slow-rolling. The only thing I don't like is that the Steez will strain more on SBs with blades in the 5.0size or bigger in Willow, let alone Indiana, Colorado, Tortoise shell or Oklahoma. A more advanced, lighter, better built, casting and stronger/smoother drag designed TD-Z.

Any SB from 1/4-1oz + for every presentation/blade combo aside from pure "burning": Calcutta 100DC. Only slight weakness is weight vs MG reels and also it is very finicky when casting into head-on winds and against strong cross winds.

Overall best balanced LP open water reel: Calais 100A/Antares AR. Only weakness I can find is that line capacity for say 15lb+ test line will be limited as will purely slow-rolling 1oz+ SBs in deep water. Otherwise, this is a do-it-all SB reel.

Other options: Metanium XT/Zillion (burner edtn for obvious reasons) for non-MG and if MG with power gearing, right now, the Met MG series/Cores series kinda has the market to itself.

If you don't care for the HEG/over-sized main gear as in Zillion/Newer Shimanos/Revos and are open to other round reels, then it can really get detailed.

Hope this helps to confuse you some more. ;)
im looking for a low profile reel i i mainly throw 1/4 and 3/8 and when it's necessery 1/2 oz and thats my limit with a different styles of blades dragon i loved the detailed post and i am more confused now :shock:

FearNoFish1337
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FearNoFish1337 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 am

man u guys are all idiots u pay way to much attention to what kind of spinnerbait REEL to use, can yall even catch a bass on a spinnerbait?

I dont think it matters man as long as the reel has a lot of line cap. ull do alright.

I use my TD TDX and it works great and im using 14-17 pound line

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:32 am

Hmmm...I wouldn't just generalize in stating that we may all be idiots...last I checked I was the only one from my village.

Anyway, those that have fished with me will vouch that my SB fishing is purdy damned good, from 1-2 feet down to 30' deep.

Also, diff reels will handle diff SBs and techniques differently...one just has to have that experience first and the aility to fish the diff avail techniques before one can really appreciate it...capiche?

BTW, the TDX in all of its iterations is a very capable reel and excellent for durability (except for paint), however, it is not the best avail SB reel out there, IMO, it is a better pitching/jig/plastics reel.

Now, for 1/4-3/8 and sometimes 1/2, the Calais 100/Antares AR, Metanium XT, Met MG (2nd gen), TDZ in either gear ratios and Steez are my top reels. For lower budget range the Curado 100 series will be hard to beat. I have owned and used a few STXs but didn't like them (and I had one to use several months before they even came out!), although that is total preference.

BTW fearnoreason...learn to play nice...course I 'spose if you are a Wolverines fan you had to vent somewhere, eh?

Hope this helps.

FearNoFish1337
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FearNoFish1337 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:39 am

LOL ok kevin vandamn jesus u dont need 100 different rods for different spinnerbaits INLESS U ARE KVD which u arent cuz obviously hes making money fishing and you arent and i think hes the only one that needs 100 different rods/reels for spinnerbaits considering hes the best SB fisherman in the world

and im not a fan especially a michigan fan and im definatly not a lions fan there so horrible

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:48 am

No, KVD is not the best SB fisherman...

Firstly, not all SBs need 14-15lb test and he doesn't do anything with them that other fishermen before he already did...he just happens to combine almost all of their techniques. Those who base their SB fishing on KVDs techniques alone will miss out on some other variations...ie, esp those from California deep water impoundments (and Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee impoundments) and light lure/light line SB presentations, not to mention what needs to be altered on a SB in river conditions.

BTW, he only runs a few combos for his SBs, but there is a reason for that, he is using diff SBs for diff situations...which just reinforces my opinions. And yes, he is a very successful pro, but as I probably couldn't do what he does for a living (or want to), the same is very true that he probably can't do what I do or what thousands of others do...so that is a really insignificant point.

Otherwise, I think the Lions are going to be improved, but still mid-pack...they did smack the Raiders up side their heads purdy good...they just need some more consistancy on both sides of the ball, esp @ QB because they have some awesome offensive talent.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:50 am

FearNoFish1337 wrote:LOL ok kevin vandamn jesus u dont need 100 different rods for different spinnerbaits INLESS U ARE KVD which u arent cuz obviously hes making money fishing and you arent and i think hes the only one that needs 100 different rods/reels for spinnerbaits considering hes the best SB fisherman in the world

and im not a fan especially a michigan fan and im definatly not a lions fan there so horrible
FearNoFish - careful with the language and attitude.

If you are in disagreement with an opinion, feel free to state your position, but the name calling, insults, and improper spelling* will not be tolerated. Consider this a warning.

*said jokingly ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

FearNoFish1337
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FearNoFish1337 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:02 pm

if KVD isent the best SB fisherman then who is?

tonyfish
Angler
Angler

Post by tonyfish » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 pm

how are th anteres scorpion the the mg spool a friend of mind has 1 :)