Wave Tiki Stick vs. Yamamoto Senko

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".

What's a better bang for your buck?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Wave Worm's Tiki Stick
35%
Gary Yamamoto's Senko
65%

Total votes: 55

I_Fish_Wave
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Wave Tiki Stick vs. Yamamoto Senko

Post by I_Fish_Wave » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:15 pm

Let me start out by saying, I'm a big fan of both Wave and Yamamoto's stuff. But that said, for the money you can't beat the Tiki Stick.

Here are my reasons:

1) It has as good a fall/action as the Senko.
2) Everybody knows GY's Senko will fall apart if you sneeze on it, while the Tiki Stick will last through a bite or two.
3) The price isn't even close (I've seen Yama's stuff for up to $7 a bag!).
4) Wave has the best scent out there.

I know you guys are going to fire back, so let's hear it.
I_Fish_Wave

olds350ho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Wave Tiki Stick vs. Yamamoto Senko

Post by olds350ho » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:35 pm

I vote senko all the way! I have no real basis to say it is better or worse that the Wave Tiki Stick. But I just like the senko maybe its because I have confidence in the Senko.

Cpark
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cpark » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 pm

I've used and caught fish on both, but my absolute favorite is the Strike King 3X Zero. I've caught 20 to 30 fish on one of them before. I don't think I've ever used one to the point I had to throw it away and get another, I've always lost it first. I guess the only time I prefer the yamamoto is if I'm in deeper water. It has a faster fall and gets down a little quicker.

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Wave Tiki stix. To me your paying for the name. Ive tried both and have not seen any more fish caught with one or the other. Durability seems to favor the Wave tiki as well so for me its an easy choice.

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:45 pm

I_Fish_Wave wrote:
2) Everybody knows GY's Senko will fall apart if you sneeze on it
=)))) =)))) =))))

So true.

I fish with both and many other stickbaits with pretty much the same success and even though I am not a stickbaiter ( seldomly fish with them ) I do prefer Tikis more, man they do have some funky color combinations not available in GYCB, I really like swirly colors.

FillupD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FillupD » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Waves hold up better than Senko's so my vote is for the Tiki Stick. But, I like Trick Sticks better than both though. Better scent and better quality IMO.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:40 pm

GY Senkos do not have a recessed hook pocket in the shoulder (and the Tiki does not even HAVE a shoulder!). To rig weedless, the point of the hook must be embedded into the plastic body of the worm. In order to obtain reliable hooksets, Gary had to soften his plastic to the point that it falls apart after just one or two strikes.

The Trick Stick is made with a "hook pocket" recessed into the shoulder. A properly sized T'Rig or C'Rig hook does not protrude above the profile of the worm, allowing to be weedless by design, while at the same time allowing it to expose easily during a hookset with very little force. As such, the Trick Stick can be made with a firmer plastic that lasts two or three times longer than most others. Want it softer? Let your baggie lay on the deck in the sun for an hour!

That scent that FillupD refers to is cooked into the plastic as they are molded. There are five ingredients: salt, garlic, anise oil, and two others that will forever remain nameless! ;) Gadget

Disclaimer: I manufacture and sell the Trick Sticks, so naturally... I'm biased! 8-) G

ricky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ricky » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:01 pm

Hey mr gadget or anybody tell me something not to be afraid of anise oil, it just smells like a candy shop to me, its a confidence thing I think. Tell me California Bass like that smell. By the way Yamamoto cause its made by an oriental dude. :lol:

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:10 pm

ricky wrote:Hey mr gadget or anybody tell me something not to be afraid of anise oil, it just smells like a candy shop to me, its a confidence thing I think. Tell me California Bass like that smell.
I guess it depends on the formula... how much of each ingredient can dramatically affect the result. Smallmouth, for example, just love this stuff. They literally devour it! If you don't detect the strike soon enough, it's down their gullet!
ricky wrote:By the way Yamamoto cause its made by an oriental dude. :lol:
... from Texas! :P

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:31 pm

I voted for Tikis because I do prefer them over the GY Senkos. That being said, my favorites are the Wolf Tackle Trick Sticks that mrgadget sells. I have caught quite a few fish this summer of them. They have a good selection of color, good scent, and the recessed hook cavity makes Texas rigging a breeze. This winter I plan on stocking up bigtime! :D

secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by secretweapon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:03 pm

tiki sticks are my confidence bait, sweet potatoe pie has been good to me. It seems to work in any water clarity. Senkos have worked great, but as mentioned above a soft plastic that sells for $ 2.99 vs 5-7, and also outlasts the other by 3 fish or so makes it an easy decision for me. The tiki snakes also seem to work well for me in muddier water (bigger profile/ large tail)

jholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jholton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:30 am

I prefer the Bamboo stick. It's like a fat tiki stick or a fat senko.

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:59 am

I wouldn't mind the Senko falling apart too easily if only it's not so expensive. With taxes, it's more than 1 Canadian buck a piece. I noticed that the knock-off that his son is selling under a different brand is less expensive but also has less pieces in the bag so it costs basically the same as the Senko. I still use the Senko once in a while though because I like how soft they are but the Dinger is my current favorite. I think I'm gonna try the Tiki.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:25 am

Id go senko all the time. Maybe the 3X zeros, but the senkos have, I think the best wobble side to side action. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

ricky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ricky » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 am

So I've never tried this but this makes sense, from Western Bass.com Don Iovino video presentation at a sportsman show, basically you thread a peg it through the eye of the hook, wedge it in their and cut it down to form a small cross, then just pull the hook eye with the plastic peg it into the body of the senko and rig as usual, supposedly this increases the life of the senko cause the plastic locks in place in the senko making it more difficult to tear. He says Yamamoto hates that subject when he brings it up. Bonzai Mr. Yamamoto, bonzai. :lol: