Wave Tiki Stick vs. Yamamoto Senko

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".

What's a better bang for your buck?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Wave Worm's Tiki Stick
35%
Gary Yamamoto's Senko
65%

Total votes: 55

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Wave Tiki Stick vs. Yamamoto Senko

Post by even26 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:06 am

from a price point, the tiki stick are cheaper, but the bps stik-o are even cheaper. i think it's better to fish with something you have more confidence with than worry about the price. :D

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:47 pm

Out of the two choices, it would be Yamamoto - no reason.

I prefer Case Magic Stiks, Jacks Worm, SSS, & SSM.

They sink just as fast as Yamamoto baits, but are more durable and cheaper. When you order from Case, they give you several samples of there other soft plastic products.

I am not affiliated with them, just a satisfied customer.

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:25 pm

Senkos for me. Great colors and they put fish in the boat!

fishinfreak21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishinfreak21 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:41 pm

[quote="mrgadget"]GY Senkos do not have a recessed hook pocket in the shoulder (and the Tiki does not even HAVE a shoulder!). To rig weedless, the point of the hook must be embedded into the plastic body of the worm.

Are your hook up ratios still good when embedding the hook into the worm? Also what hook are you using(anyone can chime in on hooks)? I am going to try out some Zappu Inchi wacky heads tomorrow.

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:30 am

I recommend Gamakatsu Offset Shank Worm EWG 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 for 4" and 5" Trick Sticks. Gadget

JayInGrapevine
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JayInGrapevine » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:26 pm

It's all about the wiggle. I voted Senko. I was fortunate enough to work managing the big fish tanks at the BPS in Grapevine. I spent a lot of time watching demos and playing with baits on my own. The GYCB Senko has to be soft to allow it to wiggle so consistently. It may vary in frequency (speed of side to side movement) based on water temp, but in that magic 74-80 degree range it will get an almost parabolic wiggle that will keep it moving for a few moments once it's settled. I've seen fish zoom up to the bait, watch it settle and wiggle, then watch it and watch it and watch it - then the first time it moves forward they destroy it. Also the colors are different because in the GY and Kinami baits they vary the size of metal flakes. In the baby bass, they have a VERY fine gold/silver flake. In the Darker colors they have a larger flake. Everything is very thought out in every color.

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:54 pm

It has as good a fall/action as the Senko.
You can't be serious.
No comparison. The GYCB senko has much more action than the wave
Put a 4/0 owner riggin hook on a 5" senko and you will get great hookups

MaineFshr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MaineFshr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm

For me I think the answer is neither. I started out with the senkos, then threw tiki's for a little while, but one I tried Yum Dingers I was sold... But only for a while. I felt the Yum Dingers lasted the longer than both the Senkos and Tiki's, and the Yum sent preformed better. I still love Yum baits and and believe they might be the best, but for the best bang for your buck my vote goes to BPS tournament Stick-O's. These are by far the most durable, and for only 5$ for a 20 pack of 6 inchers are the best price. Also they are "infused with yum" scent. This makes them the most appealing to me.

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Mainfshr has it right. You can't beat the 4" Yum Dingers or the 6" Stick Os. They don't fall quite as fast, but you can weight them to get the same wiggle for a lot less bone.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:38 am

I have returned to bass fishing after being away for many years...so the use of senko-types of baits is new to me...

I am willing to try the Strike King and Wave Tiki that posters have advocated here...

But what techniques are best??

And what colors???

I have used a white senko in clear water...wacky worm rigged...had some hits but no fish...maybe my technique is wrong...probably I should jiggle the rod tip to give mire action to the lure...

I use spinning gear...ML power St. Croix with fast action...15 lb Power Pro braid...

I would appreciate advice from the experts...

Thanks much...

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:23 am

Not an expert but I do use senkos a lot as it is my confidence bait. IMO, Best way to use them is tex rigged+weightless. The fall of the bait is what makes it special so if you put weights on it, I don’t think it performs as well. If you observe the fall on a weightless senko, it wobbles as it sinks. Bass just can not not hit it.

Works best when you are casting into shallow areas, 6ft or less. For ponds, it is the perfect bait.

I like green, green and more green. As long as it has green in it, you’ll be ok. Green pumkin, watermelon with whatever flake color you like. I usually just go for black flake but have had success on Christmas tree and other brighter colors.

I'm gonna let my kids test drive the tiki sticks. If they catch em, I may try em.