lipless cranks

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

lipless cranks

Post by secretweapon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:14 pm

With the exception of smaller rattle traps for crappie, I've never had much luck with them for bass. Most of the areas I fish are shallow, fish from the bank scenarios and the bigger heavier lipless cranks I wanna use bog down and get fouled with vegatation. I vaguely remember reading in bassin' awile back that the cordell spot is lighter than many of it's counterparts, and I'm considering picking up one to try. Can anyone reccomend a larger profile rattlebait that won't sink like a stone? (floating rattle trap perhaps? never tried it) I'm constantly tinkering with lures and was thinking about removing the bb's from a 3/4oz trap.

Thanks,
Josh

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: lipless cranks

Post by dampeoples » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:30 pm

They make a floating rat-l-trap, as well as a suspending model.

secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by secretweapon » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:38 pm

yeah I was aware of the traps mentioned, but haven't used them. How's the action of the floating model compare to a conventional? What kind of profile does it have when it floats to the surface (if that makes sense)

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 pm

you might try the Lucky Craft LV-0 ... it's a sinking bait with a lip that actually makes it rise as you retrieve. It swims just under the surface almost like a wake bait.

You can find them at BaitDomain
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:08 pm

Ever considered a slim profile/tight wobbling shallow crank as an alternative?

matrix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by matrix » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:06 am

Another option are the TD Vibration lipless lures, which are quite light, and some models also suspend.

dampeoples
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dampeoples » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:01 am

secretweapon wrote:yeah I was aware of the traps mentioned, but haven't used them. How's the action of the floating model compare to a conventional? What kind of profile does it have when it floats to the surface (if that makes sense)
I honestly have not used them, have just seen them! I would assume that it would float slowly upwards/backwards with a light wobble.

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:52 pm

I dig shallow lipped cranks in that kind of gig (Lucky Craft Flat CB SR will give you kind of the same vibe as the "vibes," only it just runs 1' deep or so.)

BUT if you want to fish with a slow sinking vibe bait that still has a decent sized profile:

SHIMANO COMPLEX UNDULATOR - silent model

Big belly, big kick, slow sink:

My other pic, and one I have had uber-success with - the Air Viper Risebacker in the Sound-Less model. Probably sinks more slowly than any vibes I've used so far.

I have limited experience with floating vibes.....I've caught some fish on the floating Rattle Trap, and if you want to check on Ebay every now and then, Shimano made a big floating vibe (look up Shimano Scorpion and check the description to find out if it's the sinking or floating model) - - - I just generally prefer lipped cranks if I want something that floats.

I have the regular Shimano Scorpions and they're pretty darn good.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Floating Rattletraps are awesome! :D You only need to buy two colors - crawfish and crome. I fish these in shallow water or in and around weed beds. They only go down 1 - 3 ft. You can fish them slow or fast. They make better rattling sound than the standard sinking models. I still remember Gary Klien winning a Bassmasters tournament in the early 90's. That was the reason I bought them & I still use them today. If you buy any, I highly recomend replacing the treble hooks. The ones that come with them are junk.

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:20 am

hey secret,
don't give up on traps yet! i live in central va as well and now is a great time to be throwing them! considering all the rivers we have in our area, they are a staple bait.

consider throwing a 1/4 oz. on 15lbs mono for a slower fall, but i generally fish them fast over/around grass to cover water. they will grab any wood in the area though! it's also tough to beat when the fish are on the jumps too. fished at a quick pace, you can stay from 2' - 5'. go to a 1/2 oz. for getting deeper or when there are bigger shad around.

i usually go with 12lbs mono as rod tip angles can help with running depth. use different retrieves—stop and go, ripping out of grass, yo-yo, steady, etc. they all have their place.

blue/chrome, blk/chrome, bone are great colors. i go silent when i know the water has been pounded with regular rattlers.

tight lines,
will

ps - stringjam, bait monkey really likes your baits wants me to get his favorite snack "visa" out while he looks at your pics!
Amistad Tackle

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:12 pm

Get the thickest diameter line you can tollerate and cast a SPOT. They hold up better than any LuckyCraft I own, and I catch a ton of bass off of them. Believe me or not, I have never been outfished rattle bait vs. rattlebait when I'm throwing the Spot!! (I hope that I haven't Jinxed myself :lol:

secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by secretweapon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:56 pm

guys thanks for the info!
String jam/dragon- I'm with ya on the using shallow lipped cranks for this type application (the shallow bandits have VERY been good to me this year) I'm just looking to expand the old playbook a little. That shimano complex undulater looks like an option, I'll be on the lookout.

Cal- thanks for the heads up on the LV 0, I don't know how I've never noticed that lure before. It's the first lipped bait with that profile I've ever seen. Couldn't resist and picked up one in american shad ( Is there a more realistic looking pattern in the industry?)

Thanks,
josh

bass50
Angler
Angler

Post by bass50 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Not sure what type of vegetation you are fishing, but, one of the best ways to fish traps is to rip it through submerged vegetation. This is a great way to get reaction bites from fish that hold deep in the weeds. This is a great way to catch bass in the winter out of shallow water.

You have to really rip the bait free when you snagg the vegetation, that way, you clear the hooks of the weeds.
2007 Sponsors: "THE" Bass Fishing Forum.com, Dirty Jigs Tackle, Xcite Baits, Dobyns Rods, Costa Del Mar.

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:22 pm

try using braid to rip your bait from the vegetation and call a reaction.

there's so many sweet traps nowadays...I use the R2S Vibes and Lucky Craft Lv's and they seem to sink about the same as most.

If you want a good trap style bait and don't mind shellin' out $20 the King Shad has a bill and rips and twitches great.