Flipping and Pitching question

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Flipping and Pitching question

Post by Kimbro1014 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 pm

What is your favorite type of jig head and why? Football, Arkey or other? What colors and sizes of jigs do you normally flip and pitch with? I was just thinking about pouring my own jig heads and was just wanting your input.

Thanks
Joe

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flipping and Pitching question

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:18 am

It comes down to conditions. When I'm around rock, I'll throw a football head, as it doesn't roll over and won't snag nearly as much as other heads. When I'm around vegetation, I'll throw a jig with a recessed line tie, to keep from hooking up with weeds. Also, if I'm around wood, I'll throw a jig where the tie is in a straight line down to the hook, which enables the jig to flip up and over obstacles. Take a look at the cover you intend to fish, and then make the choice. I would get a few different molds to better prepare you for any situation. The Arkie jig head is great for skipping, as the flat head and sides displace water around it, helping it not to dig up and roll.