reel for light crankbaits

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
promax
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: reel for light crankbaits

Post by promax » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:57 am

Steere wrote:Thanks for all the info. I may give the scorpions a try, but really like the round reels for crankbaits. If you know of anyone with some for sale or that would like to trade for some revo SX or Quantum Energy let me know. Thanks again!!
I have 2 pro max 3600,s id trade for the revos 8 bearings never been used

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:26 am

I did forget one!

I use 2 TDZ 103P's for lighter weight medium divers (1/4-3/8 oz'ers) and it works well, after being cleaned/lubed with yellow rocket fuel. 8-)

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:32 am

Steere wrote:Thanks for all the info. I may give the scorpions a try, but really like the round reels for crankbaits. If you know of anyone with some for sale or that would like to trade for some revo SX or Quantum Energy let me know. Thanks again!!
If you want a round reel, you CAN'T beat a Daiwa Millionaire CVZ-103. I used 2 of'em for a couple years until I replaced them with new stuff, and they are SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!
You can still find them on Ebay, but you'll have to bid against the guys from Australia, they LOVE their Millionaires!!!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:23 pm

Yes, those JDM CVZs are beloved in Aussie land for sure...they are mentioned quite a bit on the Barra/Bream fishing sites.

BTW, there is a JDM CVZ 203 on Sell/Trade/Swap...if you really want a 103 CVZ, just post a wanted there...you will not be disappointed with this reel...I love mine. Also, if you want a JDM CVZ and can't find one, just look for a CVX 103 (eB@Y) and upgrade some spool bearings and handle and you will have almost the same reel save "rarity", line guide and color. Also, even with bearing upgrade, EAS side plate and handle upgrade, you would still be less or around same $$$ as a CVZ 103...just a thought.

If you must have the CVZ 103, Ichiban sometimes gets them used for very good prices...try emailing them.

Personally, if I wanted to pick up another round reel specifically for shallow-med cranks tomorrow, I would either look @ a Conquest 50 or 1600/3600 Abu SX UM S2.

Good luck.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:37 pm

dragon1 wrote:Also, if you want a JDM CVZ and can't find one, just look for a CVX 103 (eB@Y) and upgrade some spool bearings and handle and you will have almost the same reel save "rarity", line guide and color.
Been there, done that and did NOT like the CVX (though mine may have been the US version, i forget) ... they were far heavier than the CVZ and I just could not get over the weight.

Steere wrote:Thanks for all the info. I may give the scorpions a try, but really like the round reels for crankbaits.
Conquest 50/51 all the way
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Oolie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Oolie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 pm

i totally expected cal to recommed some rare reel from his collection like the IZE light.
lol
kinda caught me by suprise to recommend a production reel.

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:30 am

Since you are looking for TWO reels for light cranks...how about the TWO reels at the top of the heap for light baits..one Pixy and one Calcutta Conquest/TE 50/51...you wouldn't regret it :)

Brooklyn Bill
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brooklyn Bill » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:01 am

Not Round but:

Shimano Scorpion 1000--5.1 Gear Conversion, ZPI Bearings, Bassart 90mm Handle Original Knobs & 8 lbs test Sunline Super Shooter Sweet 8-)Versatility of this Reel with the 4 x 4 system allows me to throw from the smallest to the largest C.Bs with Confidence

Brooklyn Bill