Core vs Chronarch mg

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
fishinfreak21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Core vs Chronarch mg

Post by fishinfreak21 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:06 pm

I don't know if it is possible to compare these two. Weight is almost identical. I'm not sure how the core would fair as a finnesse reel. Which would you get for throwing clunns,jerkbaits and plastics?

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Core vs Chronarch mg

Post by tj1004 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:39 pm

I haven't used a Core but the 50MG works great for the lures you mentioned......The Calais 100A would be my first recommendation if you can swing that price..

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

I would go CORE. It comes with HEG...which is a BIG plus! It will give you smoother and more powerful cranking which will really help you when you fish those RCs. I don't have the Core, but I have it's JDM counterpart in the Mg7 and mine casts/pitches weightless plastics and lightly weighted t-rigs very very well. I'd go Core/Mg7...but that's just me..

Justin

fishinfreak21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishinfreak21 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 pm

frogpond11 wrote:I would go CORE. It comes with HEG...which is a BIG plus! It will give you smoother and more powerful cranking which will really help you when you fish those RCs. I don't have the Core, but I have it's JDM counterpart in the Mg7 and mine casts/pitches weightless plastics and lightly weighted t-rigs very very well. I'd go Core/Mg7...but that's just me..

Justin
I thought all higher end shimanos had HEG?

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 pm

I have both, like FP mentioned, the Core has HEG gearing while the Chronarch doesn´t, the Core is slightly heavier and bigger than the Chronarch but for most the weight difference is barely noticeable. Both reels are good but I haven´t tested the Core side by side to the Chronarch Mg to tell exactly which one is better for finesse applications.

Now on the subject of the speed version, the Core 100 MGFV is not a counterpart of the Metanium MG7, it´s different animal with similar skin, it has heavier gears ( brass vs aluminum ), Instagage System ( similar to the one you find in the Castaic ) and larger knobs, features that are not found in the JDM Metanium Mg7.

Core 7:1.-

Core 6.2:1.-

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:47 pm

fishinfreak21 wrote:I thought all higher end shimanos had HEG?
The Chronarch 50Mg doesn't have HEG because it's actually a variant of the old Curado 100B reel...

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:23 am

SLM wrote:
fishinfreak21 wrote:I thought all higher end shimanos had HEG?
The Chronarch 50Mg doesn't have HEG because it's actually a variant of the old Curado 100B reel...
Also, the 100-size Curados and Citicas don't have HEG, I believe.