BPS Johnny Morris baitcast reel

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
John/IN
Angler
Angler

BPS Johnny Morris baitcast reel

Post by John/IN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:32 pm

Does anyone here have a Johnny Morris reel? I would like to know if it is reliable as BPS claims to be? How difficult it is to ge parts after five years. I have the silver one, not the elite version. The box says it has aluminum covers. I guess that means both side plates are made of aluminum. I bought a Pflueger Supreme before. It was indicated on the box that the side plate on the left side was made of aluminum. But I found out it was not. I first wrote an email to Pflueger. The email was bounced. I found out later that the email provided by Pflueger was never supposed to be working. I called Pflueger customer service. The laddy there told me that she agreed with me. But the advertisement department made a mistake. She asked me if I wanted to raise the issue with that department. I decided to give up. I hope Pflueger people are reading the Forum here. If they want to have a good business, they have to change their business pratice. I bought the Johnny Morris reel because I heard, it was more reliable than Shimano, Abu, and Diawa, which I kind of doubt it. But it does look like a solid reel. Please provide your views on this. Thanks
Last edited by John/IN on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishinfreak21
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: BPS Johnny Morris baitcast reel

Post by fishinfreak21 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm

TT did a review on the elite. Take a look at that. It should answer your question. I will say your assumptions are right though.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:26 pm

I had 1 a long time ago...but it just doesn't measure up to similarly priced Shimanos and Daiwas. I would say to go with Shimano/Daiwa over the Johnny Morris if you want reliability. Shimano is #1 as far as reliability/durability...at least from my experience.

Justin

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Justin,

Thanks for replying to my post. TT does have a review of the reel. But it was for the Johnny Morris Elite model, not the one I have. It is a Johnny Morris model for 134.88 dollars. The elite one is in 200 dollars range. Thanks.

John

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:46 pm

John,
The Elite version is BPS's flagship reel, and is a very nice reel.

The version you are talking about is a solid built performanced based reel without ALL the "Bells and Whistles" that the elite has.

If it's last years version of the Signature Series, the only real problem I have seen with them is that the chrome finish wears away in brackish water...and some even say with heavy rain. While this is "only cosmetic", it still SHOULDN'T have happened. They have fixed this issue with the current line of the Signature Series with a new coating on the metal to protect against that stuff.

As far as parts, I am not sure how that works out after a 5 year period of time...I would imagine that it's possible to get parts, but because it's a "house brand" of reels...somebody else is manufacturing the reels for Bass Pro. If the reel sector contract were to be granted to another company after 5 years, it is possible and highly likely that all parts for old model reels will be lost. The Bass Pro Service Center should still continue to have parts, I would imagine.

Durability?? It's no Shimano in the similar price range but it seems to be a very durable reel. I have the old old series from 3 years back and havn't had an issue with it (other then it getting dirty). I don't use it constantly, but I can forsee this reel lasting an easy 3 more years without issue.

Hope this helps.
-Eddie

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:21 pm

I had one and took it back after less than a week. The reel is good looking but I think that durability will be an issue. Snidley

drinva
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drinva » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:22 pm

I have 3 of the silver JM reels (all with the dual braking), one has done 3 years of CRANKBAIT duty, one just all around use and one has done two years of Musky plug duty, baits up to 5oz in weight :shock:

I have had absolutely NO problems with any of my JM reels. Sometimes they were running them on sale at $119 ea and IMO, thats one HECK of a buy. I dont think any reel maker has a reel of this caliber for the $$$. (I also have several TD Daiwas).

I just used my new RevoSTX-HS today, and I like it very well so far, but I'm not so sure it's $100 better than the JM, yet anyway......

DR

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:47 pm

Your doubt is right...the JM reels will not be as good as Shimano, Daiwa, Abu. The few people I know that fish JM along with Daiwa, Shimano, Daiwa have in their opinion stated that the JM reels are not up to par...even the Elite showed regression of bearing performance after just one season. Anyway, per their experience...for me, I won't waste my $$ to find out.

The refinement of the reels, let alone parts availability and overall performance will not be on par, esp after several years of use. BTW, a used Shimano/Daiwa can be had at the same price and IMO will still offer a better reel.

Also, don't hold Pflueger to the flame too much for not knowing what their reels are made of or for having an email addy that doesn't work..that can be credited to them not having designed, engineered or manufactured their own reels for a LONG time.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:56 pm

I just got to throw my 2 cents in. I haven't fished the JM reel, but I have fished the bejesus out of the lower priced BPS Extreme reels. I still have and fish with all the Extremes I have ever bought, about 10, going back to when they had the pull tab brake like the Shimano. Of course, now they have the dual brake system. I have tournament fished these reels for all those years, and fished them hard. I have also used Shimano Curados, Chonarch and Calcuttas. I have serviced the Shimanos a couple of times as they are much more expensive. I have never, repeat, never serviced, not even oiled any of the Extremes. Why? I considered them throw away, because I got most at end of season sales for less than $55. I had reels (Daiwa) repaired that cost almost that much.

In my opinion, these are the most underrated reel out there. When they went to the external brake and upped the bearings, the Curado was no match for it for distance. And as for durability, I still fish with every one of them. One of the oldest is starting to squeal a little, so I will either have to oil it or throw it away. I love my Shimano's. But I have used them less, because, well, they are expensive. I didn't want to wear them out, but I still fished them all the time. THEY are the reels that had to have the bearings replaced, not the Extreme's. Maybe I am the only one to have such luck, but I doubt it. The Extreme is the hardest working little reel in the fishing business.

What does this have to do with the JM? I don't know if the JM is made at the same place or what. I can tell you, the lower priced ( they have gone up about $20) reels are tanks. I'm no reel snob, but I do like and buy much more expensive reels. But when I hit the water for money, or fun, the Extremes are what's on most of my rods. I respectfully disagree that a BPS reel is not as good or will not last as long as a Shimano, or other reel for that matter. I have proof out in my garage.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:21 pm

I really appreciate your replies to my post. I have heard so many people talking about the reliability of Shimano, Diawa, and Abu. I have several Shimano and Abu reels. So far I don't have a Diawa reel. The Shimanos are smooth. But the problem is that I see a lot of plastics in them. They look cheap also. The Abus I have are round reels. They are strong and good for pike fishing. But they are bulky. The JM I got had everything I wanted in a reel: good look, right size, excellent brake, and smoothness. I have people swear that they out last Shimano reels. But I also have people say that they only work for about half a year. I tend to believe that they generally break much sooner than the Shimanos. But the point that Shimanos are expensive is well taken. I don't use Shimano less because they are expensive. I know how to fix them. In that sense, getting Shimano parts is important. I was told that BPS is also good with providing parts. I think I still can't decide. Thank you all.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Hmmm...seems to have a rather larger polarity of experiences with these JM reels.

Only thing I can venture to guess is overall consistancy of QC.

LooksLikeSinbad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LooksLikeSinbad » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:57 am

I got a used Johnny Morris a few months ago for $85 in new condition. At that price I think it was a steal. The reel is nicely constructed, comfortable to palm, casts a mile and is easy to adjust. I love it. But, the handle does have a little play in it.

As far as servicing and parts I can't say for sure. The J.M. model I have is the JMX10HLB:

It is made by Browning and is almost identical to the Browning Midas MIG 10H:

I am hoping that if I ever need the J.M. serviced I could just go to someone who services Brownings.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:25 am

Well...I don't even know if Browning makes their own reels...firearms yes, but reels, I doubt it.

Good to see that the JM line is getting better. May last experience personally were a couple of their spinning reels from around the 1999 period, and they outright stunk. Also, I looked at some Pinnacles the other day just for a "guest" reel and thought that they looked good, but weighed a lot overall. I just hope that the quality and performance is MUCH better than it was just a few years ago (about 5 years), as I was not impressed with their offerings then.

drinva
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drinva » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:03 pm

None of my JM reels have "play" in the handle, never have had. Thats one thing I wont tolerate, and, one of the 1st things I check in a reel.

drinva

John/IN
Angler
Angler

Post by John/IN » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:18 pm

[quote="drinva"]None of my JM reels have "play" in the handle, never have had. Thats one thing I wont tolerate, and, one of the 1st things I check in a reel. drinva[/quote]

Drinva,

Do you have the 2007 model? The one I have doesn't have play in it either. I was told by BPS people that they have changed a lot on the reel. I actually like the reel a lot. I was told that there were a lot of returns of the 2006 model one. One thing I am not sure about it is how good is Korean made reels. Now, most Shimano, Diawa, Abu reels are made in Korea. How can we tell if one Koren made reel is better than the other.

John