Cumara/Crucial/Mossyback

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
mpugh77
Angler
Angler

Cumara/Crucial/Mossyback

Post by mpugh77 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:11 pm

I am looking for two new rods, one for 1/8 shakyheads and one for 3/8 to 1/2 oz football jigs. Does anyone know the comparative sensitivity between these 3 rods:Cumara/Crucial/Mossyback. I am currently using a 6'9 ML Woo Daves BPS rod with a braid/fluoro setup for shaky and a 7'Falcon Original series Lizard Dragger for football jigs. Thanks in advance.

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cumara/Crucial/Mossyback

Post by frogpond11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:16 pm

The Mossybacks are real nice rods for the $$...I haven't ever fished either of the 2 Shimano rods you mentioned, but I don't think you can go wrong with a Loomis. Another option in your price range is a Dobyns rod though. I use a 704c model Dobyns rod for dragging 3/8-1/2 oz jigs and it is an excellent rod for this. The 734c is even better from what I hear, it's the same as the 704c, just 3 inches longer. So that's just another option for you to consider...

Justin

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:39 am

Fished with my new Shimano Cumara rod earlier this week. It was the CUSDX68M and rod did not disappoint. Effortless cast, light and very and I mean very sensitive. I don't own alot of highend rods but I do own a Gloomis Bronzeback and Powell spinning rods to compare it too. I will add the build quality is better than my Powell and on the same playing field as the Loomis and trust me I love both those rods as well but for me the Cumara is the rod I never want to put down.

Weight is comparable to others coming in at 3.5oz, not extremely light but light neverless. Matched with a Twinpower 2000 the setup feels very balanced. The only negative I can see is Shimano doesn't have or atleast not yet a nice variety of lengths and actions. But make no mistake I will owning a few more Cumara's before the season is over.

Bassonly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassonly » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:22 pm

I use a BCR854 MossyBack for 1/2-ounce football jigs on structure, and a 853 for most light cover football jigs. Incedently, I used to use a Lizard Dragger for this very technique. Not a half bad rod for the job, but the Loomis will be a dream to use, guarunteed.
BTR Custom Lures--boonepowell.com River Slung Custom Lures--riverslung.com

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:01 pm

my Cumara CUCX72M works nice in my living room so far. Gonna demo it tomarrow and sunday for further evaluation. Check the reviews here to get an idea of its specs.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:26 am

deepsessions wrote:my Cumara CUCX72M works nice in my living room so far. Gonna demo it tomarrow and sunday for further evaluation. Check the reviews here to get an idea of its specs.
Please tell how that medium feels and what baits you used in your testing. Thanks.

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:49 pm

Phippy wrote:
deepsessions wrote:my Cumara CUCX72M works nice in my living room so far. Gonna demo it tomarrow and sunday for further evaluation. Check the reviews here to get an idea of its specs.
Please tell how that medium feels and what baits you used in your testing. Thanks.
well I went out today in the rain for to test out the Cumara. geez...I wish I could say I caught a few fish on it but nada....threw my swimbaits most of the day but did put a little time in on the Cumara.

I threw 1/4-1/2oz t-rigs,1/4-1/2oz jigs and a 3/16oz dropshot rig. On a Daiwa Zillion w/15lb Seaguar Invizx. All of the baits casted and handled wonderfully. The rod is very light and well balanced and is very comfortable imo. Mainly because I hold my casting rods with my index finger under the line and the small foam foregrip is just big enough for your middle finger to rest on. I did get a few bites and they telegraphed very well however the wind and rain made it a little tougher to stay in position and capitalize.

until I can put some more time behind the rod and try different lines I would initially say its a pleasure to use you owe it to yourself to atleast handle one.

to be continued.....

Midnightrun1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Midnightrun1 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Well I would have to say the Cumara. That is the only one that I have out of the list. but WOW. Could there be anything better in the price range?

Joe :D

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:13 pm

I held a Cumara today, didn't pay much attention to the model, but man it felt sweet. SUPER light and looked really good. They felt a lot better than the Mossybacks IMO. They are definitely on my short list...should be awesome with the Core