Need Help: Calling all Crankbait Addicts .

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need Help: Calling all Crankbait Addicts .

Post by GAMEOVER » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:31 pm

I've been and am a diehard crankbait user. It is the only technique I consistantly have used the same ammount of time year in/year out every year. If it weren't for my topwater addiction cranking would be it. I have only specialized in Wide-Wobbleing cranks not fishing tight wobblers at all, until now.. I am a Balsa junky but love plastic as well. Im use to my Rapala DTs, Griffons, Zeros, RPMs, etc, etc. But now, at a time of the year where I usually dont fish as much, and when I did id go to a trusty jerkbait or lipless crank im explorering the world of Tight-Wobbleing full bodied Crankbaits.

Trouble is my arsenal of these types of baits isnt considered an arsenal, in other words, I need to build an arsenal of these type of baits and I need your guys help in doing so. So far I only have some Daiwa Peanuts, Bandit 100s, and Bomber Model A's.

I ask of you guys to recommend me some tight wobbleing full bodied crankbaits that dive no shallower then 1 foot (no wake cranks) and no deeper the 6 feet (for now). Price is of no concern, you can recommend main stream market cranks or JDM/custom. Please recommend as many as you can that fit my criteria and perform average or better. Rattles are a plus but will fish them without as well. Louder rattles are better then deeper tone rattles for me.

-Eric

simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need Help: Calling all Crankbait Addicts .

Post by simple_mr2 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:16 pm

lucky craft SKT ("skeet reese") model. i have a few deep runners, they swim pretty darn tight. the medium runner would better fit your needs tho...
shimano/powell man gone daiwa/dobyns.... zomg!

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:22 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:I ask of you guys to recommend me some tight wobbleing full bodied crankbaits that dive no shallower then 1 foot (no wake cranks) and no deeper the 6 feet (for now).
Like a (shallow) shad rap?
Last edited by iangler on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:09 am

LC CB100 and 200. You already mentionned the bandits, that and the LC are my favorites. In cover free water I use a lot of bevy shad, I guess they go down to 6ft more or less.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:30 am

Fbass wrote:LC CB100 and 200. You already mentionned the bandits, that and the LC are my favorites. In cover free water I use a lot of bevy shad, I guess they go down to 6ft more or less.
2nd the LC Moonsult CB100 and 200's. The only 2 colors I need are the Spring Craw and Ghost Minnow. If I'm not making contact with structure mostly rock then their not very effective. Their size and unique sound make them a must especially in clear water conditions.

I also carry some CB250's and 350's same colors. I would love to see LC come back with some more colors.

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:19 am

Luhr-Jensen Speed Trap

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:05 am

These are classic, Shad Rap #5 and #7. Consistent fish catchers. They have no rattles, so they are pretty stealthy. They may be hard to throw on casting gear, so spinning may be a better choice especially in wind.
Haven't thrown them too much and don't know how effective they are, but the DT FLat #3 and #7 have rattles and are a lot easier to throw on casting gear.
Also Reef Runner makes a shad imitation tight wobbling crank, can't remember the name.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:23 am

Stringjam wrote:Luhr-Jensen Speed Trap
terrible baits.. especially that 1/8 oz size that actually weighs 1/4 oz... do not buy these baits.. they will not work! :^o
Pin wrote:Shad Rap #5 and #7.
... and the #8 and the #9 and the... ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:51 am

I dont know why but I never had any success with the Shad Rap. I forgot about the Speed Traps I know those are classic. JDM options are deffinately welcome. The Moonsault series from LC I never got into because when I heard they werent making them anymore but this was awhile ago. Right now the Bomber Model As and Daiwa Peanut have been the bread and butter.

Which Shad Rap are you guys speaking of exactly because I only tryed the Glass Shad Rap and didnt care for it. I know theres other Shad Raps like the Jointed, Suspending, etc. I thought there was a bigger market for these baits then there were for wide-wobblers, guess not?

Zander recommended to me the Norman N series? Any feedback on these? Man I feel like a virgin in this bait category (full bodied tight wobblers :oops: ).

Thanks again.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:07 pm

Don't listen to those guys above. Rapala Shad Raps are junk! 8-) :roll:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:23 pm

GAMEOVER wrote:Zander recommended to me the Norman N series?
yeah... Zander's former favorite crank until I got to him ;) :evil22:

and yeah, I agree with Puma too.. the Shad Raps don't work.. total pieces of junk as well.. especially the original wood series... ugh. :whistle:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

GAMEOVER
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GAMEOVER » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:08 pm

Cal wrote:
GAMEOVER wrote:Zander recommended to me the Norman N series?
yeah... Zander's former favorite crank until I got to him ;) :evil22:
What tight wobbleing crank dethroned his previous favorite?

And I think I get it already guys shad raps work just need to stay away from the GSRs. :lol:

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:11 pm

As far as Shad Raps go, they are my number one winter/early spring lures. I'm not a fan of the Glass Raps or the RS Shad Raps, I use the original balsa Raps exclusively. Usually I throw a #5 SS on 6 or 8lb test. But, I agree with Cal and Puma, they suck about as much as the Speed Traps......

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Ok GO, you said money was not a problem, evilbay some Shallow Fat Raps, specially the SFR5, they are popping at 25+ bones a piece NIB.
Last edited by raul on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stringjam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Stringjam » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:00 pm

What is your definition of "Full Bodied?" Shad Raps are pseudo-flatsides - - if that qualifies, there are definitely some more good options.....

Zoom WEC Z-Flat (if you can track one down)

D-Bait

Bomber Flat A (both the diving and shallow versions)

And if you like Shad Raps....try one of these:

Lucky Craft US Shad 65.....they're pretty good. ;) ;) ;)