Breaking in the TDA advantage ST

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Breaking in the TDA advantage ST

Post by aquaholik » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:26 pm

It's hard to pass up the $30 coupon from Cabelas so I added this reel to my arsenal. Yes I know Daiwa said this reel should not be use in saltwater. I have used the TDZ in salt and see no problem with it. The Scorpion 1000 is another story, the spool caked up with what looks like calcium deposit but after some lime away and WD-40, it still casts very well despite the spool's appearance.

First thing was to spool it with 8lb diameter(13lb test) Tectan line. I have been using this line for 2 years on some of my baitcast reels and my advice is that don't waste your money. It's no smoother or stronger than a Berkeley Trilene XL. I wanted to vary the spool diameter and see how it cast with various line level before I put braided line on it.

After about 4 trips with some winter trouts in deeper pot holes around Fort DeSoto, here's some pic:Image
Half of the trouts have been to big too keep, only one fish allowed that is over 20 inches.

Casting distance with 1/8 oz jig head is great with a light wind behind your back but not as well as the Scorpion 1000. Mag setting was about 5 with a full spool of line. After stripping off about 50 yds, I can lower mag setting to about 3.5 and it does cast better with less line and less magnetic brake applied. IMHO, best setting is not to cast it hands free with a lot of braking, but to use the least amount of magnetic braking so that it fuzzes up the middle of the cast. After tuning this in, apply a little thumb during the cast as soon as it fuzzes up and you can achieve a little better distance. I suspect this reel cast better with some limp 12-14lb test mono.

Overall, it is very smooth and a very nice balance between finesse fishing and line capacity for saltwater fishing in case the bruiser Jack Crevalle decides to attack the Super Spook Jr. BTW, the drag was very smooth at low setting when I baby those trout in.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Breaking in the TDA advantage ST

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:15 pm

Welcome to TT and nice specks! Good reel report too.

Dan

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:12 am

aquaholik wrote:It's hard to pass up the $30 coupon from Cabelas so I added this reel to my arsenal.
And where do I find one of these???

It's nice to hear the good news about the TDA-ST. It sounds like a bargain so far to me. Can you compare it to the Shimano Curado if you have used one? Preferabley the SF? I'd like to see those to head to head since they're in direct competition at similar price points. I should add that to that "What would you like to see" post.

Anyway, have you noticed a gradual decline in performance in the reel? I'm worried it will get that same build-up as the MGs in saltwater, although I suppose the problem would only be with the TDA's bearings and would take some time to notice.

Anyway, thanks for the review. If BPS ever delivers mine, I'll try those brake adjustment tips.

lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lmartinez » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 am

thinking about getting one of these reels i seen one at the san mateo show felt very smooth do you think this reel would be good for a flipping and pitching reel iam putting it on a 7ft avid med heavy rod really like my st croix rods len

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:07 am

[font=Trebuchet MS]aquaholik,

Beautiful pair of specks! What do you use for bait and what is your preferred artificial?  Also, is that a G. Loomis crank bait rod in the picture?
[/font]

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:31 am

Cabelas had a year end clearance and mailed me the $30 coupon. I ordered using the coupon and they sent me more coupon, so I ordered breathable wader to replace my Hodgeman Lite. Then they sent me another $30 so I use that toward a handheld VHF radio. The sales is long over.

If you can wait for the TDA advantage inshore then I would wait since it would have CRBBs. I'm pretty sure it's the same reel except for a few cosmetics and design for saltwater use.

The bigger speck hit a topwater Super Spook Jr on a cold morning at the edge of the deep hole. The water temp has been around 60 degrees on the flats so it's tough to get them to chase the topwater plug. I release two more specks around 21-22 inches and they all came from a DOA Cal tail rigged on a 1/8 oz mission jig head fished very slowly on the bottom.

You have good eyes and that is indeed the crankbait series Loomis. I like to use that with braid since the slower action is more forgiving with braided line.

I have used the Chronach SF and IMHO, this reel will cast lighter bait better. For heavier more aerodynamic bait, they are about par. I don't know about you guys but I adjust my shimano and my daiwa reel very differently. On the daiwa, I use no spool tension at all and allow a slight play and let the magnet and sometime my thumb do little work. On a shimano, 2 to 3 brakes out at most and spool tension according to the lure.

The one thing I like about the TDA vs the TDX and TDZ is the spool design. The flat spools lay the braided line much better than the V spool and the line do not dig in. That's why I prefer mono on most of my Daiwa and braid on the Shimano.

Ben R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ben R » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:24 pm

Yeah welcome, that was great review with some nice looking fish.

Local Rookie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Local Rookie » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:47 pm

Off the Topic:

Whoa! I've never seen trout like that! Impressive looking species! I guess I am not used to the urban stock trout lakes of Southern California.