Airrus Ultra xl

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Airrus Ultra xl

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:39 am

Just to prove that repeats are tough - yesterday I waded the same area as mentioned above (with a Japan Calcutta 50 on my XL) and fished a 5/8 oz spinnerbait, tubes, and soft jerkbaits, to try casting other weight lures. I didn't land a decent fish. I felt like I was in the Bassmaster Classic as I had several dinks on, and only one decent fish. She left me tangled in a tree and went her way. Both reels mentioned performed well on the rod, but last night I put my Scorpion 1000 on the rod and found that its color matched the windings and highlights of the rod. It was a great looking combo and the reel balances the rod almost perfectly. I'll try that combo today.

The Hawaiian Wiggler looks like this: Image
It is an in-line spinner with weedguards and a rubber skirt. They were given that name because they were the first lure manufactured with a skirt. I use a #2, which is the shallow runner. It climbs over limbs, rather than tipping over like a modern spinnerbait. They were one of the most popular fishing lures in the US in the 1930-50 period. I find them at collectible fishing tackle shows for about $1-2 if they don't have a box or have chipped paint. You can find them on eBay also. The #3 Wiggler is a Silver Minnow like spoon and the #1 is a deep runner. Get the #2.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:43 am

What's old is new again. This year i've been slaying them with 2 old Rapala shallow running Fat Raps one an F5 the other an F7. They are looking pretty beat up now though. snidley

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:59 am

R.O.G., sounds like you are enjoying the UXL. I have not tried mine with the longer handle extension. I will this week. I took all of this week off and I am planning on getting in some pre-fishing before my next club tournament.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:57 am

For those that own a Co-Matrix, can you compare the UXL to the Co-Matrix in terms of sensitivity, weight and action of the rod. I'd also be interested in a comparison to a Kistler LTA as well.

It sounds like a great rod and I'm wondering how much better it might be than the the co-matrix I like so much. Many thanks.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:59 pm

DavidSA wrote:For those that own a Co-Matrix, can you compare the UXL to the Co-Matrix in terms of sensitivity, weight and action of the rod. I'd also be interested in a comparison to a Kistler LTA as well.

It sounds like a great rod and I'm wondering how much better it might be than the the co-matrix I like so much. Many thanks.
IMO, the UXL is more sensitive than the Co-Matrix. Using the same line on the UXL and Co-Matrix with the same bait, I can feel the bait's movement more with the UXL.

As far as weights. Keep in mind this is with a kitchen electronic food scale:

7' Medium action Co-Matrix: 5 & 5/8 Oz or 158 Grams.

7' Medium action UXL: 5 & 1/4 Oz or 148 Grams.

Same rod with extension bringing it to 7' 3": 5 & 3/8 Oz or 154 Grams.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:26 pm

Kbook-

How does the action of the rod compare. I've always liked my co-matrix for its flexible tip yet retained sensitivity. Also, have you tried fishing with the insert on the rod? Does it feel solid- like a 1pc 7-3 rod?

The weights you list sound a bit high but relative to one another it says the Ultra is just a bit less than the co-matrix which is what I was wondering.

Thanks for the information.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:33 pm

I thought it would be a lot lighter than the Co-Matrix. Are you sure about those weights Kbook?

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:42 pm

My 6'8" M casting rod weighs 5.1 oz on a postal scale, with the short extension. It has plenty of power to fish almost everything I have tried. I fished it this morning with my Scorpion and caught 4 bass on the rod. It is becoming my lucky rod, for I had 6 other rods I was using. All fish were caught on a pearl tube I had rigged on the Ultra XL rod. Two fish took the tube after missing a buzz bait.

Tonight I'm fishing the rod with a Daiwa Fuego. So far I think my favorite was the Japanese Calcutta 50 XT. (And I thought I didn't like round reels). Maybe I'll have to try one of those new Conquest 50s.

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm

ROG, i am not callin you a lier or anything but 5 lbs 1 ounce seems a little heavy for a rod, am i missin something,

never mind i see it was changed
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:49 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote: Tonight I'm fishing the rod with a Daiwa Fuego. So far I think my favorite was the Japanese Calcutta 50 XT. (And I thought I didn't like round reels). Maybe I'll have to try one of those new Conquest 50s.

Yeah I'm thinking of that same reel for my Ultra. How does it sit on the rod? What's the difference between that and the Conquest in regards to how they work on the rod?

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:18 pm

The Fuego looks nice, sit's low, and casts well in the back yard. We'll see how I like it when fishing in a few minutes. That little Calcutta balanced out the rod nicely and cast well. It wouldn't make a good buzz bait reel, however.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:20 pm

DavidSA wrote:Kbook-

How does the action of the rod compare. I've always liked my co-matrix for its flexible tip yet retained sensitivity. Also, have you tried fishing with the insert on the rod? Does it feel solid- like a 1pc 7-3 rod?

The weights you list sound a bit high but relative to one another it says the Ultra is just a bit less than the co-matrix which is what I was wondering.

Thanks for the information.
The action is real nice with UXL. You can really feel your bait work and the slightest tap from a fish can be felt. Like I said on the weights, I was using a kitchen food scale so they could be off. It is a lot lighter than any of my other rods and really well balanced.

The extensions fit in real snug and there is no play in them at all.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:16 am

zmazefsky wrote:Okay, I caved, ordered one today. I got the ULXC701M, same as Kbook. It was hard to keep from ordering a MH. I figured I sold my Crankbait Special, and I can use this as a temporary replacement.

Now for the reel. Hmm. I like the look of that Pixy...

Z, did you get it yet?

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:39 am

Still waiting Kbook but I'm in the Raleigh office for a few days so it might have been delivered already. I'm looking forward to getting home and finding it on the front porch!

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:01 am

kbookert wrote: Z, did you get it yet?
Got home from my trip yesterday and found the giant brown shipping tube on the front porch - sweet. After inspecting the rod for a good half an hour, I had to get in just a few casts. Went to the nearby river and put my Daiwa Alphas on the Ultra. Tied on a Critterbait Shaker head and a Yum Zipper-like worm.

No bites, but I could feel everything on the bottom. This rod was really sensitive, I was impressed. I could feel the jighead gently scratching against the rocks on bottom, then I could feel it wrap around a limb and after I'd gently pull it over, I could feel it drop into a soft sandy spot. I mean, very impressive. Now I don't know if it's because it's a Medium or it's just that sensitive. (I haven't used a Medium rod in years).

I like the new thermallon, no major difference than the hypallon except a bit softer/more comfortable and as it says it's more slip resistant when wet. I like the extension feature. This would be great if I had bought the Medium Heavy for T-Rigging because of the extra leverage. I like the look of the rod too, it's a very deep burgandy kind of color that, when the light reflects off of it, it looks kind of like an inlayed woodgrain texture - hard to explain. Oh the hook keeper - never seen one like it. It actually collapses down when not in use. Pretty cool feature, not sure if it serves additional purposes or if it's to keep it out of the way from the line.

So the weight, I didn't notice a major difference. It was lighter than my 7'MH Comatrix, but what really made the difference is that sensitivity. I would prefer an Ultra MH in the 7' or I'd prefer that this Medium was 6'6", I don't think I really have enough uses for the 7'M, but I could be wrong. I was going to crank with it, but I think I'd be more comfortable cranking with a 6'6". I'll try it with the Fuego tonight.

Kbook, what do you plan on using your Ultra for?