TEAM DAIWA TD-S103HVA

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

TEAM DAIWA TD-S103HVA

Post by shimdailoomis » Mon May 02, 2005 9:04 am

Do any of you have any experience with this reel? I think this is the older TD-S model - correct me if I'm wrong - but, I found some for $129, brand new! Someone told me once the older Daiwa stuff was crap, but you can't always take everyone's word! Thanks.

-shimanorules

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TEAM DAIWA TD-S103HVA

Post by shimdailoomis » Mon May 02, 2005 6:42 pm

Should I go with this one or get the newer version (TD-S103HSD)? Found one on E-bay for just $10 more. Didn't know if there was really that much difference.......probably not. Do any of ya'll own a TD-S? Thanks.

-shimanorules

Hoss05
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Hoss05 » Mon May 02, 2005 8:15 pm

I have a TD-S 103PVA and a TD-S 103HSD. I think that the PVA is just a little bit smoother, but of course the HSD has a much smoother drag. I would probably go with the HSD.

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 11:56 am

Thanks, Hoss. I wonder why the PVA would be a little smoother while retrieving, and the HSD's drag a little smoother? Any idea?...Considering these are basically identical reels as far as features are concerned. Anything to do with the addition of Super Drag in the HSD (smoother drag), or the lack of 6-point support system (prevelant in PVA - smoother retrieve). Thanks.

-shimanorules

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 2:34 pm

-- just my guestimations.

-By the way, speaking of smoothness. Do you think that the reason a lot of Daiwa reels aren't as buttery smooth on the retrieve (in comparison - had Daiwa been th only reel manufacturer, we'd never think of it) is because of the use of harder gear material? I've got a Quantum Promo. DVD (really it's a PT promo. - very cool nevertheless), and there's a part on the DVD that expounds on PT gear engineering, and they said they used a metal that was not too hard (to keep retrieves smooth), and not too soft (to prolong gear life). Now, this makes perfect sense, but to me, I can sacrifice a little smoothness/fluidness (really a preference) to have a reel with tough gears that are gonna' last, don't you think? Thanks.

-shimanorules

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 2:40 pm

Nevermind the 6-point drive support system theory....and look at the gear material....: These are for the HSD-

Features:

-Super Speed Shaft floats spool on precision bearings, independent of gearing for X-Treme casting performance
-Super Drag with Daiwa's exclusive Teflon/Graphite composite discs for X-Tremely smooth performance wet or dry, hot or cold
-Magforce V X-Treme performance magnetic anti-backlash system (Daiwa's original Magforce design on 100 sizes)
-Rigid, one-piece aluminum alloy frame
-Infinite Anti-Reverse
-Dura-Loc machined phosphor bronze pinion for "fail-safe" gear engagement
-------High-tensile brass drive gear----------
-Six stainless steel ball and roller bearings
-------Powerful six-point drive train support ----------
-Tough Aluminum Oxide line guide
-70/75 aircraft aluminum Long Cast spool
-Quick takedown sideplate for fast spool change

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 2:54 pm

Hoss,

How do you like your TD-S series reels? I would be using one for redfish, specks, and whatever else....inshore (Iconfina, Steenhatchie, etc.). Thanks.

-shimanorules

Hoss05
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Hoss05 » Tue May 03, 2005 6:43 pm

I really like the TD-S reels, they are a great reel at a great price. Like I said earlier, The older VA version might be a little bit smoother (I have heard others say the same thing), but the SDs are smooth also. Since you are fishing reds, etc. I would definitely go with the SDs. The drag on these is just so much smoother than the VAs.

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks, man.

-shimanorules

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue May 03, 2005 7:09 pm

Hey, Hoss,

How would you rate the TD-S's in comparison to the TD-X's (besides there being a lot more plastic on the TD-S)?

-shimanorules

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aquaholik » Fri May 06, 2005 7:44 am

I have both the TDX and TDS-HSD 103. You missed the deal on Cabelas, $119.00 for a TDS HSD 103 with free Team Daiwa Advantage rod. The TDS is probably better for saltwater since the spool is not perforated. They cast light lure extremely well with 8-12 lb mono. I tried braid on it several times and did not like it. The V- spool doesn't work to well with braid. It cause sticking and reduce distance. The older TDS has some problem with the magforce dial. Sometime it will slip and need to be re-engage.