New Review: Shimano Stradic MgF

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Review: Shimano Stradic MgF

Post by Zander » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:45 am

Vador has just completed the test and review of the Shimano MgF. Let us know what you think about the review, and if you have had any experience with the reel what your personal opinion is.

Review:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanostradicMg.shtm

fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Re: New Review: Shimano Stradic MgF

Post by fishingirl » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:55 am

I enjoyed the review. Lots of good info there. Do you know why Shimano didn't go with more meagnesium on the reel itself, and whether they willmake a higher end s-concept magnesium reel (perhaps stella) that can really compete with the Daiwa TD-Z?

AquaFish
Angler
Angler

Post by AquaFish » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:52 pm

As always, very nice review that includes great pictures and good detailed explanations on the reel! So I think you know.. I like it! But like the review says, I think I would go with the S-Concept due to the better performing parts.

What do others thinks?

AF

bundy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bundy » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:23 am

I've been using the stradic 2500 mgf for about a month. You can't minimize just how wonderful the weight reduction is. This reel feels VERY comfortable , especially if lightweight is your fancy (I have had shoulder surgery and this is a real blessing).
I don't fish in saltwater so magnesium is not a concern. The Daiwa TDZ 2500 costs over three times as much and is over an ounce heavier and also has a magnesium rotor. The Shimano is an excellent value.

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:20 am

Good review, Vador. Well-written, clear, and thorough. Nice pics too, JIP. I would've liked a little more information about possible reasons for the unsatisfactory drag eg. composition of the drag washers, size and number of drag washers. A local shop here told me that when he opened up Daiwa and Shimano reels up, he found that Daiwa always had more drag washers for the money, whereas, Shimano would have the same number of drag washers from their cheap to above-mid priced reels. So he said for value, you're getting more for your money with Daiwa.

I'll share some more information I came across, for those looking at the Shimano Stradics as I did before. Hope this helps. :roll:

Here's a quote by Junn, the owner and reel repair expert at http://www.japantackle.com under the "recommendations" heading: (in japan, they always get the new model reels 1-2 yrs earlier than the US so they know a lot of the problems with the new models by the time it gets to the here. Unfortunately, at least with Quantum and Shimano, when problems are noticed in japan, the reels are NOT fixed before coming to the US so US customers complain about the same problems years later).

" Warning !! Shimano TwinPower/Sustain MG, Biomaster/Stradic MG reels,,,, These reels have been sold since 2000 in Japan, and have bad reputations about lines getting winded on spool shafts inside spool skirt. The enlarged spool cause large opening between spool and rotor, and line easily gets in. To prevent the trouble, please keep line tension, and always feather spool after casts.

Warning !! Some reported 2001, 2002, 2003 Shimano reels' bail wire cuts lines, and I confirmed this problem with 2002 Shimano Biomaster 2000 and 2500. The metal part, looking like tear drop, at bail wire has sharp edge at the connection with bail wire, and it cuts lines. This mostly happens with PE braided lines and very thin lines (up to 5lb). Please check the connection place before you purchase a new Shimano reel. To fix the problem, put a little glue to cover the gap and edge.

Basically, Daiwa spin reels have less line troubles. And after Shimano introduced slow oscillation system, the difference is more obvious. Non-trouble is far more important than 3 yard additional casting distance, in my opinion. Now all Shimano and Daiwa reels are very smooth. Daiwa needs turn-in, and later gets better. Shimanos rotate very smooth from initially, but get rougher faster than Daiwa."

Vador
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Vador » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:38 pm

Thanx for your comments Gyro! In regards to the Japan Tackle comments that you posted, I will have to take consider those when I use the reel again soon. I did see how it might be possible to cut the line on the bail lip, however it would have to be some weak line and you would still have to try to cut it against it (at least on my reel).

I think we will be posting more detailed drag info when we do some of the "head 2 head" stuff we are attempting to do soon. Either that or perhaps we can do a drag study; a quick comparison to all spinning drags would be cool. :idea: