Berkley Vanish Fourocarbon for spinning reel

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
MoKan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Berkley Vanish Fourocarbon for spinning reel

Post by MoKan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:43 pm

I want to use some Berkley Vanish Flourocarbon for my spinning reel. 6 lb. test, 2500 size reel.
Is this line suitable for spinning reels? Does it perform and handle okay?
I've never used it. But, I am a good customer of Berkley Trilene lines.
Both, XL and XT Trilene are okay lines. I have very few complaints.
Berkley Sensation, is also on my short list of lines to try this summer.
I don't change or experiment with lines too often.
If I find a good product, I may stick with it for years.
So, I'm trying some of the newer lines this summer. :mrgreen:

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Berkley Vanish Fourocarbon for spinning reel

Post by Mattman » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:58 pm

I've heard they reformulated since I tried it.

I HATED it on a spinning reel. It was very unruly and hard to manage. I'm pretty good at sticking something out and giving it a fair try but this line didn't last long on my reel. It was over-the-top annoying.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm

I tried it in 15# test on one of my baitcasters----never again as it broke too easily. Now I d/k about the "reformulation"---maybe they 'fixed' it?

Dan

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:20 pm

I tried both the Vanish and the stren equivalent 2 years ago as did my dad. Absolute dogs in my opinion. We both had line breaking in the spool with the baitcasters and breaking in numerous spots on the spinning reels. When it first happened to me alone, I thougth it was a one off caused by me. A month later after I had line break in the middle of a cast and my dad had two lines break in the middle of a cast, I decided this line did not represent the normal quality of Berkley or Stren product I'd used in the past. Upon the recommendation of several, I tried P-Line Flouroclear and have never looked back. Better product may exist on the market but I have had absolutely no problems with 6, 8, 12, 15 or 20lb flourclear on a variety of reels, rods and applications. Given its diameter, seems tough as nails and strong. I have no fear in fishing for 4lb smallmouth with 6# line. I plan to give the Yozuri Hybrid I've been hearing about a try to but I'm very satisfied with P-line. Absolutely nothing worse than having line problems that negatively impact the short time I get to spend on the water so line isn't something I care to take much risk on.

Best of luck!

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:28 am

no doubt its great line, but it is a little tough to handle on spinning gear. I use it mainly for baitcast with drop shot, cranks, and spinner dinners. Good luck with it and try some out its not that expensive so if you hate get rid of it.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:28 pm

JB, you may want to check out this thread.

Berkley Flourocarbon Sucks
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:49 pm

kinda funny, personally i wouldnt tie that knot for that line try the trilene knot and wet the line always! the P knot is a great knot but not for all applications.

Seatrout
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seatrout » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:09 am

Sorry for intruding on your thread Jeff Bryant :D !

I was going to post about flourocarbon myself when you started this thread.

I understand most of you are quite negative towards this Berkley Vanish Flourocarbon.

Fluorocarbon (to my knowledge) is hardly ever used in Sweden. Except as leader when fly-fishing in certain situations.
Can someone enlight me a little about the characteristics of fluorocarbon :?: . I was actually going to buy some of the brand Sunline to use for my ultra-light spinning. Now I'm not that sure I will anymore :-k .

Are you guys negative towards all fluorocarbon-lines or just towards this Berkley line?

/Seatrout

Wayne
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Wayne » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Go with the Sensation,Vanish is horrible on spinng reels,tried it last year. Used to use XL and XT now I use Sensation only for my spinning reels and some PowerPro in extreme situations.JMHO

Wayne