Rec Recoil Guides - experience?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
ultralight
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rec Recoil Guides - experience?

Post by ultralight » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:24 pm

Anyone here tried Rec Recoil guides for spin rods? These are the lightest guides in the world (correct me if I'm wrong) and are of solid nickel titanium or something like that. I believe the Loomis GLX and the Cabelas XML Ti (top of the line for both companies) use them.

Wondering about casting distance.

ANd durability with whatever lines you are using.

Thanks!
UL

aquaholik
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rec Recoil Guides - experience?

Post by aquaholik » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:26 pm

I actually have both. I have the Loomis in 7ft 1in. and the XML Ti in the 7ft medium action. It won't increase your casting distance but so far, I can't say it has decrease it. I've been using both with a Caldia Kix 2500, Certate 2500 and TDA advantage 2500 spooled with 10lb Spiderwire Stealth, 20lb Spiderwire Stealth, and 8lb Fireline. I'm still a little leary with windknot and recoil guide using 10lb Stealth but I fire away with the 20lb Stealth and 8lb Fireline. Distance with the Loomis and TDA advantage and 8lb Fireline slightly underspooled with a 1/2 oz jig is 45-50 YDS and about 40yds with 3/8 oz jig. The Loomis is better suited for the heavier lure. The Cabela max out at about 3/8 oz but is much better with lighter lure.

Both rod are very nice but the Loomis GLX definitely feels more balance with 9 oz reels. It's not that the 7ft Cabelas is heavy, it is because it has such a short rear grip and it is a bit tip heavy when matched with 9oz reel. I added a $6 BPS balance kit to the Cabela's but did not add anyweight and it balance perfectly. I just use the butt cap that feels like it weighs about an ounce.

The Loomis is the muscular of the two and feels a tad bit lighter. You really have to force the reel seat in when using the Loomis. It definitely feels like a lifetime rod with the recoil guide and it better be for $360!!!

One word of caution, both rod are loud with braid/superline. I'm a litte weary that the fish might hear all that noise when jigging but it was just a slow day on the beach beaching two Pompanos. Thirty people on the beach didn't land one so I can't blame the recoil guide.

Both rods have the effective length of 7ft 6 rods, but without the weight, because of their short rear grip.