Fuego vs MG50

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Fuego vs MG50

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Thinking of adding a new reel. I'm thinking another Fuego or trying out a Chronarch MG50. If I were to get the MG50, I'd mount it on my Loomis BCR803 and fish plastics with 14lb test and move my fuego to my spinnerbait rod. I can buy either one for the same price so neither has a cost advantage to me.

Does anyone have experience with both? I like the weight on the MG and brackishwater verisitilty should I ever need it but feel like I'm stepping down feature and performance wise if I abandon the Fuego.

Will the MG50 handle 14 or 15lb P-Line or is that getting to heavy for this reel.

Thanks

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fuego vs MG50

Post by UT_VOLS » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:22 pm

I have both reels. I feel that line above 12lbs is too much for the 50mg. I just got back from fishing with the Fuego. I have P-LINE floroclear 15lb on that reel and have no problems but that line is pushing the limits of the Fuego for size of line. Both are fine reels. You won't be disappointed with either one. Keep in mind; this is just my opinion.

Mark

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:23 pm

i got a fuego for x-mas and sold it to get a 50mg and it was the BEST move i ever made, i use 10lb test on both of mine, but i would say you could use 14 and get away with it :twisted:
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 pm

Boone, Mark- thanks for the post. I was thinking the 15# PLine Floroclear might be a bit much for the MG given its spool capacity. It seems to work fine on the Fuego but agree that it is toward the maximum upper limit and may even be a bit much if fishing in 40 degree weather or colder. I notice that even the flouroclear gets a bit brittle in cold weather as do all the lines I use besides braid.

Guess I need to get another Fuego or find some alternative configuration of my gear that allows me to fish the MG with something around 10lbs.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:15 pm

I have a Fuego and a Scropion MG. I have to agree with everyone else on the line size used on the MG50 is best at 12 # and below. However I have to respectfully disagree about the line size on the Fuego, I use 20 # Sunline mono on mine and it works GREAT! If I were you and was going to get a reel to fish plastics with 14 # I would go for another Fuego. I love my Fuego.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:02 am

I have 2 50 MG's spooled with 30 pound power pro, a Scorpion 1000 with 50 pound power pro on it (on my Frog rod), and my Fuego is for sale.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:03 am

ROG, Boone-

What makes you like the MG over the Fuego. Size, weight, something else?

I thought about going the braid route and tipping the end with p-line when I'm fishing around rocks. I find the braid cuts like butter when fishing plastics around rocks.

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:57 am

weight, it fits my hand better, and it flat out, out performs the Feugo in every way,-castin, retrieve, drag, handlin fish and i could go on and on but......... 50mg is a much better reel :twisted:
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by UT_VOLS » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:12 am

I must disagree with Boone. I put 12lb Stren on both reels. Both performed similar with on exception. The drag on the 50mg just plain SUCKS. The 50mg may be better is another area but in drag the Fuego wins hands down. If I had a lunker on I would rather have the Fuego.