td advantage vrs curado

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
arley
Angler
Angler

td advantage vrs curado

Post by arley » Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:30 am

hope this doesn't turn into a 'war of the words'.
Pros and cons of td advantage vrs shimano curado.
your personal recommendations?
Not the supertuned or superfree models just the basic ones.
Please keep it clean - thankyewverymuch!
great site.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: td advantage vrs curado

Post by DavidSA » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:01 am

The Curado was my first baitcaster above $100 and got me hooked on Baitcasting gear. I grew up fishing spinning gear. I have a few of the more expensive Daiwa reels but can't get compare the Curado to an Advantage.

The Curado to me is like a Camary. Performance is solid for most anything I do with it and it has held up perfectly over the 5 years I've owned it. I think the SF version is worth the extra money and suspect the same applies to the supertuned advantage. The supertuned versions I find very helpful when throwing light baits like a PopR or Balsa based Rapala.

The main feature I like on a Daiwa vs. most Shimano product is the external variable brake adjustment. That said, you can set 2 brakes ON within the Curado and rarely have to adjust.

While you did not ask for this, if I was buying a new reel in this price range, I'd buy a Pflugger President based on what I've read and hear from people. You can pick on up on ebay if you watch it for around $100.

John Gaustad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: td advantage vrs curado

Post by John Gaustad » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:50 pm

I bought a Curado SF in version in earily Jun and DSA is right, it is very useful for casting light lures. So far it has been a good solid reel and "2 breaks on" works for most applications. I just bought a Daiwa Advantage 150H (not super tuned) for use mostly as a light trolling reel. It casts pretty good too and I like the Magforce Z brake system. I imagine the super tuned version casts even better. The Diawa holds more line if that is important to you for trolling.

I think, with my very limited experience that the Daiwa would be a little more versatile than the Curado (not the SF) since the drag adjustment is external. But either reel should give years of dependable service. The Daiwa is also twenty bucks cheaper if you're on a tight budget.

Maybe someone with a lot more experience than I have with these reels can give you better information.