Looking for a Crank Bait Rod

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for a Crank Bait Rod

Post by DavidSA » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:49 pm

John-

I'm a strong believer that crankbait rods can help you hook more fish relative to some stiff fast action rods. I spent a season fishing crankbaits on what I later found out was a fast action rod and missed more fish then I'd missed the previous 5 years. As an experiement, I switched to a cheap bps cranking rod and the hookup problem went away immediately. My only issue was that at 7ft it was heavy and I lost sensitivity.

Over time, I wanted a better cranking rod and ended up buying an Airrus 6ft rod that they are closing out for about $70 delivered to my house. I've fished it most of the season and like it a great deal. One of the things I like about it is that I can fish virtually any crankbait in my box on this rod. Normally I throw 1/2oz cranks but sometimes more, sometimes less and I can throw them all plenty far with a regular curado with 15lb test on it. I'm sure if I bought multiple lenghts of cranking sticks in different powers, I might get slightly better performance but I don't want a boat full of cranking rods. I wont' claim the airrus better then the other recommendations above this post but for my money, it gets the job done for me.

One other alternative I will mention in case you don't throw crankbaits very often. I have a 6.6M Moderate action co-matrix spinning rod that I have used to throw smaller crankbaits over the last few years. Coupled with 15lb Pline braid and a stadic spinning reel his rig transfers an incredible amount of feedback to your hand and I have not lost any fish that I'm aware with this rig. I fished it in a tree infested lake and could tell exactly what my bait was doing. My fishing partners were equally as impressed. I don't recommend spinning gear for cranking because if I do it all day I get very fatigued but if you don't crank much this might be an option that gives you more flexibility. best of luck

John Gaustad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a Crank Bait Rod

Post by John Gaustad » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:33 pm

Sorry I haven't replied to all of you for your suggestions but I've been out of town working (shudder).

Thanks to all of you. I could probably get by with a 6 to 6'2" one piece rod. I'll check out the various rods y'all suggested.

I don't suppose anyone uses something so gauche :oops: as an Ugly Stick in 6.5 to 7.0 range (two piece of course) for this application?