Rod for my new reel?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod for my new reel?

Post by Wachtel » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:27 pm

Hi all!

Stumbled upon a Shimano Calcutta TE 201 on sale and yielded to the temptation. I'll spool it with Trilene BG 10 lb or maybe 20 lb PowerPro.

So now it's a matter of what rod to get. I have some special requirements that narrows the selection down a lot but I don't know all the brands so here they are:

- Length 6'2" - 6'10"
- Two-piece rod, (travels a lot)
- Lure weights up to at least 3/4 oz

I've found a St. Croix Premier PC66MF2 that fits the bill. I have a PM70HF2 that I really like so this is a strong contender.

Any others that you could recommend?

gor
Angler
Angler

Re: Rod for my new reel?

Post by gor » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:36 pm

I didnt check personally on the 2 piece part but if you are wanting to stay in the price range of the premier I would check into falcon brand rods particularly the lowrider series and quarrow brand rods in the likes of the ML3 series.The ML3 series of the quarrow would run you a little more like $20 bucks or so and they are very similar to the premier series as far as action but the ML3's are soooo light,they belly the price for as light as they are.Just a couple brands of rods that I have had alot of experience with along with the croix and worth a look.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:55 pm

For the extra money and if you reallike Croixs go with the Avid. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Loudmouthbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loudmouthbass » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:51 pm

i love my st croix premier. i think its a great rod and i think you should get one

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:49 am

Thanks all and yes, the St. Croix could be it. No 2-piece Avids :( Falcon and Qarrow also didn't have fitting 2-piece rods. I did find two others:

Cabela's Fish Eagle XML XCLC663X-2 (don't know anything about them)
Shimano Compre CPC-66M2B (can't find this on online shops, only at Shimano's page)

But while browsing through catalogues I got an idea about a 5' 6" 1-piece rod. It would be the absolute max length to cart around. I've never used such a short rod (except for UL spinning) so I don't know how it would work out. I don't want pistol grip so this narrows it down a bit again.

Nepptune
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Nepptune » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:24 am

Hey there

If you wanna stick with the St.Croix's, check out their 3 piece Travel Sticks.
I have fished mine for 3 years now with a Calcutta 400 with 30 pound braid and have taken everything from 150 pound tarpon on topwaters from the beach to Dogtooth tuna and Giant Trevally to 40 pounds on vertical jigs off boats and any number of fish in between.
If you tavel alot they are the best option I have come across and are great value for money.

Keep it tight
Nepps

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 am

Wachtel wrote:Hi all!

Stumbled upon a Shimano Calcutta TE 201 on sale and yielded to the temptation. I'll spool it with Trilene BG 10 lb or maybe 20 lb PowerPro.

So now it's a matter of what rod to get. I have some special requirements that narrows the selection down a lot but I don't know all the brands so here they are:

- Length 6'2" - 6'10"
- Two-piece rod, (travels a lot)
- Lure weights up to at least 3/4 oz

I've found a St. Croix Premier PC66MF2 that fits the bill. I have a PM70HF2 that I really like so this is a strong contender.

Any others that you could recommend?
Wachtel,

These new rods from Grey are perfect for your new reel :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Grey are a part of the Hardy group and their rods are first class.

http://www.harrisangling.co.uk/product. ... eptid=2066

One huge advantage would be a reasonable freight cost from the UK to Sweden and no additional Swedish VAT charge.

They are available from many other UK web-shops so shop around for the best possible deal on the freight cost :) :)

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:48 am

You can find a St. Croix Avid for 150 euros and the Premiere for around 100 in Europe.

UK prices are usually pretty high.

The Grey rod reminds me of Tsunami (less than $ 50 in the US market), but I might be wrong.

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:50 am

spinningreel wrote:You can find a St. Croix Avid for 150 euros and the Premiere for around 100 in Europe.

UK prices are usually pretty high.

The Grey rod reminds me of Tsunami (less than $ 50 in the US market), but I might be wrong.
Not very likely as Grey / Hardy are one of the very few left that still manufacturers both blanks and complete rods here in the UK :) :)

I have both St Croix Avid and premier rods and for the money they are good rods. Really, the only slightly negative comment I have on them is that they tend to have unnecessary thick handles compared to some other rods out there. I also have two of the St Croix Legend Tournaments and I must say I prefer them to my Avid rods.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:57 am

Nepptune, I can't find any info on St Croix Travel Sticks?

Vidar6, the Greys look good! I'll look into them more, would have prefered cork in the handles but this is a minor concern.

spinningreel, could you give me the address of an on-line store that sells the Premiers?
Last edited by Wachtel on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:05 am

http://www.vincastri.com/index_cat.htm

Based in Italy, got St. Croix, Loomis, Falcon, Fenwick, Major Stick (Japanese), Satellite (Japanese)..

Click on "canne" (rods).

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:35 am

spinningreel wrote:http://www.vincastri.com/index_cat.htm

Based in Italy, got St. Croix, Loomis, Falcon, Fenwick, Major Stick (Japanese), Satellite (Japanese)..

Click on "canne" (rods).
First retailer I've seen in Europe with such a huge selection. Maybe there is still hope for us Europeans :big grin: :big grin:

spinningreel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by spinningreel » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Yes indeed, and the prices are competitive, too. If you get some stuff from the US to Europe the 20% difference between euro and dollar is "eaten" by VAT and you have more difficulties warranty wise. From this retailer you get almost the same price you would get by buying in the US, have it shipped over and pay VAT, but with better warranty service.

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Nepptune wrote:Hey there

If you wanna stick with the St.Croix's, check out their 3 piece Travel Sticks.
I have fished mine for 3 years now with a Calcutta 400 with 30 pound braid and have taken everything from 150 pound tarpon on topwaters from the beach to Dogtooth tuna and Giant Trevally to 40 pounds on vertical jigs off boats and any number of fish in between.
If you tavel alot they are the best option I have come across and are great value for money.

Keep it tight
Nepps
Neptune,

I coud be wrong, but I believe you are discussing an entirely different class of tackle. I mean...40# Trevallys from the vertical - my goodnes!!!

Yeah...even some of my lightest reels spooled with 20# Power Pro could handle such beasts (in relatively shallow water), but I would have to depend on a very good captain who could navigate me to "Horizintal" so I could better fight them. Otherwise, they (a 40# Trevally) might "waste" my equipment in short time on the vertical.

As far as a 150# Tarpon - done that (i.e., about 130#) on a Fin-nor 12# w/ braided - but we did not let him go deep - kept him shallow.

Thanks.

RojoKayao

Vidar6
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vidar6 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:57 am

spinningreel wrote:Yes indeed, and the prices are competitive, too. If you get some stuff from the US to Europe the 20% difference between euro and dollar is "eaten" by VAT and you have more difficulties warranty wise. From this retailer you get almost the same price you would get by buying in the US, have it shipped over and pay VAT, but with better warranty service.
Hmmm, if you are based in Northern Europe like Wacthel and me I don't think the warranty issue matters much. If anything goes wrong Italy or US are equally a bloody long way off :( :(

Using Bass Pro Shops I have never paid more than $45 in freight cost (FedEx Economy Express service) for a one-piece rod and I can guarantee you shipping from Italy to either the UK or Sweden would be considerably more expensive. Two-piece rods would be a different story all together as they could be shipped using the normal postal service.