What do you do with your older rods and reels

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What do you do with your older rods and reels

Post by shtuka » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:42 pm

When you buy newer, more advanced rods and reels, what do you do with your older fishing gear? I have more than dozen rods and reels (not to mention hundreds of lures) that I have not used in years and probably will not use them in the future. Beside eBay and classifieds, is there any specialized used gear stores, or maybe specialized fisherman flea markets in existence? I am interested in western NY, NW PA and southern Ontario (Canada) areas.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

LuckySamurai
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: What do you do with your older rods and reels

Post by LuckySamurai » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:16 pm

Dude,

If you really wanna get rid of your stuff let me know... be more then willing to help you lighten the load... no need for ebay hhahahaha... PM me if you really wanna get rid of them, I will be more then happy to help you with that, I am always looking for old stuff...

By the way, I am not a collector, I just like old stuff as they are cheap and bec I do a lot of fishing in the jungle ... and it is better to go into the jungle with tough and reliable gear rather then new and expensive gear.. hahahahaha...

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:26 pm

Well, first I keep the old stuff around too long. It has to sit unused for multiple years before I conclude that I will never use it again.

For my baits, I try to keep these up to date and have a mentality of use it or loose it. I throw them away or give them away depending on if they might help a friend or not.

Then I take some old gear and make it loaner equipment when my friends that don't fish much go out with me. They have a much better time fishing when they have something that works well.

Finally, I tend to give stuff I don't need away to charity or friends. My avoid is having lots of old gear cluttering up my life and adding no value to me.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:21 pm

I am a collector, and I pay fair market prices for casting reels from 1850 to 2000. However, with newer casting reels (1970 on), they must be excellent condition or better, and in their original box. If you've got something like that I'd like to hear from you.

Incidentally, the Old Reel Collectors Association is having their annual Convention at Lake George in May 2006. You can get rid of some good stuff there, I'm sure.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:31 pm

I sell my stuff to people i fish with if they need better gear or are not as fortunate to get some stuff ill give it to them pretty darn cheap. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

islandbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by islandbass » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:11 pm

Maybe you can donate them to local fishing organizations that help kids learn how to fish. We have at least one in my area called something like First Cast for Kids or something like that.

I would be inclined to believe they would be more than happy to receive such gear and you might even be able to get a tax write off for your donation. If only I had your problem of having too much gear! :D Good luck!

-ib

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:57 am

I fish with them !

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:13 pm

if i ever got rid of my old stuff i would sell it on ebay, or give it to some younger kids to get them started in fishin, ROG my dad has quite a few 1940-1950 pflueger castin reels in the box, i am sure you have these to, but just thought i would add that
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:11 pm

Boone: I don't collect Pfluegers, but they are the most popular collector reel among our members. If he has any of those 2800 casting reels, or any of the final US made ones, they are probably worth as much as your Pixie.

daleo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daleo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:55 am

OhThey would be for guests in the boat, kids, my wife etc, etc. If i'm going to have to fix, repair, cut out tangled line & replace, than that is going to be on something I don't use!!

chavez
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chavez » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:33 am

A rod, reel or whatever in the closet that doesn't get used isn't worth 1 cent is my motto. It either goes to a family member as a gift or it ends up on ebay. Once my paypal account has enough to buy a new rod I want, I go to researching and then purchase one. Kinda an ugly cycle though. :)

conniek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by conniek » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:52 am

we donate to Texas Parks and Wildlife as they have "Hooked on Fishing Not on Drugs" Fish day for kids everyyear and are always in need of rods and reels. Also some of the rehab places that have ponds, lakes etc can always use for the clients in rehab. Fishing is great therapy. conniek

K-DOGG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by K-DOGG » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 am

I take my old rods and reels to the Extreme Outdoorsman in Oakley, CA and sell them on consignment in their store. The foot traffic is excellent there and they only now(previously it was free) charge $2.00 per item to sell it in their store. I then receive store credit to purchase new tackle in their store. There is not time frame on how long your tackle can be for sale in the store. The staff usually assist you with placing a competitive price on the items. I have sold every item that I have taken to their store. I have only had to drop the price on an item once. I took a bunch stuff there over the weekend and with my proceeds I am planning to buy a new Powell rod (Check them out at Powell Rods.com) 6'8 M-Fast for Ripiing Jerkbaits in the Delta and at Clearlake!!!!!!!!! :D

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 pm

What a great idea for small retailers. Up here in canada they are always complaining that the big box stores are killing them. Here's a way to bring in floor traffic and get people to spend money for new stuff in their store. I've seen consignment before but the store always took a big piece of the transaction and consequently the goods were never priced to go. This is the kind of idea that could really create customer loyalty and lots of new people coming through the door. You could even run a revolving inventory online to keep people on top of what was available. Snidley

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by D.R. » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:15 pm

I give them to grandchildren, and kids I see fishing with snoopie reels, 404's, 33's etc. I had rather see a kid fish than hang out on a corner.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle