Choosing a Megabass Rod/Reel Combo

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
RiverMuskie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Choosing a Megabass Rod/Reel Combo

Post by RiverMuskie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:45 am

Could anyone give me some advice on purchasing a versatile "split handle" Megabass Spinning Rod. I would like to use this rod to mainly fish for Small mouth and Large mouth bass, but also the occasional Trout. What would be a great reel to complete the combo? (SOL, Certate, Fuego, Exist, etc...)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :D

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Choosing a Megabass Rod/Reel Combo

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:07 am

i would get the aaron martens rod, i am lookin at that one to be my all purpose light spinnin rod, plus it looks bad, and i am also lookin to match it up with a certate
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:24 am

I've never fished a Megabass rod, but going by looks alone I would have to agree witn Boone. That Aaron Martens and certate combo is a hot looking setup, but if you have the money I would get the new Exist over the Certate to go with it.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:54 am

Yea id go with the Martens rod as well. CHeck out the review on the here and im sure you will love it. The detail of snake looks amazing in person im sure. :twisted:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:20 pm

ya 6'10 just sounds like an awsome length for an all purpose spinnin rod for me, i cant wait till i make up my mind :lol:
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by UT_VOLS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:32 pm

My vote I own both rods.

F4ST-69RSDti Orochi Evolution (Ultra Extra Fast = Stinger Tip, 1/16-3/8 oz., 4-12 lbs.)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:39 pm

UT_VOLS wrote:My vote I own both rods.

F4ST-69RSDti Orochi Evolution (Ultra Extra Fast = Stinger Tip, 1/16-3/8 oz., 4-12 lbs.)
What is it you like about the Orochi? Is it the Titanium? Never having touched or seen one, I interpret "Ultra Extra Fast" tip to mean willow branch on the end of a pool cue. I'm hoping the Ti wrap and the enhanced recoil strength will help blend the action of a fast tip with the strength of an F4 butt and provide some unity to the whole rod.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

UT_VOLS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by UT_VOLS » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I like stinger tip and Titanium combe. He also mentioned trout fishing and stinger tip would be nice there.

RiverMuskie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RiverMuskie » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:56 pm

Thanks for the quick responses :D . I really do enjoy looking at these rods, but it would be better to hold one ASAP :wink:. Both rods are stunning! It's a very tough choice but I am leaning toward the F4ST-69RSDti Orochi Evolution because of the cork handle and the stinger tip for those trout.

I appreciate the insight and will post pics of the rod/reel combo soon.

Thanks again

Boonethelunkerlander
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Boonethelunkerlander » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:10 am

unless you know somebody who has one i think it would be near impossible to handle one, unless megabass usa would let you, and i think that is a long shot personally
Boone Barton
G Loomis Rods
Shimano Reels

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:46 am

Boonethelunkerlander wrote:unless you know somebody who has one i think it would be near impossible to handle one, unless megabass usa would let you, and i think that is a long shot personally
Boone,

What you just said was something I was thinking about yesterday: the inability of people to try out a new rod/reel brfore they purchase it.

In the past, I have bought several Fly Rods and, withouth exception, have been able to cast each before I bought it - before I laid out some heavy cash. As a result, I was able to identify a lot of Rods I did want as well as able to identify a lot of rods I didn't want (good rods, just wouldn't have made me happy).

On the flip side, I have never - ever - seen the opportunity for fisherman to try out a new baitcaster or spinning rod befoe they purchase it - stores just don't seem willing to let you go out back and make a few casts. As a result, I am completely miffed about the performance of a lot of rods people love and if it weren't for Tackle Tour - I would be totally lost.

Oh well....

Thanks.

RojoKayako

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:36 am

OTOH, I have been delighted so far with my "faith" purchases. Each of them were the result of research and the input of this wonderful forum and, once I put the apprehension behind me, I have no regrets. :D
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:25 am

I've bought lots of rods that I though would be good only to find them either defficiant or less applicable than other rods that were better for my needs. This is where TT comes in. It was here that I found out about Airrus and, to me, using a kickboat, their unique characteristics makes them my favorite rods. I now can purchase Airrus rods secure in the knowledge that I will be happy with the product I recieve. I can NOT say this about Loomis of which I've owned 9(now down to 4 soon to be 3) Fenwick of which I've owned 10 (now down to 6), Berkley of which I've owned 3 (now down to 0), St Croix of which I've owned 2 (now down to 0), Bass Pro Shops brand 3 (now down to 2). So I agree, the opportunity to try out a rod for a good amount of time is a real necessity especially when buying online. This is where one must give Cabelas their due. They will let you fish their store brands for 60 days with the right to return it as unsatisfactory. I suspect that they will offer even longer return for even non store brand rods (or reels, waders, line, lures or virtually anything else) if pressed by an unsatisfied customer and that's one reason I have complete faith in making my purchases there. Snidley

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:24 pm

Snidley wrote:I've bought lots of rods that I though would be good only to find them either defficiant or less applicable than other rods that were better for my needs. This is where TT comes in. It was here that I found out about Airrus and, to me, using a kickboat, their unique characteristics makes them my favorite rods. I now can purchase Airrus rods secure in the knowledge that I will be happy with the product I recieve.
Same here, I put all my faith in the TT reviews and forum members - it's how I finally broke down and tried Airrus, Kistler and a number of lines, reels and lures. Glad I took a risk on the experts' recommendations, now I can trust the manufacturers too.