best tube to ship rods??

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

best tube to ship rods??

Post by lmartinez » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:31 pm

what is the best tube to ship off a 7ft rod pvc or other also if i can get the shipping costs down any help would be great thanks len

islandbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best tube to ship rods??

Post by islandbass » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:17 am

PVC should work just fine.

The newest rod I got from Lamiglas (a 7' one-piece rod) came in PVC tubing. The rod was wrapped and cylindrical shaped foam was placed on the ends for cushion and more protection.

-ib

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:11 am

I've received several rods vis UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS pritority mail.

The best shipping container I've received was a PVC tube... However I would use Sched 40 as some have done... unnecessarily heavy. Even Cabelas ships rods in light weight thinwall PVC tubing.

Other rods have arrived in cardboard carpet tubes. Here heavier tubes are in order, Carpet tubes are solid, but I did receive one rod in a tube that couldn't have been intended for anything more value or substantial than a calendar. Good thing it was a litle weight medium action rod, 'cuz it was definitely subjected to some flex!

Regardless of the shipping methods, it costs about $8-9 to ship a 2-pc rod, and $14-$18 to ship a one piece rod.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:20 am

Ive gotten rods in both PVC and Cardboard tubes, but I think the PVC SHOULD be tougher, that is if the shipping people arnt morons and crush it.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

bigpapajim
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bigpapajim » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:08 am

Spend the extra 10 bucks and ship solid PVC, trust me its worth it. Those guys at UPS,FEDEX and USPS do not give a crap about your package.....TRUST ME. I know from experience

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:47 am

skeeterboy77 wrote:Ive gotten rods in both PVC and Cardboard tubes, but I think the PVC SHOULD be tougher, that is if the shipping people arnt morons and crush it.
Like the idiots at UPS that broke my AiRRUS CO Matrix a few months ago. I don't know what Cabelas used to ship it in since I never recieved it, but UPS managed to break it. You could morph it into a solid steel tube and those idiots would still figure out a way to break it.
Sorry just a little bitter. I've had more stuff dammaged or lost by UPS than FEDEX and USPS combined.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:56 am

There is nothing more frustrating as getting a rod that has a broke tip, because it was mishandled during shipping or mispacked. PVC has my vote, wrapping the rod in plastic and taping the butt end with a piece of tape that goes all the way out the end. Mark it as "open this end', to show what side the butt is on. The tape will keep the tip from hitting the other end of the tube.

I also like it when they come with the foam rubber pieces strategically inserted around the rod in a few places. This is similiar foam as they use on 1/2" water pipe--slit so it fits over the pipe. It is thick enough to protect the eyes, keeping the rod cushioned and centered in the tube.

Make sure the tube has the ends taped closed, nice and securly. I had one rod come with the end cap missing, but there was still plenty of tape to keep it in the tube.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:23 am

When I ship rods, I ship them in Sched 40 PVC tube and I encase the entire length of the rod in foam pipe insulation.

I've received both cardboard and thin wall PVC pipe rod shipments that were bent or cracked as a result of shipping. The heavier tubes and added insulation add to your shipping costs, sure, but it's much better than risking the alternative.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:46 am

Bubble paper ( yeah that´s how that bubbly thingy you find in all the ´puters n´stuff like that need extra protection ) and PVC tube.

lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lmartinez » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:20 pm

thanks for all the info how do they sell the pvc tube by is it by the foot or do you have to buy a full length piece of tube??? thanks len

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:27 pm

I think that it depends greatly on where you plan to purchase it, places like Home Depot usually sell it full length while small pop n´mom´s like hardware stores sell you only what you need.