St. Croix question

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
kirby
Angler
Angler

St. Croix question

Post by kirby » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:59 pm

For Christmass I got a credit for the local sporting goods store, I need a new rod. With this credit I can get ( 1 St. Croix Avid ) or ( 2 St. Croix Premier)
75% of my fishing is bass with the average bass being 1-2lbs but once in a while a 4-5lber.
I also do some river trout fishing and a little crappie fishing.
so my question is, is the Avid that much better then the Premier that I should go with the one rod.
Or should I go with 2 Premiers

thanks

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: St. Croix question

Post by DavidSA » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:12 pm

Kirby-

Tough question without knowing how many rigs you have or what your wanting to cast with the rigs.

My general answer is buy better not more. I suspect the Premier a good value call but having owned an Avid 7MH baitcaster for a while know it to be a very nice Rod somewhat regardless of price. I'd recommend you try an Avid. I'm currently fishing a Legend Elite Series rod. It is better than the Avid but I think the improvement less than going from the premier to the Avid.

If sensitivity is you key need (plastics, slow rolling spinnerbaits) I'd get the Avid. If reaction baits and you need multiple rods then I might consider the premier but would probably end up with an Avid.

murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:21 pm

owning both, I would say get the Avid unless you need 2 or 3 rods.

If you are going with the Premier, just remember they have been redesigned for 2006 so if you want the old model, they should give you a discount on the old stock
When I grow up, I want to be like Cal

avid
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by avid » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:13 pm

I have a simple rule that I follow. Get the best you can afford. You will never regret owning quality.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:50 am

I would go with the Aivd over the premeir hands down. I love me Avid crank and for the money i think Avuds are excellant. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

RonH
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RonH » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:12 am

I agree, go with the Avid. I always buy the best equipment I can afford, and as long as you have the money, go for it. You won't regret it.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:38 am

I personally think there is a significant difference between the Avid and Premier. If I was in your shoes I would definitely go with the Avid and work from there.

sony
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sony » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:58 pm

I have a Premier and I am happy with it. What are you planning to fish on it? Jigs? spinnerbaits? The Avids are a bit lighter.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:58 pm

spiroh wrote:I personally think there is a significant difference between the Avid and Premier. If I was in your shoes I would definitely go with the Avid and work from there.
I agree with spiroh 100%. Get the Avid if it must be St. Croix. I have an Avid 6'6" m/f and it's the most sensitive rod I've used.

arizonafishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by arizonafishing » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:29 pm

kirby - between my daughter and my self we own 5 St. Croix's 4 Premier's and one Avid. The Avid is considerably more sensitive than the Premier. But if you need two rods to meet your fishing needs you wont be disappointed with the Premiers either ...

kelly

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:20 pm

If you can just get one Avid and save for another instead of getting two premiers. I have a Crankbait AVID and its a killer rod and super light. I do like my premier but im thinkin of selling and getting another rod instead.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

dkk1485
Angler
Angler

Post by dkk1485 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:39 pm

Go ahead and spring for the legend elite you wont be dissapointed. Easly the most senstive rod they make.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:33 pm

I agree about the Legend Elite rods, they are very sensitive. I especially like the extra fast action of my EC68MXF. I use it for smallies with a Daiwa Viento--mostly baby brush hogs rigged texas style, weightless Senkos and beavers. ....sweet!

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:50 am

kirby wrote:I got a credit for the local sporting goods store, I need a new rod. With this credit I can get ( 1 St. Croix Avid ) or ( 2 St. Croix Premier)
Yes the SC-LE is top-of-the-line, but to return to the orignal question, Kirby has presented two totally divergent application that would seem to indicate a need for at least two different rods. If this were April, I'd say get the two Premier rods and go fishing.

But this is January. At this juncture, I would have to agree with Skeeter: Get the Avid bass rod now and save your change over the next couple-three months for another Avid!

:) JMHO, Gadget

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:33 am

gadget,
you're right, I guess didn't see the part about the crappie.... I zeroed in on the bass. good catch.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator