Any experience with the new Curado D's???????

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any experience with the new Curado D's???????

Post by shimdailoomis » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:18 pm

Just ordered one of these (100) model from Cabelas since I got a $50 gift cert. for Christmas. Anybody fished with one yet? Thanks.

-SR

D.R.
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any experience with the new Curado D's???????

Post by D.R. » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:56 am

I got my first chance to fish with the 100 yesterday. I got my grandson (9) one for x-mas. He let me play with it for a while. I think it is smoother than the old stile b's. I have 3 of the 200DHS and they are great. You don't seam to notice the diffrence in the weight from the b models. All in all I think Shimano did a good job.

D.R.
Prostaff: Dobyns Rods, Smooth Drag, Tackle Warehouse, Lake Fork Tackle

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:01 am

The new curados are smooth thats for sure. Have not fished with them yet though and I dont think I will be buying one unless its the 100 size cause those are much smaller for my hands.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:48 pm

I got one and man it's nice super nice!! Kind of funny...I just bought on of the 100b's too, like after I got the 100D.

I have only taken it to a large pond/conservation area, but from the bank it cast great. I currently have it mounted on a 6-9 Helium LTA. :D

I only casted T-Rig plastics and spinnerbaits so far but I will eventually test it with Cranks, Jigs, and others!!!

I will try to post a 'review' of it during the spring/summer when I plan to use it in tournaments more.

The construction quality is amazing as was the Curado 100b. There are noticable upgrades though. I really like the new handles the are softer and grip really well. The reel is a beauty too!!

Hope you have some great times with yours!!

Bryan

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:23 am

Thanks a lot, bryfmd.......

Now, how does the 100B compare to the 100D?

-shimanorules

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:57 am

I actually haven't fished my 100B, but I have fished a friends several times. He had it on a 6-10 Falcon Lowrider, an awesome setup I would recommend for pitching plastics, before he broke it....I'm sure he will read this...sorry dude! lol

Anyway, the new reel has almost exactly the same body style as the 100b just different paint scheme and components. The components however in my opinion do warrant the price increase. The spool is superlight allow for better accuracy and pitching. I love the grips as I mentioned before. The other things that really bothered me about the 100b like the plastic cast friction control knob and drag star are metal on the 100d, and the drag star on the 100b clicks so it is easy to fine tune. This also help because the drag doesn't get moved when it gets bumped.

Another MAJOR benifit for me was the weight, at 7.4 ounces...same weight as the Fuego I have. It make for a really light weight setup on a Kistler Helium.

Hope this helps!

bryfmd

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:55 am

For $29 more, is the Fuego that much better? Thanks.

-SR

frogpond11
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by frogpond11 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:00 pm

Shimanorules, I am the friend of bryfmd that broke his 6'10" Lowrider. WOOPS. O well, I've got a 6'10" Cara on the way to replace it. he he he! Anyway, back to the issue at hand...I think the improvements made to the 100D for 06 are impressive. 7.4 ounces versus 8.1 ounces is nice. I only have one issue...shimano took away our lightweight affordable reel. In 05, a 100b could be purchased for $129 and they weighed 8.1 ounces as stated before. That's a great deal...and in my opinion...the best deal available on a reel anywhere as far as value goes. But then, for 2006, they jack the price of the Curados up to $200 and the reel that is supposed to "replace" the 05 series Curados(the Citica) weighs close to 10 ounces. I feel a bit shysted...if that's a word..lol. That is my only issue with the 06 lineup from Shimano.

About the Fuego versus the 100D....This is just my opinion...I love both reels. I'm actually going to be purchasing a Fuego in a few weeks. But I guess the decision between a 100D and a Fuego would boil down to what application I'll be using them for. If I'm going to use a reel for pitching/flipping mostly, I'd go with the 100D. If I needed a reel for casting...say spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, etc....I'd go with the Fuego. You probably know this already...but the 100D has the centrifigal brake system which I feel is better suited for pitching/flipping...and the Fuego has the externally adjustable magnetic system which I feel is better suited for casting. When casting, the wind may pick up or something and you may need to adjust the brakes on the fly. This is much easier to do with the externally adjustable brakes on the Fuego.

Another issue you might consider before choosing a reel is the line retrieval rate of both reels. The Fuego has a 28" retrieve...perfect for most spinnerbait fishing and buzzbait fishing...once again, in my opinion. The 100D's retrieval rate is 25"...considerably slower but not so slow that you couldn't fish a spinnerbait if you wanted to...just slower. I actually own 2 100B reels and I use them for spinnerbait fishing in the winter months or any time when I need to fish a spinnerbait slower. But for those times when you are fishing a spinnerbait quickly, the fast ratio will help a ton.

I've fished with bryfmd's Fuego a few times and was very impressed. In the $200 range, the 100D and Fuego are at the top of that class....all things considered. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Later bryfmd <- my partner in crime! 8-)

bryfmd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bryfmd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:19 pm

Frog,

Great Post but...don't forget the crankbait application! If you look back at the review of the Chronarch 50mg you will notice that the TT guys made a comment about how cranking with the new redesigned knobs, that I like so much, would be significantly more comfortable than the 100Bs hard knobs.

Shimanorules,

To answer you question I love the Fuego and the 100D. As Frogpond said it would depend on the application. The Fuego is a great caster and the first Daiwa I have ever purchased. The magnetic braking system is nice and virtually eliminates backlash. The VBS on the Shimanos applies the braking force a little more evenly through out the cast that IMO makes for a better pitching reel. Both reels palm great!!!

Think of the Curado 100D like an aluminium Chronarch 50mg with a slightly different paint job, different bearings (the 50mg has AR-Bs).

Later,

bryfmd

shimdailoomis
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimdailoomis » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:53 pm

Got the Curado 100D today! It is a very solidly built reel and casts with excellence. Only downfall is no ARBs! Might consider ordering some spool shaft ARBs, just to add life..........otherwise, goanna get another one day! Thanks.

-SR