Question for TackleTour editors or anyone else that can help

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Question for TackleTour editors or anyone else that can help

Post by Big-Bass » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:06 am

Does the box to either your Shimano Calais 100 or Antares AR have a millimeter or inch diameter designation when they make their claims for line capacity. I posted a question like this a few weeks ago on another site but was just wondering true calculations. For instance, does the reel say 90 yards of 12 at (.013") or something like that in inches or whatever. I would like to know how much 12 lb. test P-Line Flourocarbon I could get on a Calais 100A, as well as either Sunline FC Sniper or MachinegunCast versus Trilene XL. I know this question might sound stupid, but am just looking to see what variant results I can get. Like is it possible to get something around 120 of 12 on the reel with a thin diameter 12 pound line versus 90 with an average diameter one. Thanks.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for TackleTour editors or anyone else that can

Post by Cal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:38 am

no line diameter designations on my Antares AR box.. sorry bud
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:40 am

Do not have the reels you mentioned to answer your question, but I can assure you that your question is far from stupid. Japanese and European markets (and probably the whole rest of the world) have precise diam/capacity marked on every reel. It is the ONLY way to calculate how much line X with exact diameter can you fit on your reel.
It happened to me on several occasions in the past, when wanted to try a new line but was not sure if I would like it, I would buy only 100 or 150 yds of that line. If line was thin my reel would be underspooled, even though the label on the reel said “12lb/140ydsâ€Â

islandbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by islandbass » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:41 pm

Whenever I buy super or co-polmer lines that have in general a thinner diameter than their mono equivalents at the local store, I take the line (eg P-Line CX Premium and find its diameter in inches or mm, it really doesn't matter) I want, and then grab a mono spool of Stren or bekeley until I find the # test of mono that is as close to the diameter of my line in question.

I then will be able to tell how much my P-line or whatever line my spool will hold.

I have a Shimano Catalog here in front of me and it says the 100A Calais holds approximately 10/100, 12/90, 14/75. I imagine the Antares will have the same size spool.

I think the spool capacity of reels in general are approximations at best but should be close to what is advertized. Hopefully, for our sake anyway :shock:

Anyway, I hope I did not misunderstand your question.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:03 am

With so many variances in line diameter, I don't see how the manufacturers can can even mention a certain lb. test capacity. They should use diameters only. From what I have seen, my reels tend to easily hold more than the reel specifies. I guess when the manufacturers make their recommendations they are using a pretty large diameter as a guide. Stren DuraTuf is HUGE! I believe 14 lb. DuraTuf is .17 diameter. That is equal to, if not larger, than some 20 lb test line. You could always take it and have line put on it at a tackle shop. They can tell you how much line they put on. Good luck!

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:35 am

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:03 am Post subject: Re: Question for TackleTour editors or anyone else that can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With so many variances in line diameter, I don't see how the manufacturers can can even mention a certain lb. test capacity. They should use diameters only. From what I have seen, my reels tend to easily hold more than the reel specifies. I guess when the manufacturers make their recommendations they are using a pretty large diameter as a guide. Stren DuraTuf is HUGE! I believe 14 lb. DuraTuf is .17 diameter. That is equal to, if not larger, than some 20 lb test line.
Yes,
I noticed that about Stren when I was in Cabela’s store. Based on their ICAST award I was planning to buy a spool or two, but once I noticed HUGE diameter I just turned around, and did not look back.
Seriously, how could they give the award to this line? If Berkley would package 30lb line into 15lb box, would they win the award? ICAST is sending the signal to other manufacturers to continue mislabeling their products, and they penalize companies (buy not giving them award) who are honest about diameter and breaking strength of the line.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:57 am

I was the same way. I was excited about DuraTuf so I ordered some from Bass Pro Shops. When it came in and I took it out of the box I honestly thought it had been packaged wrong. It strangely resembles Trilene XT. But DuraTuf is supposed to have UV inhibitors and it is also supposedly infused with silicone so it stays slick. It is still thick as rope. So I gave it to my son to practice knot tying. I spooled up with Big Game and went fishing. Another line that is supposed to be a huge improvement on a current success is Trilene Big Game Supreme. It is the same as DuraTuff-HUGE! I may need to look a little harder at Yozuri Hybrid.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:59 am

remember the old line wars about a year ago in in-fishermen between stren and trilene? Bothe were claiming they had better line strength and trilene ended up submitting a two page advertisement with a study done by the same university that stren claimed it got its info from. Bottom line, no pun intended, the line business is highly competetive and they are going to fight, lie, and cheat for your business. It comes down to which lines you prefer. Of those two alone, I like the trilene.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:38 am

quantum angler nt Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:59 am Post subject: Re: Question for TackleTour editors or anyone else that can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

remember the old line wars about a year ago in in-fishermen between stren and trilene? Bothe were claiming they had better line strength and trilene ended up submitting a two page advertisement with a study done by the same university that stren claimed it got its info from. Bottom line, no pun intended, the line business is highly competetive and they are going to fight, lie, and cheat for your business. It comes down to which lines you prefer. Of those two alone, I like the trilene.
Guess what,
When somebody is trying to win my business by lying, cheating etc, I just turn around and find somebody who has solid product and is honest about specs ( I abandoned Berkley XL, Berkley Fireline and Stren Original in favor of P Line Fluoroclear and PP). Instead of spending their budgets on R&D (lowering diameter, increasing the strength and durability etc) they are spending all money they got from us over the years on false advertising. I know that they still have huge sales, but the only reason for that is uninformed consumer, and established distribution network through WalMarts and CanTires in CAN.
I would LOVE to see American (or Canadian) developed and produced fishing line with solid quality that always keeps competitive edge. Unfortunately, it seems that domestic line products are driven by marketing “expertsâ€Â

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:16 am

I you look at virtually every large North American company the marketing of product is always chock full of chicanery and worthless "new" features to trick the gullible consumer into making an ill advised purchase. This is most evident in automobiles, pharmacuticals, boats, furniture etc. All you can do to fight back is to seek out information,much like what many of us do by coming to this site, that will allow for wise product selection. To assist others it is then wise to spread the word when a great product or service is uncovered so as to reward the firm producing quality, fair priced goods and thus insure their future. snidley

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:40 am

Amen to that, brother. If I had any other alternative besides Stren or Trilene here locally I would definitely be making a change. Well, I can use Cajun Red. The new Cajun Red Advantage is supposed to be good. And, as far as I can tell, Shakespeare hasn't promoted a line as being the next best thing to invisible clear chain or Wonder Woman's lasso. Sure, they say the red gets invisible but I can't say whether it does or not. I gues Shakespeare may just be the lesser of the three evils. I absolutely hate it when a company tries to pull one over on the consumer by being "less than truthful" about their product. . I just saw some Yozuri Hybrid at Wal-mart for 12.95. As bad as I hate to spend that much $$, I'll do it rather than support a company with "shady" marketing schemes. Whatever happened to truth in advertising?

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:05 am

Dustlane remember that good as Yozuri Hybrid is, it also follows the "strongest pound test approach" that Stren and Berkley use. If you look at Yozuri Hybrid it too is very thick and has a breaking strength much higher than it's box rating. I use 6lb. Hybrid as leader for Salmon and Steelhead when throwing lures and I can tell you that real 6lb. leader will not hold too many Salmon on a run. The 6lb Yozuri has the diameter of at least 8lb or even 10lb. leader from other firms and not suprisingly breaks at around 10lbs. Armed with this info it makes sense to review the line diameter on the box and consider this factor when choosing the line test that you want. If I wanted to use 10lb. Vanish to fish for Bass as an example (I would never use Vanish to fish for Salmon or Steelies) I think I would select 6lb. or at most, 8lb Hybrid. for the same application. All that said i really like Yozuri products in general and Hybrid specifically. As leader it also ties a very stout knot and is stiff and tough so abrasion resistance is very good too. Snidley

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:14 am

I haven't really inspected the Hybrid yet. I just saw it on the shelf. I really didn't want to spend $13 on a quarter pound spool. I expect it to be be along the same lines as far as the rating process. But Yozuri hasn't(at least I haven't seen it)advertised that their line is 70% more abrasion resistant than everyone else. I still have a few spools of Big Game so I am content to use it for now. It hasn't let me down yet. It, too, is a little larger in diameter than alot of the others out there. And I can say-that stuff is really tough and strong.