Powell Rod Review Made Me Do It

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Powell Rod Review Made Me Do It

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:15 am

Zander wrote:
Texas_bullet wrote:Cal, you are the Bait Monkey, the Enabler, the Serpent in the Garden of Eden!
Absolutely hilarious.... and so true. :lol:

you know you want one Zander... :twisted:

ShoreBound
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ShoreBound » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:14 am

Cal wrote:Image

you know you want one Zander... :twisted:
Sweet! Do they make them here on planet earth? :lol:

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:07 am

Hi, everbody! If you are looking for the rod Cal reviewed, you can try LandBigFish.comThey shipped mine same day ordered. Hmmm...now which reel will I put on it? ;)

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:11 pm

Thanks T.B, I looked and could not find them anywhere.I was going to try the kistler but do to recent posts ,I think this might be the one. Then Ill have to get yet another reel.

reelon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reelon » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:18 pm

To our tackletour reviewers, can you help be telling me the length from the butt to where the reel seat start in the powell rod that was reviewed? Thanks!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:32 pm

reelon wrote:To our tackletour reviewers, can you help be telling me the length from the butt to where the reel seat start in the powell rod that was reviewed? Thanks!
That's in the specification table in the review:

Length from Back of Reel Seat to Base = 9.5"

;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

reelon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reelon » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:41 am

Cal wrote: That's in the specification table in the review:

Length from Back of Reel Seat to Base = 9.5"

;)
Sorry, missed that! Thanks for the info.
Hey Cal, I know it maybe to much but do you think that we could get a rate of deflection for the airrus ultra to compare it with this rod?

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:23 am

T.B, what was the total price after shipping , for that rod?

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:42 am

Topwater...I ordered some worms along with the rod. It shipped USPS, and although I don't have a good breakdown, it looks like shipping for the rod and three packs of worms is around $21. Not knowing the weight of the rod tube, I don't have a clue if that's customary shipping cost. My other two mail order rods came UPS ground. So, total cost for the rod would be about $190.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:52 pm

Shipping from Landbigfish.com included my charge was $184. Though, they don't appear to have shipped the rod yet so I don't know if this means they are out of stock or what. I called them today about my problem and they promised to inform me tommorrow of the status.

b23ball23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by b23ball23 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:00 pm

well the MH's are out of stock when i called tuesady......thats why I had to buy a heavy version......................so far so good, it looks beautiful, and is super light just like my LTA

Today was amazing, i got home from school and had two packages. One was a 6'8 H powell the other was my new alphas ito ai from the great brooklyn bill..............................what can i say, i LOVE the combo..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have it spolled with yo-zuri hybrid (never tried it before)

Yes, I am copying off Cal ;)

i cant wait to try it out at my first junior club tournament this sunday before church.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEN
GOD BLESS
E21 Fishing, HI-SEAS , Tru-Tungsten/ Picasso, Black Dog Bait Co., Secret Weapon Lures, Catching Concepts Crankbaits, Tournament Plastic Baits, JKruz Eyewear, Mackintosh Realtors, G3 Technologies

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue May 02, 2006 12:01 pm

The worms I ordered along with the Powell 683 C from LandBigFish arrived with a packing slip that said the rod would be dropshipped from the Mfr. I called Powell today. It shipped yesterday FedEx ground, and I have a tracking number. Always nice to talk to a live person with answers. :) Oboy! Can't wait to try that bad boy out!

RojoKayako
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RojoKayako » Tue May 02, 2006 3:08 pm

Dear Powell Owners,

Please drop me a line (E-mail) now and then and let me know how you like the rod. Sounds like you've got a great deal! Congrats!

Thanks,

Rojo

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat May 06, 2006 5:22 am

My 703C arrived last night. I only got to spend 15minutes at the local pond throwing a 1/4oz spinnerbait.

Initial impressions-
1- Very Light rod but a bit tip heavy per the review in TT

2- Throws a 1/4oz spinnerbait about as good as my 7M Co-Matrix which surpised me. If I did not know, I would think this was a Medium.

3- I mounted MG50, Fuego and a Metanium XT on the rod. The 8.1oz XT moved the balance point furthest back on the rod but still not as balanced as say my Loomis rods with tranditional corkage. I ended up installing the MG50 on the rod at least for a while. I'd say reel choice should be based on what baits you plan to fish (e.g. ifyou want to burn spinnerbaits get a fast reel).

4- Pitches like a dream. The rod tip is more flexible then the other two rods I have rated an extra fast action. Was able to pitch the spinnerbait 40ft without problem and quite accurate.

I hope to get out an fish plastics on river creek later this weekend where I can compare this rod head to head with my pitching reference which is a GLX BCR 803 and Metanium XT.

Overall, initial impression is that this is a very nice rod. No regrets about my purchase thus far.