Reel advice?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel advice?

Post by REW » Sat May 06, 2006 6:14 pm

Hello,
I am sorry to bother you with another “what to buyâ€Â

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel advice?

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sat May 06, 2006 6:25 pm

if round reels aren`t a problem then you could have a look at shimano calcuttas in 100b and 200b sizes or team daiwa luna in 103 or 203 size. personally i`ve used a couple of abu 5600C4 reels for a number of years now and have had no problems. only replaced the drag washers with carbontex.

ChuckE
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by ChuckE » Sat May 06, 2006 6:32 pm

I can recommend the Daiwa Fuego. It has a number of features that are similiar to the Daiwa "Flagship" TD-Z, but at a price near your budget. It sports a very nice anti-backlash system that is easy to adjust from outside the reel, a clicking drag, fairly large spool for heavier sized line, and works well with lure weights 1/4 oz and larger. You can find a review on the reel in the Review Archives under Daiwa reels:
http://www.tackletour.com/menuarchive.html

The profile is quite comfortable for those with large hands, even though it is a 'low profile' reel. It has a very durable drive train that will last for many years with periodic cleaning/relubing.

...just a thought.

Chuck
TackleTour
Contributing Editor, Gear Crew Member and Moderator

Basser56
Angler
Angler

Post by Basser56 » Sat May 06, 2006 7:25 pm

While I don't use Daiwa reels, they are good. I would recommend either the Daiwa or the Shimano Scorpion or Curados.
One question though. If you are fishing muddy water, why do you use a flouro leader?

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sat May 06, 2006 8:25 pm

The fluoro leader is an "as needed" addition. Every once in a while, I actually come across clear water. Typically, though, the waters around here are very muddy, especially when the amur carp start to spawn, so most of the time I go without a leader.

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Sat May 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Save yourself a ton of money and go for an ABU C3 4600. I am currently replacing all my highend baitcasters with these.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sat May 06, 2006 10:37 pm

I was in your situation recently and considered the same reels, except the Scorpion. I had decided on the Citica but in the last minute found a good deal on the TD Adv 153ST.

danbo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by danbo » Sun May 07, 2006 2:30 am

I'm with wachtel! Check out the new Quantum Tour 7:1 Burner also.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun May 07, 2006 6:23 am

The scorpion is a very good reel. I think it is best toward light baits and pitching techniques. If you have the opportunity, look at the Pflueger Supreme (around) $165. This is a great all purpose reel.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun May 07, 2006 7:19 am

Daiwa Viento gives you an excellent Daiwa baitcaster with a great drag, external cast control, light weight and an excellent casting dynamic. It also gives you the innovative twitchin bar that can certainly benifit anyone who jig fishes the bottom. I caught a 12lb Steelhead as the cherry buster on my Viento and it was an exciting icebreaker. The only downside with the Viento is that it has a very limited line capacity. I was seeing the "bottom" with my Viento when that big Steelie hit and ran with my spoon. I bought my viento for $200 CDN tax in. That would mean about $165 USD so that's what the reel can be sold for. Snidley

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Sun May 07, 2006 7:28 am

I have looked at the Pfleugers, but some people have said that they don't quite have the longevity of some of the other brands. I had also heard the same about the Quantums. What is the concensus on this? Is this unwarranted bashing by the import guys, or is there something to those claims? I like to tinker, but I don't like when stuff fails on the water.

Actually, one of the reels that I had the kick lever wear out on was a Quantum US600. The rest of the real held up well (except the anno), but it seems that on that, and a couple of the other clutch components, they used a really low-grade cast metal (maybe aluminum, as it is non ferrous). Perhaps they have beefed up their durability since that time. Well, any insight you guys might have on the longevity of newer Pfleuger or Quantum stuff would be appreciated.

Thanks agian!

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 am

I have had Pflueger Presidents for some time now and they are holding up just great (Baitcaster and Spinning). I bought a Pflueger Supreme when they first came out for my Crankbait rod. It gets more than its share of use and is doing just fine. The dual breaking system is fantastic. It is a very sturdy reel and the quality matches up with a lot of my import reels. It casts great. These are some of the reasons that I recommend it for an "all around" kind of reel.
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:17 am

i have and like the new citicas (2), my dad has two new Curado100D and various older Curados. i also own a Fuego and it has a great braking system, if you get out into heavy wind, you can just click the brake with your thumb and let it fly, i like the shimanos better but for windy situations i really like the fuego. i have worn two lower end quantums out, they got really loose even after proper maintainance, PTs would probably last. i had a worm gear/levelwind issue on a Pflueger Trion, im sure it was just a lemon but oh well. i would recommend the shimano or the daiwa, whichever you like better

jackjackson
Angler
Angler

Post by jackjackson » Sun May 07, 2006 7:10 pm

go with the shimano

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Sun May 07, 2006 8:35 pm

Call BB and inquire, let him help you out.