shimano CI200

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

shimano CI200

Post by tj1004 » Sun May 07, 2006 10:42 am

i have three old Citica CI200 and they absolutely scream during the cast. distance is good, retreive is good they are just loud. i have taken them apart and cleaned oiled and greased and that helped a little. i know they arent the best reels but i would like to have them fixed, maybe upgraded, so if you have any advice let me know. i am aware that i can get the bearings etc. i would just like to get some opinions on replcement bearings. i would also like to keep the overall price low, since i'll be doing 3 of them. thanks in advance

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: shimano CI200

Post by zenbassr » Sun May 07, 2006 1:19 pm

tj1004 wrote:... i would just like to get some opinions on replcement bearings. i would also like to keep the overall price low, since i'll be doing 3 of them
i have a CI-200B used only for saltwater, and replaced the sideplate bushing and bearing with ARBs, $10/each. i highly recommend them, even if you're only using the reel in freshwater. you can also go with a four-pack of boca hybrid ceramic BBs. on the low end, a good set of ABEC3 or ABEC5 rated stainless steel BBs can be had for half the cost with excellent results...

if you want to smooth out your cranking, you can replace the driveshaft bushing with an ARB too...

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sun May 07, 2006 1:45 pm

i have never really gotten into bearings on a reel. where can i get info on replacing them

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Sun May 07, 2006 2:20 pm

you can buy ARBs directly from shimano, give em a call. if you decide to go with another source like boca or vxb, the size you'll need to replace both the bushing and stock bearing on your ci-200b is
3mm x 10mm x 4mm (ID x OD x W)

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=shimano

i cant recall the size for the driveshaft bushing but there is an ARB replacement so i'm sure the shimano tech will know which one you need.

*edit*
forgot to mention one important detail - some suppliers will pack their bearings in a grease that can be a royal PITA to completely remove. in not removed this will slow your bearings down, so whenever possible always insist that your bearings be sent "dry". that way you can just pop em in, add a drop of your fave lube & you're good to go ;)

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:58 pm

thanks for the info......how exactly do i open the bearing pack to remove the actual bearings?