line on baitcaster

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
kirby
Angler
Angler

line on baitcaster

Post by kirby » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:03 pm

hey i see alot of baitcasters like the curado, cruxis, ect. have amount of line in 10 and even sometimes 8lb test. I was told to never go under 12 or i would have ALOT of birdnesting.. is 8 or 10lb test just for expert casters, or are the reels that much better know that a novice can use a lighter line without many problems?

second question, can you flip and pitch with these reels
cruxis
trion
president
citica
or are any of them just for casting spinners and cranks?

i know this is kind of a sloppy post, but im tired.
thanks

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: line on baitcaster

Post by Nitroman77 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Most all my bait casters range from 4-12lb line with 20 being the most in flipping situations, but i can get away with 12-14 for that as well. Its not much different then using light line to cast with. You can flip with any of those reels. Right now im flipping with on both my MH rods a ITO AI and its great. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

newbassnut
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by newbassnut » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Light lines cast further than heavier lines and I can't see why they would cause a birdnest over heavier line . Obviously your thumb and reel adjustments control birdsnests

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Sometimes light lines combined with light lures can cause backlashes. But just light lines in general will not. If anything, light lines seem to cast easier.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:54 am

kirby wrote:second question, can you flip and pitch with these reels
cruxis
trion
president
citica
You can flip with any of the above--flipping is a fixed line/short line presentation that doesn't involve casting. The reel is just there to hold and retrieve the line.

They can all be used for pitching but there may be certain traits or features that make one better than the other, and that's according to your personal preferences. One may be too large or small for your hands, too heavy, etc.

I don't have hands on experience with the Trion or President but can tell you that your Shimano choices should pitch very well because of their free floating spool shaft-pinion system ("Super Free"). A reel with a Super Free type pinion system will pitch lures with less effort than a reel without that system.
Last edited by SLM on Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ricky » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:47 am

I can fish 6# with 1/4 oz. weights into the wind with minimal trouble and with 3/8 oz. weights casting into the wind with almost no trouble. A $60 Daiwa baitcaster, I'm no expert. M/H,ML, L. A light action rod naturally works best for me but M/H good too. I think the cheaper reels with the lower gear ratios can be used for flipping and pitching, I'm not much of a flipper. Hey just an opinion, good luck.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:08 pm

I used to use mono as light as 6 and 8# test cause I liked the fight. But it did nest a TON with even the lightest breeze. I would need at least 1/2oz weight for pitching. I switched to 12# Trilene XT and found the backlashing significantly diminished. But again Useless in Mild wind and there was 2 much Line memory. So I started using 12# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon and all those problems went away. I'm even comfortable pitching baits as light as Kinami Flash Senkos.