American Rodsmiths rods

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
jthmpsn112
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

American Rodsmiths rods

Post by jthmpsn112 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:06 am

I have recently been given a chance to purchase some American Rodsmiths rods. I currently fish a very eclectic group ranging from Megabass to Zebco with Kistler, G Loomis, etc. thrown into the mix. I have not read anything about them here and my Google search was not overly fruitful.

I would only be interested in their H3 Titanium line, but what makes me leery is their brochure statement stating they are the first rod company to integrate titanium into the rod blank. As you known Megabass has the Evoluzion line.

Any help or opinions are appreciated.
jt

P.S. added to the eclectic mix is my custom Otterod. Thanks again mattman.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: American Rodsmiths rods

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:13 am

if their rods are anything like their website.... :-k :whistle:

I could not find the page for their H3 Titanium Line.. it's not behind the link for "Titanium Rods" :?:

Lamiglas also used to produce some rods with Ti in the blanks.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

jthmpsn112
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jthmpsn112 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:25 am

Thanks for the reply Cal, I found the information in a brochure I was given.
jt

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:37 am

I've found there are a bunch of folks who will cash in on the "Titanium" thing but just because the word is used in the name of a rod, you shouldn't assume there is any Titanium in the blank. Like AllStar, American Rodsmiths are referring to the Ti guides in the series listed on their Website. Like Cal, I couldn't find any reference to the He3 Ti Series. :?
Lamiglas also used to produce some rods with Ti in the blanks.
Yes but when I last checked, there were no Ti2000 series blanks for LMB fishing. :cry:

AFAIK, the Megabass Evos are the only FW LMB rods using Ti strands in the blank. You can actually see them in my Jabberwock Evo FTi. 8-)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

jthmpsn112
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jthmpsn112 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:55 am

Their brochure statesâ€

Bass Pro
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass Pro » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:07 am

All Star has been using titanium in there rods for years, so has Bass Pro Shops with their Johhny crap Morris rods.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:18 am

I sure hope it's for real...I'm a huge fan of Ti. I wonder if any of the custom builders can source Ti blanks?
jthmpsn112 wrote:Jt -proud father of two current UT (Austin) students, even though my son appears to be majoring in floating down the Brazos and drinking beer.
Look on the bright side...he could be hanging out on the Guadalupe! :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:37 am

[quote="jthmpsn112"]Their brochure statesâ€
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:33 am

And another thing…

This isn’t directed at any one manufacturer here…

I always look to the big US manufacturers to gauge these other smaller outfits and the claims and new innovations they come out with. St. Croix, G. Loomis, Lamiglas all have significant engineering support, are doing constant and significant R&D, and really know what they are doing. If those 3 companies aren’t doing something that one of the little outfits is, there is probably a very good reason.

Titanium gets tossed around way too much. Lamiglas is the only company to have had some blanks (I don’t know about factory rods) with titanium butts. Fly, Steelhead, and Bass. Only about 6 models in each series. And now the Bass ones are gone. Even after they slashed $30 out of the price of the blanks. I suspect that it is a good idea, but the price point was too great. (although Loomis keeps selling those GLX’s) Lack of selection probably also hurt them.

Boron was a “revolutionaryâ€
Matt Davis

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am

I suppose this confirms Megabass rolls their own blanks because my Jabber FTi clearly has Ti strands running the length of the blank. I haven't fished the rod much but I have used it enough to know that I adore the crispness (recovery speed) of the stick. It seems it does have the characteristics that MB attributes to their Evolution series and all rods in that series utilize Ti in one form or another in the blanks. 8-)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:53 am

Where on the "cutting edge" scale do Recoil guides sit?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:04 am

Mattman wrote:And another thing…
Geez... who let this guy in here? :shock:

What a killjoy... lol

:lol:
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 am

mhood wrote:I suppose this confirms Megabass rolls their own blanks because my Jabber FTi clearly has Ti strands running the length of the blank. I haven't fished the rod much but I have used it enough to know that I adore the crispness (recovery speed) of the stick. It seems it does have the characteristics that MB attributes to their Evolution series and all rods in that series utilize Ti in one form or another in the blanks. 8-)
Ditto on my Diablo!

raul
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by raul » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:38 am

mhood wrote:I sure hope it's for real...I'm a huge fan of Ti. I wonder if any of the custom builders can source Ti blanks?
jthmpsn112 wrote:Jt -proud father of two current UT (Austin) students, even though my son appears to be majoring in floating down the Brazos and drinking beer.
Look on the bright side...he could be hanging out on the Guadalupe! :lol:
Marc, on THE Guadalupe or with Guadalupe or on Guadalupe ? ;)

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:15 pm

mhood wrote:I suppose this confirms Megabass rolls their own blanks because my Jabber FTi clearly has Ti strands running the length of the blank. I haven't fished the rod much but I have used it enough to know that I adore the crispness (recovery speed) of the stick. It seems it does have the characteristics that MB attributes to their Evolution series and all rods in that series utilize Ti in one form or another in the blanks. 8-)

I would suspect that they do, or have a VERY good relationship with a roller. And given all of their other custom components, I would suspect they have a number of very good relationships. The Japanese view those types of relationships with a lot of seriousness and much differently than most of Asia and the US. I think that's another reason why Megabass is so different. They may just be a design and assembly company but a good relationship goes a long way.
Matt Davis