Dirty Jigs California Swim Jig

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
drewsturrrr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dirty Jigs California Swim Jig

Post by drewsturrrr » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:16 pm

I was looking in to buy some of these. But for $5... kinda on the pricey side. What do you think?

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dirty Jigs California Swim Jig

Post by cst » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Haven't tried it but Dirty Jigs makes good stuff.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 am

I have A LOT of Dirty Jigs in my box. They are made very well and the color combination are great, but they are dang expensive for a jig...

I guess one thing to consider is that you don't have to worry about losing too many of these CA Swim Jigs. You can just pick up a few of them and try them out without worrying about hanging up.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:27 pm

drewsturrrr wrote:I was looking in to buy some of these. But for $5... kinda on the pricey side. What do you think?
I owned quite a few other Dirty Jigs and they are quality jigs. They work really well for me. I was also thinking about getting some of these swim jigs. Waiting for the Tackle Warehouse sales. :whistle:

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:52 am

Dirty jigs are amazing jigs...only a couple of brands actually put a stout 5/0 hook on the jig and dirty jigs is one of them. The only problem is that they raised their prices and then stopped wire tying their jigs?!? What the heck..don't charge people $3.89 for a jig and then stop hand dying them. Other than that they are still great swim jigs and I still use them exclusively. They are unlikely to go on sale since they practically sell out every time they come in stock. After Matt Allen put them on his tacticalbassin website...these bad boys went on fire. Not saying he is originator of putting a soft swimbait on a jig..but I would attribute the lack of availability thanks to a couple of his videos. I have had great success with using a RI skinny dipper though instead of the Roboworm.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:41 am

nice looking jigs but 5 big ones are a bit much, dirty makes some of the nicest color combo's ive ever seen but are they even hand tyed?

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:26 am

NJ Jigman wrote:nice looking jigs but 5 big ones are a bit much, dirty makes some of the nicest color combo's ive ever seen but are they even hand tyed?
no, they don't that's what i was complaining about. Although I would pay that much to get the color I wanted. I pay a $2 less and get one that you are not happy with. Plus you don't have to get the CA swim jig, the regular dirty swim jig is essentially the same but with a smaller bullet head. I like both of them..and don't feel that theres much of a difference besides their weight.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:34 am

fanjoo wrote: Plus you don't have to get the CA swim jig, the regular dirty swim jig is essentially the same but with a smaller bullet head. I like both of them..and don't feel that theres much of a difference besides their weight.
Since I just purchased a few California Swim Jigs to try out, I wanted to expand on the above. Dirty Jigs has three swim jigs offered. Since not all retailers sell all three lines, it is important to know what you are buying.

The Finesse Swim Jig has a 1X hook. Basically a normal medium wire hook. Similar hook to the Omega Revelation swim jig. Pretty much just keep reeling with maybe a sweep set pins them.

The Swim Jig is described as a Coosa style jig. It has a 5/0 3X hook. Hook is pretty similar to most pitching jigs. I've been using this one with good success using a heavy power (4 power) rod. I use a firm hookset with this jig. I've not had any issues with bent hooks when fishing in cover like I've had with the Finesse Swim or Omega.

California Swim jig has a really heavy wire hook. Hook is a beast. I plan on really setting the hook after I make sure the fish has taken the bait.

tehtuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tehtuna » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 pm

I love the big hook on it.

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:57 pm

civicrr wrote:
fanjoo wrote: Plus you don't have to get the CA swim jig, the regular dirty swim jig is essentially the same but with a smaller bullet head. I like both of them..and don't feel that theres much of a difference besides their weight.
Since I just purchased a few California Swim Jigs to try out, I wanted to expand on the above. Dirty Jigs has three swim jigs offered. Since not all retailers sell all three lines, it is important to know what you are buying.

The Finesse Swim Jig has a 1X hook. Basically a normal medium wire hook. Similar hook to the Omega Revelation swim jig. Pretty much just keep reeling with maybe a sweep set pins them.

The Swim Jig is described as a Coosa style jig. It has a 5/0 3X hook. Hook is pretty similar to most pitching jigs. I've been using this one with good success using a heavy power (4 power) rod. I use a firm hookset with this jig. I've not had any issues with bent hooks when fishing in cover like I've had with the Finesse Swim or Omega.

California Swim jig has a really heavy wire hook. Hook is a beast. I plan on really setting the hook after I make sure the fish has taken the bait.
What rod are you throwing tha CA on?

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 pm

744dx anything less then 1/2. 765 champion for 3/4

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 am

are you guys throwing the CA with a 5 " swimbait on the back or something else.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:01 am

georgeweeber wrote:are you guys throwing the CA with a 5 " swimbait on the back or something else.
Depends on the brand I guess. I bought some 5" Big Hammers to put on these baits and they're too big. The 5" Basstrix and Roboworms and other similar freshwater swimbaits in the 5" range seem to be fine.

They told me it's made for a 5" bait and if I wanted to fish a 4" I should use their regular swim jig but I think a 4" Big Hammer would fit nicely on the California Swim Jig as well.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:59 am

fishindrummer217 wrote:
What rod are you throwing tha CA on?
3/8-1/2oz Swim Jig with RI Skinny Dipper on Champion 734 or DX744.

1/2oz California with Robo EZShad taxes the 734 a bit IMO. Works but I prefer a 5 power. Been using the DX745 as I don't have a Champion 765 anymore. I bet I *could* throw it on the Champion 735 but I don't think the faster action of that stick is best suited to swimming a jig. IMO, using the 5 power for the California/Robo combo is more of a trailer size issue than difference in the jig itself.

I've posted in another thread that I plan on buying a Champion 764. The thought was to find a rod for big swimjigs, swimbaits, etc where a 734 might not be enough & a 795ML is too much. I want to keep the DX745 in use for 'feel' techniques. Checked one out in the store the other day. The rod is really a strong 4 power (showroom comparison anyway :) ). I'm gonna check it out again before I pull the trigger. Seemed very similar the Champion 765 in power. That makes sense since they share the same line & lure ratings. 764 seemed a little faster in action than the 765......

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 am

I got mine in today. They look pretty good. It matched up well with the 5" roboworm swimbait . Are you guys doing anything extra to keep the swimbait on? I can see this being an issue and at the cost of the swimbaits I wouldnt want to have to change them out regularly.