Eakin's Jig - Love it or Hate it?

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Eakin's Jig - Love it or Hate it?

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 pm

I would say that the Eakin's Jig in Texas Craw with a Zoom Fat Albert Twin Tail in green pumpkin has quickly become my favorite all purpose jig. Anybody feel the same or hate it for that matter?

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Eakin's Jig - Love it or Hate it?

Post by Boondock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 am

Very good jigs IMO.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:30 am

Great little jig for sure. The flippin jig was good too until they started messing with it. I make my own jigs now but the Eakins jig is what got me started.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:41 am

I have some jigs from them. They're are OK for me.

mrbassky1
Angler
Angler

Post by mrbassky1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:05 am

I always have liked smaller jigs. Where I live it doesn't take a big sack to win most tournaments so a small jig gets the bites you need. I started out using bitsy bugs and they catch fish but they were crap quality they may make them better now I dont know. The ones I used would rust and the skirts melted off after a year it seems.

Anyway I liked them so much I even bought a Falcon Eakins Jig rod. Only thing is I don't use them much. Just seems the conditions aren't right for them to shine. In the spring and fall our lakes are stained enough to power fish and in the summer we always seem to fish at night. But when the time is right they shine and I am sure someday they will save my butt in a tournament.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am

while its not my go to anymore, i have probably caught more fish on a 5/16oz eakins jig with brown flat rubber skirt than any other jig i've ever thrown. they are the first i can remember with the weight along the hook shank so that you get the horizontal fall rather than head first fall which helps mimic crawfish very well. also, the small profile enables it to do a lot of things well. you can skip it, swim it, pitch it, and the list goes on and on.

i have been tying the omega baby j jigs the last year and they are an improvement over the eakins to me. they keep the same small profile but they stand up a little better and the hook is a wider gap and when it sticks them, they are stuck. cours i never had a problem losing fish with the eakins either.

one of the key to the eakins to me was that the 5/16oz jig was designed to be fished on .011 fluorocarbon and the 7/16oz jig was designed to be fished on .013" fluorocarbon based on reading some older articles. you can alter the fall rate by changing lines but those are the two base size i believe based on the article i read. the Eakins have one enough money off that bait that i wont' argue with them...

C_diesel2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by C_diesel2 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Love it....black and blue flash O:)

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Steve Williams wrote:while its not my go to anymore, i have probably caught more fish on a 5/16oz eakins jig with brown flat rubber skirt than any other jig i've ever thrown. they are the first i can remember with the weight along the hook shank so that you get the horizontal fall rather than head first fall which helps mimic crawfish very well. also, the small profile enables it to do a lot of things well. you can skip it, swim it, pitch it, and the list goes on and on.

i have been tying the omega baby j jigs the last year and they are an improvement over the eakins to me. they keep the same small profile but they stand up a little better and the hook is a wider gap and when it sticks them, they are stuck. cours i never had a problem losing fish with the eakins either.

one of the key to the eakins to me was that the 5/16oz jig was designed to be fished on .011 fluorocarbon and the 7/16oz jig was designed to be fished on .013" fluorocarbon based on reading some older articles. you can alter the fall rate by changing lines but those are the two base size i believe based on the article i read. the Eakins have one enough money off that bait that i wont' argue with them...
They really innovated the design...Made when Jim Eakins gave up trying to hide it and make some money instead...I can't say its the best hook ever made, but boy it has caught an awful lot of fish...

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Speaking of Omega, their regular finesse jig skips very well with an underhand pitch which got me to put one on a jig rod, along side my Eakins'.